It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer: Stories, Links and related information

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Stem cell transplants do not benefit patients with breast cancer, research has shown.
Studies had suggested they improved the success of chemotherapy in patients with breast tumours.

But Swiss research, published in the journal Annals of Oncology, found the transplants had failed to live up to early hopes.

However the transplants do help some patients with blood cancers, as the illnesses react differently.

Stem cell transplants have been used in cancer treatments as a way of trying to enable the body to cope with high doses of chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

linky

There are more links to related stories and websites on the side of the page...also there are other articles posted on stem cell research on the medical forum

IMO:

I wish this had been successful or had at least shown us some knowledge we could have used against the fight against cancer...maybe in the future after more study!

gryff

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by Gryffen]

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

One in every nine women in the UK will develop breast cancer at some point in her life - more than 41,000 cases are diagnosed each year.
It has become the most common cancer in the UK, and is the leading cause of death for women aged 34 to 54.

Despite recent improvements in the mortality rates, due to better treatments and earlier detection, the UK still has one of the highest mortality rates in the world.

But research is beginning to reap dividends in new ways of understanding how breast cancer cells work.

breast cancer

A survivor's story: Breast cancer

Natalie Boston was 26 when she found what every woman dreads - a breast lump.
Most lumps turn out to be benign - or caused by an infection, but doctors urge women to be aware of any changes, so that any cancer can be caught early.

Natalie, from London, was treated with aggressive chemotherapy and radiotherapy and later needed a single mastectomy - but is happy with the reconstructive surgery that followed.

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:

BCA
Break through
Cancer reaserch uk

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
little update for anyone who is interested or could bother about it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scientists say a discovery about how cancer cells "live forever" could lead to new treatments.
Healthy cells have timers so they only live as long as they are needed.

Cancer cells do not have these timers and so can keep on replicating, say researchers from Cancer Research UK, writing in the journal Cell.

And they warn that if this 'timer' could be applied to healthy cells, slowing their ageing process, they could then become cancerous themselves.

story

well looks like the war on cancer has just got a bit more interesting

This is the Cancer Research and information site:

research

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
More info....if yer gettin bored of this just delete it

Woman confused over breast advice

Women are confused and feel misled about ways of detecting breast cancer, research shows.
Official information is vague, ambiguous and culturally insensitive, according to a report in the Journal of Medical Ethics.

This leaves women totally unsure of what to look for, the London study revealed.

Breast cancer experts say health information needs to be streamlined to avoid confusion.

The study, carried out in east London, analysed official information provided in leaflets and websites relating to the three detection methods currently in use - breast screening, breast self examination and breast awareness.

story

more info is available on the side...links to related information and so forth

G

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Nice work, Gryffen! I hope you'll post occasional updates in this thread.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Just another couple of updates i found via search engines and our main BBC health zone:

Breast Cancer ignorance revealed

Three quarters of women over the age of 50 do not realise that breast cancer is more common as women age, according to a survey.
Many are also ignorant about other facts which doctors say could save their lives by allowing them to seek treatment early.

One in five women over 50 do not check their breasts for changes from time to time, and the same percentage fail to attend breast screening.

It is hoped the survey, commissioned by charity Breast Cancer Care, will boost women's knowledge about the disease.

story

Also

Clues to why Breast Cancer spreads

British scientists have taken a step forward in their effort to find out why breast cancer spreads to other parts of the body.
They have found that certain types of cancerous cells are attracted to other areas by a naturally occurring protein.

They have shown that blocking this protein, which is called uPA, can stop the cancer from spreading.

Writing in the Journal of Cell Biology, they said the discovery could lead to new treatments to fight the disease.

Story

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
How scary that those mutated cells don't die off like healthy cells.

I started looking up info when I saw the 1 in 9 stats for the UK...it 1 in 8 in America, although the death rate is declining here. In Australia it's like 1 in 2440!!
www.bol.ucla.edu...

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I found this on the web and thought us woman on ATS may want some info on it/...hence the whole damn thread to be honest....since some of us..even me has been touched by BC in some way.

It pretty much sums up the whole Hormonal Therapy research and human testing and a lot of other information.

Linky

if i find anymore links they i will post them ok....or do u have a specific cancer u want me to look into then please lemme know or drop a reply..

c u soon

gryff

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
it may be just me but there is a lot of ways to treat cancer but they can never find one that works 100%
maybe in time there will perfect a drug than will work 100% on people that have cancer

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Actually, I'd kind of like to see a women's medical issues thread... I suppose it could be weakly justified as a conspiracy since the bulk of the research tends to be on conditions that affect both sexes... or affect men.

(and I'm sure you women can growl, "amen!" when you think of the number of products designed to help men with low libidos... and the LACK of same for women with the same condition.)

This lack of research and attention and lack of solid medical treatment can turn women into victims. Although the medical establishment doesn't seem as concerned about aggressively addressing some of these issues, it seems like every snake-oil salesbeing in the universe has some sort of "herb" (which could be grass clippings for all we know) that's designed to help... at $36-$60/bottle.

