It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-Duty Officer Fatally Shoots Unarmed Marine

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
baltimore police are notoriously corrupt. My fiance is from baltimore and the police there harass anyone for anything they feel like. my mother in law even took one to court for harassment and while i wont get into it as it is very personal. she won the case because the officer didn't show up but as a result NOTHING happened to the officers involved. and believe me they definitely harassed her.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I've read the article twice and I don't see anywhere that it states the officer wasn't arrested. Anyone from that area that can give an update?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have several friends who are police officers. In fact a few of them have been featured on the "Scariest Police Chases" series one even firing his weapon! After saying that let me state that I usually detest the average policeman, but there are a few out there with the best interest of the people they protect and serve. I'm not sure what policy is in other areas but here in GA when an officer discharges their weapon whether on or off duty there is always an investigation, as to whether it was "justified" or not. This investigation ALWAYS includes a drug test! The officer SHOULD have been arrested and booked immediately after refusing a breathalyzer, as some have said refusal is automatically pleading guilty to whatever charge there may be. I think the fact that this officer shot 13 times and only 6 shots found their mark at close range is a testament as to the inebriated state of the officer. This is nothing but cold blooded murder, and for what? Some guy was flirting with his girlfriend? If there were justice in the world this guy would wind up with a lethal injection.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I would hope this officer, if he had a problem with alcohol, was working in "lost and found" and not out on the streets. Or are we that hard up to find police, that this guy was on the streets when on duty?

Firearms have found a way into our colloquialisms. "The still commonly-used English expression of "going off half-cocked" derives from the failure of the half-cock mechanism to keep the hammer from falling and the subsequent failure to prevent a firearm from firing when unintended."

This guy did "go off half-cocked", "to take a premature or ill-considered action". And this time there was a death.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by desert]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dookzor

Originally posted by ISHAMAGI
I'm tired of all this different laws for different people nonsense!

Either the law applies to everyone or none, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Aside from the obvious boatload of wrong the cop has done here. Anyone shooting an unarmed man 13 times at close range is a murderer....

Those are the facts.

Sounds like Tyrone has a good family, my best to them.

I don't see where in the article it says the policeman is getting off 'scott-free'. Maybe you would be so kind as to show me where you got that impression?

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Dookzor]

He didn't get arrested! He walked away! Sure, its under investigation, but he's probably getting a lengthy paid vacation, as all cops do when their under 'investigation'.

Anyone not a police officer would have been tossed in the back of a patrol car immediately.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dizzychicken73
I've read the article twice and I don't see anywhere that it states the officer wasn't arrested. Anyone from that area that can give an update?

Maybe this...

The state's attorney's office will review the evidence and decide whether to file charges, which also is customary, he said.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I agree everyone should be equal. I have no qualms with that part of the argument.

What I was referring to is the fact that policeman don't hold a "normal" post in society and as such, should be afforded the benefit of the doubt in these situations until wrongdoing is proved to have taken place.

And yes, I know... 13 shots, unarmed guy, witnesses.... etc... There should definitely be an investigation. It may have even been prudent to have arrested him on the spot (IF everything reported was true

Facts are (IMO) that police officers are put into life endangering situations everyday and though they SHOULD be scrutinised and held accountable for their actions, they should also be free to use whatever force is necessary to ensure their own safety. The policeman in question could be in either of these two groups and I feel that some of the police-hating responses in this thread were massively premature given the lack of objective witnesses and lack of any real info in the OPs link.

For the record, I generally have a poor view of the police but I also disagree with the attitude some people have towards them.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Facts are (IMO) that police officers are put into life endangering situations everyday and though they SHOULD be scrutinised and held accountable for their actions, they should also be free to use whatever force is necessary to ensure their own safety.

This includes getting into a fight at a bar at 1:30 am and shooting 13 times into a crowd while hitting your target 6 times while off duty and then refusing to take a breath test? Not in my book friend.

On duty. Sure. Off duty. They are a regular Joe. Especially while out at a bar.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Facts are (IMO) that police officers are put into life endangering situations everyday and though they SHOULD be scrutinised and held accountable for their actions, they should also be free to use whatever force is necessary to ensure their own safety.

This includes getting into a fight at a bar at 1:30 am and shooting 13 times into a crowd while hitting your target 6 times while off duty and then refusing to take a breath test? Not in my book friend.

On duty. Sure. Off duty. They are a regular Joe. Especially while out at a bar.

I don't think it's as simple as "off-duty" - "on-duty" mate. I really do see your point and I'm not totally against what you're saying, I just don't see it as cut and dry as that.

I do find the refusing to take a breathalyser odd (and quite possibly indicative of what went down) but without a real investigation, I truely think any immediate action on ANY policeman in a situation like this will only serve to undermine their confidence in said situations and it'll only lead to more corruption in the end.

That being said, I would like to re-iterate that my comments have only gone on the information being represented. It's my own personal opinion that 'the people' are being turned against the authorities systematically throughout the western world and recently I have developed a huge mistrust in the media and what seems like a push to sour public opinion of the police.

