It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin/Creation of Prostitution? Did $ Create Prostitution, or Did Prostitution Create $?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
i have been researching this question since some sources have said prostitution is the oldest profession.

Any opinions on this matter? since we are the caretakers, of our own history i was wondering if anyone on ats has an opinion they would like to share on this issue?

(and are we not obligated to our children and future generations to offer them an explanation for this?)

personally i think we all pander and sell our skills and resources, bodies abilities ...

but, is doing it for money the only thing that defines a Prostitution ?

any takers?

thanks,
john

**edited to replace the word "whore" with the word "Prostitution"

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I would say you could've stated your topic more aptly.

As far as your poorly put together topic, my reply is this: Prostitution is the oldest profession, unless anyone cares to disagree. I believe that before there was money, prostitution was still used as a means attaining food, shelter and luxuries. (needs and wants)

Can you blame the seductive nature of a sensual woman?

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Mr Objectivity]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Objectivity

As far as your poorly put together topic, my reply is this: Prostitution is the oldest profession, unless anyone cares to disagree. I believe that before there was money, prostitution was still used as a means attaining food, shelter and luxuries. (needs and wants)

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Mr Objectivity]

CASE CLOSED!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I would have to disagree.

farming building, woodworking, metal working, were all first before based upon the bible.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ronald Reagan once said prostitution is the oldest and politics is the second oldest. And he didn't see much difference between the two.

And I say both are done for money and power.....

[edit on 3-6-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

i would have liked to use the word "prostitute" or "prostitution", honest, but that would have made the title to the thread a bit too long.
but, yes i guess i could have stated it more aptly like this:

witch came first the chicken or the egg?

i like your response to the question, though. star!

nope, unless i wanted women to be less seductive and sensual.

however reviewing your answer, didn't that make sex the first currency?
....if it was the oldest profession, would that also make it the oldest currency?

just some thoughts.
thanks for the input,
john

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

advice accepted, i edited the title and the op to replace the word that offends some with the word prostitution.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

If you do not mind I'd like to field the currency issue with a no.
It was given for food, shelter, and that saber-tooth pelt
In exchange the most sucessful hunters got first dibs on a mate. Which back then I'd imagine attractivness as we view it would take a backseat to things like foraging skills and cooking

[edit on 3-6-2010 by hangedman13]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I would say something like tool making would be the first profession, I can't see sex becoming a livelihood before something that was essential to success of tribes or groups.

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
farming building, woodworking, metal working, were all first before based upon the bible.

The bible is no history book.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by PieKeeper]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

good ... simplistic and well stated.

are you really the keeper of pie?

are you aware that the last reduntancy to pi is eight prime numbers?

primates' prime eights, sorta ironic if true. i kow, no, i offer no proof.

just a thought, thank you for sharing. star.

The bible is no history book.

perhaps not, but there are aspects of it that are consistant with futuristic artificial intelligence. perhaps it is the futures' history book?

anagrams (phrases using same ingredients):
where god is:
gee, words. HI!

Star Trek Capt. wi
Patrick Stewart
_________

ufo buff? want disclosure?
disc low? sure.
disclosure

just some thoughts, a little off topic, but since two posters brought it up, thought i would weigh in some possibilities.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

to prostitute one's self is to sell one's self out.

that is, to TRADE precious personal commodities such as: abilities, talent, and even one's good name (if that is the kind of name that one has!) for LESS THAN ITS TRUE WORTH.

to short change the home team in the coin toss...knowing the coin is a trick coin and which side of the trick to take.

it has nothing to do with money or sex, by definition.
perhaps it is just the longest association it has with any particular commodity for sell and any particular currency for which said commodity is exchanged?

--------------

see man ticks, aside...

what came first?
chicken?
egg?
egg-head chicken?
chicken-hearted egg?

who knows?
i haven't the slightest clue anymore - at this late date, circular has obliterated all traces of that which started out linear, which means we'll probably never know.

i do have sufficient confidence to propose that the selling-out of selves began right about the time that Fear began to raise its furry head among human heads...saying LOOK AT ME!! LOOK, I FEAR!

this kind of craziness led to the devaluation of the soul, in the estimation of the soul - and devaluation directly precedes that which we are calling PROSTITUTION in this thread.

(i'm in a foul mood, can you tell?)

WAYFOUL

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
$ as you know it was created by aliens to god who were received well and took the gifts of their receipt as their own tool. prostitution is the use of this tool on the peoples who gifted the receipt holder.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The trade in sexual favours is a lot older than the human race. Nature invented it when she invented sexual competition. In human society this trade takes a variety of forms. Some of these forms are recognized as legitimate, even approved, and we have terms for them like marriage and betrothal. Slavery was once counted among these approved forms of sexual trade.

