It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer: Stories, Links and related information

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
deleted accidental repeat post

[edit on 6-6-2004 by harrisjohns]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
Mods...can u merge this thread with my one...kinda wanted this to become the main cancer thread...loads and info comes in handy cause cancer is so common these day.

Would love to but the "merge" function is a bit wacky. No telling what will come out.

So again, let me post the link to the excellent research of Gryffen and others... Cancer: stories, info and other links

...and leave this one open for now to cover the more conspirical possibilites and speculations. Best I can do.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Seeings how cancer for the most part can be successfully treated if caught early enough, it's quite obvious that plenty of money has gone into research.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
A good site for alternative cures is educate-yourself.org... A lab technician once said you have to grow cancer in an acid base without oxygen, otherwise it will not grow. Now if I were studying cancer and a cure...why not start there? The biggest problem, is the body cannot fight cancer if the body is acidic. There are numerous links on the internet about neutralizing the body to a natural balance.
As far as cancer research goes....Dr Rife had a cure years ago and the president of AMA at that time put a stop to it, because Dr. Rife wouldn't sell him the patent on it. He developed a machine that would resonate at a frequency that would destroy the cancer...and the neat thing about this was, it only took a few minutes every two or three days. Fifteen cancer patients went to a ranch in California for this research and of the 15 all were cured in three months. Dr. Hulda Clark does work similar to this,but she believes parasites are a factor in creating cancer in the body.
Now we have the traditional, chemotherapy and radiation, which destroys an already weakened body. I have seen so many people go through this type of therapy and it is so sad to watch them suffer and they never get better! I would like to know what the real statistics are on people surviving with this treatment and how long they live after the cancer has been "destroyed".
Is it about money? It is always about money. The best thing to do is take responsibility for your own health and educate yourself because it is YOUR temple you are living in.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Diabetes linked to bowel cancer

People with diabetes could be up to three times more likely to get bowel cancer, research suggests.
Diabetes is caused by the inability of the body to break down sugar in the normal way.

It seems that the high sugar levels that result may also increase the risk of bowel cancer.

The research, by Cancer Research UK and the Medical Research Council, is published in Cancer Epidemiology and Biomarkers and Prevention.

Diabetes related to bowel cancer

more info

Cancer Epidemology BioMakers and Prevention

Diabetes Info

AND

Expert sparks row on sun exposure

A US doctor has claimed warnings about getting skin cancer from the sun may have done more harm than good.
Dr Michael Holick says we are missing out on essential vitamin D by staying out of the sun - and that causes thousands of deaths each year.

However, his controversial views have cost him his job as Professor of Dermatology at the Boston University School of Medicine.

And UK experts have warned excessive sun exposure is dangerous.

Sun Cancer

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Lung Cancer is pretty much a death sentence. Some people live 1 to 5 years after diagnosis but they all die. I could not fond one lung cancer survivor on the web.

My Mother died 4 June 2004 after being diagnosed in February. She quit smoking nearly 12 years ago.... The doctor told her that smoking was the most likely cause for here cancer even though she had quit that long ago.

I quit smoking a few months before we found out about mom. I just hope I didnt wait to long to quit. I guess Ill know in 20 years or so =/. Quit now!~ I did after 14 years and I am sure you can to. I was up to 2 packs a day to.. I got a boat payment now with the cash I am saving from quiting =).

My mom was 63 and was really healthy other than the cancer. Her first grandchild is due in 3 months =/.

If this helps one of you quit then it was worth typing this. It is very true unfortunately. Not sure what life will be like now without a mom. At least I had her for 35 years.

X

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
One thing is for certain. If they did find a cure BILLIONS of dollars would be lost in care and medicines currently in use. Sad but I do belive humanity is greedy enough to do something as bad as hiding cures for deadly illness if enough money is involved.

Cirgarette companies should invest heavily in cancer research if they want to be around much longer. Funny how they may be our only hope...

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
my belief is cancer will never go away, why would anyone want to get rid of a cash cow. yes a lot of money is spent on cancer research, but does that compare to the money generated by treating cancer, i think not. i find it hard to believe that since my uncle died of cancer some thirty years ago, not that much has really changed, we still treat cancer the same way as we did thirty years ago.
i believe cancer could easily be cut down some by paying attention to cancer rates among different people of the world, what are they eating, what are they doing differently, what are the rates of breast cancer among Japanese women Vs American women, etc. if i had cancer that would be the first place i would look, i would try to change what i was doing to my body as opposed to the cut /chemo route.
When you look at all the crap we eat and drink it's no wonder cancer is not going anywhere anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Ooooo.....you people just don't get it. There will NEVER be a cure for cancer or any other disease.

There's big money being made by "medical research" and "cure" is a dirty word....."continuing expensive treatment" is preferred.

In the interim.....new diseases, along with associated "research" dollars are warmly encouraged.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Scientists have identified a gene which could identify how aggressive a man's prostate cancer will be.
The research, by experts at the Institute of Cancer Research Everyman Centre, should lead to a test to identify aggressive cancers.

The E2F3 gene may also act as a focus for the development of drugs to treat prostate cancer, the most common to affect UK men, the researchers say.

The findings will be published in the journal Oncogene.

Twenty-seven thousand prostate cases are diagnosed each year and the disease kills 10,000 men a year.

link

ALSO

Breast cancer drug is lifesaver

A breast cancer drug could save the lives of thousands of women living with the disease.
Research on women with early stage breast cancer found taking letrozole after a course of another drug, tamoxifen, cut death rates by 39%

Until now there have been no treatment options for women who finish their course of tamoxifen after five years.