Argh. I feel another rant coming on! Time to hop off the soap box!

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hiya peeps

Found this while looking on the BBC main news website....

More than one in three of us will develop cancer at some point in our lives.

Excluding certain skin cancers, there were more than 220,000 new cases of the disease in 2000.

Some cancer, such as breast, are becoming more common, while new cases of lung cancer fall away due to the drop in the number of smokers.

However, while the overall number of new cancers is not falling, the good news is that cure rates for many of the most common types are improving rapidly

Cancer Links

On the page is also links to many various types of cancer including the more common versions of Breast, Colon, Lung etc.

Most of the links will lead to a various website with even more information but this is the best main research link on the various cancers that i have come across so far.

It also gives details on Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy and assorted other treatments..including information on the Stem Cell research.

Hope this helps anyone who is lookin for the information.

gryff

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Even though I have "Given" up I still have the odd sly cigg every now and then when somthing pee's me off or I get stressed out i see the the TV ads all the time and the warnings and yes it does bother me and make's me think but yet I still ignore it .
I think quiet some of teenage smokers start at college due to them fiting in pr it was the case when i started at college but not trying to fit in .

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Dinna worry se7en...i quit just under a year ago and i am really glad i did cause i now know that it was affecting my performance at work and causing a health risk...no matter how good having a few drags out of it seemed.

Contrary to what some people think...yes,...even in the medical world...one cigg doesnt start giving u cancer...its a lot of diffrent factors involved and it can happen very quickly or very slowly...

I know one man who smoked 20 ciggs a day for the last 40yrs of his life and he doesnt have cancer...yes he has bad bronchitis but he was severly asthmatic when he was younger.

i admit that i have had a couple of sneaky ciggs when i was stressed out...but since i have quit...i havna smoked more than 4 ciggs.

Good luck to all those tryin to quit and well done to those who have...i know it aint easy.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Over a third of parents say their children have suffered sunburn, a survey reveals.
The poll also reveals that 41% like to see their children with a tan.

Cancer Research UK ,which commissioned the survey, said the findings showed many parents were failing to take skin cancer warnings seriously.

The findings were published to mark a new public awareness campaign, which will see posters in nurseries, GP surgeries and outlets of Boots.

story

Here are some other links related to this story and skin cancer:

Young face skin cancer 'Timebomb'

Skin cancers

British Skin Foundation

If u just click on the first link there are a few good stories left on the right hand side.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I dont think I would let my kid cook in sun id make sure he/she would have proper sun block I would't like to run the risk of them getting cancer at an early age

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It's hard getting the sunblock right for individual skins. My brother tanned easily -- I sunburnt like the dickens. However, he's now outdoors more than I am and so things may even out, here.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Young people who are treated for cancer are not always told it may affect their future fertility, a survey suggests.
The charity Teenage Cancer Trust questioned 450 teenagers at a meeting in Sherwood Forest last weekend.

Just one in three said they were told their treatment could cut their chances of having children later in life.

The charity urged doctors and nurses to ensure young people are made aware of their options - such as freezing eggs or sperm - before having treatment.

story

here are some related stories about teenage cancer and related links to research:

How teenagers deal with cancer

parents can help diagnose cancer

Teenage Cancer Research Org

As usual there is more links on the right hand side for u and any specific cancer u wish me to look into just ask ok

gryff
xx

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is anouther factor that bothers me besides the outher issue if if I caught testicular cancer then I wasn't told the options before the treatment id be one very peed of person. I think they some make more of an effort in telling you the options not just put it down to the doctors and nurses but also tv adverts and bill boards aswell

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Scientists have identified a further gene which increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer.
An international study of 20,000 women found having a faulty version of the CHEK2 gene doubles their cancer risk.

UK women have a one in nine chance of developing breast cancer. Carrying CHEK2 increases that to one in four.

The American Journal of Human Genetics study said the findings brought a comprehensive genetic test of breast cancer risk a step closer.

story

Further links to stories and info:

New breast cancer gene discovered

Cancer Research Epidemiology Unit HP

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
A rise in consumption of fizzy drinks could be to blame for some cancers of the gullet, research suggests.
A team from India's Tata Memorial Hospital found consumption of carbonated drinks had increased five-fold in the US in the last 50 years.

They linked this to a six-fold increase in oesophageal cancer in white men - who consume the most fizzy drinks.

However, other scientists have questioned whether a link exists, and called for more research.

ALSO

High hopes for blood cancer drug

A new drug may provide hope for people with a form of blood cancer that has been highly difficult to treat is launched in the UK on Wednesday.
In clinical trials Velcade has been shown to slow, halt or even reverse the progression of multiple myeloma.

One trial was so promising, it was halted a year early.

Scientists hope the drug will also prove effective as a treatment for cancers of the lung, breast, ovaries, prostate and colon.

Gullet cancer

Blood cancer drug

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join