It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: BP dismantling the Gulf oil spill BOP

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Imagine having an industrial pressure washer going at full blast 3000 + psi and then you take a bench vise and tighten down in the middle of the metal shaft. You might not stop the flow completely, but it will be reduced by like 90 percent. The vice never comes in contact with the pressure flow.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
So i have been watching for the last 3 hours the BOP live feed. They indeed where cutting the bolts to remove bent pipe from BOP so they can "attempt" to attach another BOP to clean flange.

After view of ROV leaving placed cutting device the camera has moved on to other non important views, then........the whole place was engulfed with a foaming oil/water/bubble mix. Now live feed is off line.

It is easy to surmise what would happen as the cutting tool cuts through. First a lateral mess of pressure until cut is complete, then a completely unrestrained flow through an 8 inch pipe till who knows when and if a new BOP can be mated.

Should be interesting to see what the live feed will show when it comes back on line.

www.bp.com...

[edit on 1-6-2010 by The Great Day]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
What's got me all worked up is that the crimping idea can be tested so easily and has the potential to reduce the flow of oil. What BP is about to do will increase the flow of oil with the hopes of some un-tried method working. There going right to plane Z with out trying plans D through X. This is why BP should have been pushed aside a month ago.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mogwomp

Well its too late, nothing to crimp now unless they can crimp the whole BOP, everything above it is gone now.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Oh man I thought they had some of the greatest minds working on this, how very disconcerting. This problem needs to be figured out like they do it on Mythbusters with a scale model. That scale model would be a pressure washer all but about $400.00 from your local hardware store. I have other ideas that seem very promising, but the crimping method just seems the easiest to pull off. Another idea I had was to use something like a big pop rivet, the way they expand. Or even a shaped charge that could be placed around a sleeve that once in position could be detonated and would fuse the metal together on an atomic level, again something that could be easily tested.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?

Originally posted by alexhiggins732

A massive oil chimney has not been tried. There containment dome idea sucked. The dome wasn't even solid. That was not a chimney. It was a vacuum.

Doesn't matter if its solid or not, will still freeze.

A chimney would be a big enclosure from the bottom of the seafloor to the surface that could be as big as needed and keeps the oil confined are in a relativity that can easily be processed on the surface.

Ludicrous, no-ones gonna build a 5000ft chimney underwater anyway.

As far as your objection to the BOP cutting ideas I must disagree, in face other blowouts have been fixed by cutting or remove a damaged BOP taking it to the surface, repairing it and the reinstalling it.

Sounds like you made that up, I'll stand corrected if you can post evidence of that.

The nuke idea involves drilling alongside the whole and detonating it under ground, your argument that a nuke has not been designed that can be detonated a that level makes no sense.

To make a nuclear reaction you need only to fire two pieces of nuclear material that have a total mass greater than the critical mass of the material. Once an amount greater than the critical mass exists as a single mass the the chain reaction is started which causes the radioactive material to decay rapidly until the material reaches its critical mass at which point it will decay according to its normal half life.

Seriously, It's really not that complicated. You take two shells using the radioactive material as the bullet and fire them at each other. When they collide, nuclear reaction. The tricky science actually involves fire multiple "radioactive bullets" simultaneously so they all collide at the same time in addition to designing a casing the refracts as many electrons as possible inwards to continue the chain reaction so that they are not lost.

Now you mean to tell me that they you can fire two bullets at 5,000 ft. Nonsense.

Thanks for the attempted lesson in nuclear physics if you really think that its simple, ask yourself why everyone doesn't have one lol. What you've said is insane, firing two bullets at the same time underwater next to the well at 5000 feet so that they go pop at the same time after being aimed at the hole ya just drilled and stop the leak oh and do some more at the same time as well. Nah not that complicated at all.
I'll just nip out to my shed and make a couple of them special nuclear guns that fire stuff 5000ft under water. Please.........

Further more the gravity inside of the sun is much greater, while that does use fusion we have those bombs as well.

This one's got me, what the ... does the gravity of the sun have to do with any of this?

And ya say I'm talkin nonsense hahahaha ok.

Do your own research..

BOP surface retrieval outlined in this white paper
media.mcclatchydc.com...

Here's a patent that refers to taking BOP to the surface.
www.patentstorm.us...

There are also articles that describe BOP's being taken to the surface, repaired then reinstalled... but they have been buried due to all the coverage of this event. If I find the original article I read I will post a link to that as well.

And as far as nuke... of course the pieces are inside of the casing... your point makes no sense...

As far the the gravity of the sun.. you made a point that a nuke couldn't be denoted under such extreme pressure.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Can we actually address whats going on according to the visuals BP feeds us? And perhaps validate what i have seen and posted instead of little sword waving?