The international study, of 5,200 women, included five hospitals in the UK.

Link

Related Links

A-Z of cancer

Welsh Cancer Bank 'first for UK'

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Many thanks, Gryffen

This thread has been helpful in a number of ways. I have shared some of the stories and research from here -along with that which I gathered on my own- with my wife. This week she began caring for her mom daily. Her mom is in the final stages of heavily metastasized ovarian cancer which she has battled for four years. The doctors have suspended all treatment, and hospice has taken over her pain management and some personal care.

By reading this material my wife has felt a little less alone in the world. She asked me to wish you well, and hopes you will carry on.

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
The stigma attached to lung cancer can have far reaching consequences for patients, research suggests.
Oxford University researchers found many patients felt people blamed them for their illness because it is so strongly associated with smoking.

They also found that anti-smoking campaigns helped to fuel prejudice, which resulted in damaged relations with family, friends and doctors.

The study, of 45 patients, is published by the British Medical Journal.

Linky

Related Links

DIPEX.org *personal experience stories*

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Why are men so reluctant to go to the doctor or admit they have a health problem until they are quite literally at death's door?

It is an age-old problem recognised by wives, mothers, girlfriends and the medical profession and National Men's Health Week is being launched to combat this very serious condition.

Spearheaded by the Beating Bowel Cancer charity and the Men's Health Forum, it aims to highlight the importance of early diagnosis.

One bowel cancer survivor believes it was largely because of her "feminine persistence" in the face of medical hesitance that she is alive today.

It is an attribute she believes men must adopt if they are to have a good chance of surviving this very treatable disease.

story

Related Links

beating bowel cancer

related bbc links

bowel cancer campaign

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
A report by the government's cancer tsar into why some patients are still being denied key drugs is due to be published on Monday.
Health Secretary John Reid ordered the inquiry last October.

It has examined why there are variations in the prescription of drugs recommended by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence.

The report is expected to be highly critical of differences in the way cancer services are provided.

Dr Reid and Health Minister Lord Warner will set out plans to try to ensure that all patients are given equal assess to care, regardless of where they live.

Pharmaceutical companies have also suggested the situation had worsened since NICE issued its treatment guidelines.

probe

related links

NHS Cancer Plan

Mens Health Forum

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
found some more usefull info for the reaserch project we can use and If its the salford uni im thinking of I might take a trip down and ask some questions about it what you think?

An extract found in the leaves of a mint-like Chinese herb could be used to fight cancer, researchers say.
A drug based on the extract of Scutellaria barbata works by destroying the blood vessels supplying tumours.

It should have fewer side effects than conventional treatments which attack healthy cells as well as cancerous cells, say the researchers.

Professor Alan McGown and colleagues at the University of Salford hope to test the drug in cancer patients soon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Mint leaf starves cancer to death

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Cancer is a scary thing- 1 in 3 people will get some form of cancer.

My grandma fought breast cancer twice, but then she developed throat cancer and within a year she died- she ended up with tumours in her head and she couldnt move or do anything. The rate that cancer can spread is unbelievable and very scary.

We were with her all through this and i hated the way she was kept alive for weeks but in a comatose state- no reactions and no senses- but that is another matter.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Veg combos ward off cancer best & How our ancestors avoided cancer

new cancer update on the bbc shows that "Eating tomatoes and broccoli together may offer better protection against cancer than eating either vegetable alone, say US researchers. "

BBC news
Both vegetables are known to contain cancer-fighting chemicals, but the authors say when put together, they interact to maximise the effect.

Rats fed both vegetables together had less prostate cancer growth than rats fed either tomatoes or broccoli

BBC news
We all seem to know someone who has had it and the global picture is far from encouraging with incidence rates rising year on year.

The increase is largely explained by the fact that the population is steadily ageing, but it is also associated with unhealthy lifestyles, smoking and obesity.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

some more info for our reaserch team still keeping an eye out for more information check out our Cancer reaserch thread the one intrested me was the How our ancestors avoided cancer. As time has progressed we have found new foods and chemicals that cause cancer even thought it was still around but not nearly as much then as now. I wonder what the situation will be like 100 years down the line ?ats

[edit on 16-7-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Scientists at Scotland's top cancer research institute have been awarded a share in an �8m European grant.
The Beatson Institute in Glasgow will take part in Interaction Proteome, a project which will bring together Europe's leading researchers.

It aims to catalogue the complex functions and interactions of thousands of proteins found in the human body.

The project will analyse which proteins have a role in cancer and identify new targets for anti-cancer drugs.

related links

beatson oncology center

news story

Another great step towards oncology research.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As mentioned above, there are alternative cures to cancer........
the establishment is trying to kill us for a profit. Here is a good link.

educate-yourself.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
US scientists have found a test that appears to be 100% effective at detecting early ovarian cancer.
The test measures patterns of protein markers in a sample of a woman's blood.

National Cancer Institute researchers say the high-resolution mass spectrometry test allows cells that would lead to cancer to be identified.

Writing in the journal Endocrine-Related Cancer, they say it could be used routinely to diagnose early ovarian cancer in a few years time.

Ovarian cancer is the fourth most common cancer among British women, with 6,800 new cases each year.

ovarian cancer

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join