I do think it is likely the policeman in the OP was involved in some wrongdoing, I would just rather he was judged after a thorough investigation, not lynched by the media beforehand.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I do find the refusing to take a breathalyser odd (and quite possibly indicative of what went down) but without a real investigation, I truely think any immediate action on ANY policeman in a situation like this will only serve to undermine their confidence in said situations and it'll only lead to more corruption in the end.

What if the policeman was drunk and out of control. Then the other police let him walk and then 2 hours later he shoots his girlfriend?

That is after all the way they treat us. If I had taken a gun to a bar and shot a man 6 times while shooting another 7 into a crowd. I would definately not have the leeway that this "officer of the law" has.

I would just rather he was judged after a thorough investigation, not lynched by the media beforehand.

Unlike what happens to the regular Joe? Why? Why should we give police officers any more leeway than we the regular people get while off duty?

This Tulsa cop was arrested just for welding and threatening with his weapon while drinking.

TULSA, OK -- A Tulsa police officer is out of the Tulsa County jail after officers said he pointed a gun at a bouncer and threatened to kill him. Witnesses say it happened after the officer was thrown out of a downtown Tulsa bar.

www.newson6.com...

But we have an off duty cop in Baltimore kill someone and he is just "investigated"?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

SnF to u m8 thanks for the post....

What is that I hear????

Hup 2 3 4 Close Ranks March 2 3 4!!!

Anyone doing this should be arrested until the facts become apparent to what has happened. In 9 out of 10 cases this happens unless one is a LEO or higher in rank in TPTB.

I wish I could comfort the family their boy Our service man death by a Leo and not on the battle field. Who would have thought...

edited to fix spelling mistake

[edit on 6/7/2010 by IceHappy]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It's rather obvious what occurred here. While I won't hold me breath on a truly
"thorough" investigation, it seems clear what happened here.

A cop, who has a history of firing his weapon while intoxicated as noted in the article (Guglielmi said Tshamba, a 15-year-veteran, shot a man in the foot after a confrontation while off duty in 2005. The shooting was found to be justified, but Tshamba was disciplined because he was under the influence of alcohol.), got in an altercation with the marine when the marine made advances towards a women the cop was with. The cop pulled out his gun, threatened the marine who tried to diffuse the situation, and murdered him.

The number of shots occurred clearly because the officer was intoxicated.

There are witnesses stating the marine was not hostile in any way and the cop was not in danger.

Anyone even suggesting the cop isn't guilty here with the information given is giving him the benefit of the doubt when anyone who wasn't a cop in this situation would be crucified by those saying otherwise. It's clear what happened, all it takes is common sense and logic. But when you need to defend someone well, those tend to go out the window for many.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is actually the third time he has shot someone, the first was in 1998 when he shot a fleeing suspect in the back after hearing a gunshot (the gunshot actually came from another officer's gun one block away).

Charges are pending with this one, the police know they are in real trouble for cutting him loose in 2005.

He'll get life in prison for this one, absolutely no question, it was murder.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
what's that I smell like bacon?

throw the pig in the sizzle chair and rid the world of another murderous idiot. There is a time and place for everything, this cop is a p.o.s.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark VA84
what's that I smell like bacon?

throw the pig in the sizzle chair and rid the world of another murderous idiot. There is a time and place for everything, this cop is a p.o.s.

Is this what passes as informed discussion these days?

I don't know so much about cleaning up the Baltimore police force, we need to start right here and clean up our own act on ATS.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Well stated Retseh and I starred you for your common sense, there needs to be more of it around here and less of the anarchy that seems to be the norm in some of these threads. I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but when the only comment is about killing cops we've passed the city limits sign of Loonyville.

[edit on 6/7/2010 by Dizzychicken73]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Many people who claim to uphold the law are the one's who abuse it the most, this is not only cops, but judges, and attorney's.

Maybe the kid's around here should think twice about picking on little billy next time, .... because in ten years he will probably be pulling you over.

no doubt due to his inferiority complex.

This cop is a 15 year old veteran, and anybody who has ever worked Union know how veteran's are treated and favored. All of the other cops are his friends !! of course their going to help cover this up for their buddy !

yet I hope Justice prevails, and this so called " peace officer" will be spending alot of time in a concrete box in the kneeling position.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

you are correct, sir, I apologize.

I have become accustomed to spewing thoughts out like it was a chat session, I will better moderate that.

I tend to get a little fired up when I hear news like this, and I would fully support the death penalty for this law enforcement officer. The "brotherhood" will most likely protect this gentlemen as they have in the past. My distain for a majority of law enforcement in this country is not unfounded, and if news like this does not set you off a little inside, then I wonder what does.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
My guess is that, given his seniority, the cop's union will supply him with the best lawyers that money can buy ... and he will get off with nothing more than a transfer to a desk job.

I am sure, tho, that some of his "buddies" will be glad he is off the street. I can't imagine that they like working with a trigger happy drunk.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark VA84

Shark - I applaud you for pulling back those comments, we all lose our cool every now and then, but having the integrity to retract a statement is the sign of a good guy in my experience.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join