It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are not addicted to oil, we are dependent on it...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
We are not addicted to oil, we are dependent on it.

I know it, You know it. and Your car knows it.

I dpn't get people who 'hate' petroleum as they inadvertanley use it everyday.

You see, people are hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
The word addicted makes it sound like oil is a bad thing. The people that use the word have an agenda of making oil seem as terrible as heroin.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by saabacura

Addiction and dependence are one in the same.

By being dependent on oil for such a vast portion of our energy needs, we are in turn "addicted" to it. That is the nature of dependence.

Everybody uses petroleum every day, regardless of their lifestyle choices. People "hate" on it because it is a filthy, non-renewable, expensive and inefficient form of energy. Using something out of necessity, and publicly lamenting it, is not hypocritical. We simply acknowledge the future need for clean renewable energy.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I disagree ... let's take American vehicles. They are generally known for their large engine size that consume obscene amounts of petrol.
The Hummer was one sign of that addiction.
Diesel cars are virtually unheard of, and any engine size under 2000cc is considered inadequate.

If you were merely dependent on oil, you would and could take steps to reduce that dependency by encouraging the use of more fuel efficient motors.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
hemp for victory in the 1930s, hemp for victory now

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Really though, there's nothing we can do with petroleum that we can't do with cannabis.

This isn't off-topic, it's more than pertinent...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The leaders are entirely to blame People have also been conditioned to belive many other things. Why arent alternative energy sources free and or mandatory. If we bacame self sufficient we wouldnt have to continuosly give them our money.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I am in total agreement with you we are not addicted to oil we are forced by the societies we live in to depend on the stuff.

Hemp, chip fat, organic waste and of course cycling and car sharing are the best ways forward IMHO.

Lastly, it doesn't matter if the oil companies raise their prices 300%+ the greedy consumers who care about nothing but themselves will still pay for it. we need to change the socieites we live in and start thinking about human collectiveness/preparedness in our own communities PAY IT FORWARD is the key to changing this world

S&F - Good thread

[edit on 3-6-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
True we may be 'addicted' to oil but what is the alternative? Liberals do not want nuclear energy, nor do they want windmills blocking their views, solar panels are okay so long as they are tastefully done. I imagine we will be reduced to horse and wagons just as soon as the liberals can get our populations down to manageble levels.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Hold on while I put my blinders on...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Hemp is the answer!
Hemp is the future!

LEGALISE HEMP!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by saabacura

Well, some of us are trying to save a lot of gas, as you can see here:
Turn Your Car/Truck Into a HHO/Gas Hybrid With this little device, I can drive right by the gas station with a smile on my face. I am ordering the MAP Sensor Enhancer today, and with being about to take control of my fuel delivery manually, I am certain I will be getting over 50 mpg highway, and perhaps 40 city. As you can see at the site, these complete units sell really fast, the owner told me he had sold over 1000 units in two weeks. Yes, some of us are doing something!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

New Catalyst for Electrolysis Reduces Costs by 97% and Increases Hydrogen Production 400%

Hydrogen, the cleanest energy storage in the Universe, is most of the time associated with high costs, although it is extracted from water, which is the cheapest yet the most precious element to life. Extracting hydrogen from water is done through a method called electrolysis, but doing electrolysis efficiently requires the usage of catalysts such as platinum, which is very expensive. GA-based GridShift Inc., funded by Khosla Ventures announced the discovery of a new water electrolysis technology that uses no expensive metals such as platinum. GridShift brags their technology reduces the costs with the catalysts by 97 percent, with an ounce costing just $58, as opposed to $1700 an ounce for platinum. “Hydrogen is a critical piece of America’s future renewable energy policy,” said Robert Dopp, CEO of GridShift, Inc. “Our new water electrolysis process generates carbon neutral hydrogen that is cheaper than gasoline at a fraction of the cost and size of currently available water electrolysis hydrogen generators. We are now on the path to a truly viable hydrogen fueled future.”
www.greenoptimistic.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
[edit on 11-6-2010 by saabacura]

top topics

join