Others forms of the trade are for various reasons widely frowned upon or condemned, and have names like prostitution and concubinage.

I don't know if money created prostitution, but I'm sure money, or the concept of exchange, had to be there before it could be recognized as prostitution. When prostitution is spoken of as the oldest profession, it is not its age we meditate upon but the fact that it is a profession. Professionals do it - whatever it is - for money. So money - or at least some kind of barter system - has to have been in place before prostitutes could attain the status of professionals.

They were all amateurs before that.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
W e
H ave
O vercome
R esentment
E verafter

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

to prostitute one's self is to sell one's self out.

that is, to TRADE precious personal commodities such as: abilities, talent, and even one's good name (if that is the kind of name that one has!) for LESS THAN ITS TRUE WORTH.

for less than it's true worth. i like that annie! thanks.

see man ticks, aside...

who knows?
i haven't the slightest clue anymore - at this late date, circular has obliterated all traces of that which started out linear, which means we'll probably never know.

maybe the johns and prostitutes who preceeded the chickens' egg and/or the eggs' chicken might know? or maybe gods designed "it" with the intentions no one shall be guilty or blamed for the errors of others?

just som input.

i do have sufficient confidence to propose that the selling-out of selves began right about the time that Fear began to raise its furry head among human heads...saying LOOK AT ME!! LOOK, I FEAR!

hopefully curiosity and a healthy fetish for the truth may be able to incorporate fears' true potentials in a positive manner.

this kind of craziness led to the devaluation of the soul, in the estimation of the soul - and devaluation directly precedes that which we are calling PROSTITUTION in this thread.

amen, and maybe the soul makes a poor comodity. knot to be controlled, owned, or sold. knot given, knot taken.

(i'm in a foul mood, can you tell?)

WAYFOUL

it happens, and in some cases rage is justified, how we choose to vent that rage is personal.

personally, i like to see people venting that rage with communication.

enough communication and things can be further quantified.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
it happens, and in some cases rage is justified, how we choose to vent that rage is personal.

personally, i like to see people venting that rage with communication.

enough communication and things can be further quantified.

yeah, really.
:shk:

things are less likely to blow up and stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

ya, maybe if a few dicks knew how to better communicate then that arguement before deep horizons erupted in fire wouldn't have happend, ending with the creation of such a mess?

but i'm sure they know the importance of that lesson, and are more than willing to share with us all the details about what happened leading up to the event, so we can all learn from thier mistakes.

or, maybe they are just bad prostitutes, inept at free flowing information, better at free flowing poison toxins into our shared environment?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
In Sumeria there are two temples. The Men's Temple and the Women's Temple. The Men's Temple would be recognizable as a military headed by the king. The Women's temple, on the other hand, has been outlawed by so-called civilization.

Warning: This covers too many topics in too small a space, for me to care how little evidence I present for the following facts. Hopefully this sentence was egotistical, and hard headed enough to ring the bells of warning and put the reader on an attack footing.

A woman who wished to join the women's temple could not do so if they were a virgin. They would apprentice to the temple and when deemed ready would be given a gold coin with a picture of the king on it. That woman would then go outside the temple, sit down on the temple steps, and place the coin on the step next to her. Any man passing buy could take her inside and earn that coin by deflowering her. After that she is a full member of the Women's temple.

Notice here how the precedent is set for the entire history of western civilization. First one gets paid to do it, then one has to pay for it, for ever after. At first, so-called prostitution was paid for by the women. The king would occasionally go around and do gratis work. Eventually the King decided that any woman to be married was worthy of being in the Women's temple and he would visit her at night before her wedding. From this we have the ancient tradition of Prima Nocta. It was felt to be a compliment and a promotion. No payment necessary.

But forever after the payment goes the other way. It is interesting that round coinage (with a face) was invented to facilitate deflowering virgins in a holy capacity. Eventually the public grew weary of the king and his "favors" and cried out to the gods for deliverance as recorded in The Epic of Gilgamesh.

But notice the history of western Civilization.

Pythagoras, paid his student three oboli for each lesson he attended. But after a while he noticed they got over their initial reluctance and really got into it. He is attested to have commented that "eventually one day people would gladly pay to learn." See he thought math and geometry was cool, but no one was interested. So at first he had to pay the sons of nobles to learn the new math. Now we have to pay to be taught. As he predicted.

King Solomon had to pay to have the Temple built, but now church goers donate, not the ruler, and some of that goes to upkeep and occasionally building a new Church.

Bill Gates had to pay Computer Manufacturers to ship with windows installed. So a computer actually cost less with windows on it. In the early days anyway. We pay now.

The origin of Prostitution is what defines and permeates western culture.

new topics

top topics

join