Or debunk.......sorry if my insecurity needs validating but i feel what i saw was pivotal and news worthy....if true.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
"Operations to skim oil from the surface of the water have now recovered, in total, some 321,000 barrels (13.5 million gallons) of oily liquid. "

From BP's latest press release here. www.bp.com...

321000 barrels collected ? Makes you wonder just how much hasnt been collected !

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
They have the diamond saw set up to cut the pipe just above the BOP.

But they also have a giant jaw type metal shear to cut something??????.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I'm watching it live. Let me guess they are going to cut the riser right above the BOP first. Then they will use the big yellow claw to then cut the riser into a managable section that can be easily removed only there won't be any oil flowing through it so we won't be able to see how the flow might be reduced by the use of the yellow claw.

I thought these guys were scientific. Why not cut a piece of the riser right above where it is flowing out that other leak we have been seeing the one that is horizontal. There would be nothing to loose and I know it would reduce the flow. It seems that would be the logical scientific thing to do. That way we could see how the yellow claw effects the flow. I know that claw could easily be modified to smash together rather than cut.

If it could be modified to clamp the end of the riser and stay there, thus reducing the flow. I think a top kill could be tried again with the increased back pressure it might just work.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day
Can we actually address whats going on according to the visuals BP feeds us? And perhaps validate what i have seen and posted instead of little sword waving?

Or debunk.......sorry if my insecurity needs validating but i feel what i saw was pivotal and news worthy....if true.

Sounds like a plan.

There is a giant claw. Video footage is available on the internet.

Also it appears that the riser pipe has broke from the BOP before BP could cut off. There is now a huge amount of oil shooting out of the BOP where the riser kinks used to be.

You can see more video footage of both of these here..
http://(nolink)/2010/05/31/live-video-blogging-bp-gulf-oil-spill-live-webcam-lmrp-feed-footage/

Please debunk or add input.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by alexhiggins732]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by alexhiggins732

Ok, ya wana split hairs now. None of what you have shown involves taking a BOP to the surface whilst leaving a completed blowing well spewing out of control.

Secondly, as far as the nuke goes, I'm pretty damned sure you knew I was referring to the bomb as a unit and not implying that a nuke detonation cannot take place at pressure.

I refuse to entertain more of your bias retorts, many of which are unsubstantiated, conveniently omitting critical aspects in order to further your own argument. If you choose to only see or read what you want to, then argue about it then go ahead, however I prefer to be less close minded.

I leave you with this.

[edit on 1/6/2010 by who-me?]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

LOL.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
wasn't that the point of using the junk shoot? to try and reduce the flow. They gave up on that it seems and that was there best shot at getting this thing plugged up until this point. They have the ultimate tool to reduce the flow that big yellow claw and they are not going to even use it?? I can't believe what is unfolding before my eyes. They threw the whole scientific method right out the window.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

So i have been watching for the last 3 hours the BOP live feed. They indeed where cutting the bolts to remove bent pipe from BOP so they can "attempt" to attach another BOP to clean flange.

After view of ROV leaving placed cutting device the camera has moved on to other non important views, then........the whole place was engulfed with a foaming oil/water/bubble mix. Now live feed is off line.

It is easy to surmise what would happen as the cutting tool cuts through. First a lateral mess of pressure until cut is complete, then a completely unrestrained flow through an 8 inch pipe till who knows when and if a new BOP can be mated.

Should be interesting to see what the live feed will show when it comes back on line.

www.bp.com...

i think you two are missing something,

2 hours ago I witnessed the bent top pipe on top of BOP being cut off. BOP bent over slightly from original sinking of drilling rig accident. Right now....oil is gushing uninhibited from an 8 inch pipe....the big clamp is to pull the "cut" bent leaking riser off the BOP valve. Someone please decipher my original post in this thread.

the views"right now" are ove the yellow clamp maneuvering severed top pipe.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by alexhiggins732

All id like to say here is good luck...its an eco-disaster and when i see an animal in pain im in pain also.. i guess i should be glad the msm isnt showing us the full effects of it yet.

Like i said, i hope they manage to do something about it soon...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

www.bp.com...

i think you two are missing something,

2 hours ago I witnessed the bent top pipe on top of BOP being cut off. BOP bent over slightly from original sinking of drilling rig accident. Right now....oil is gushing uninhibited from an 8 inch pipe....the big clamp is to pull the "cut" bent leaking riser off the BOP valve. Someone please decipher my original post in this thread.

I of the opinion that the riser pipe has broken off the BOP as shown in the title of video that I posted. I started another thread about the topic but it has been deleted!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
they cut a bunch of stuff off of the riser but it is still on the BOP attached and bent spewing out the crease points. They haven't cut it yet with the diamond band saw but seems they are about to any min. This is not the right thing to do there are still things that can be tried before they do this. There will be no going back once they cut the riser with the diamond band saw.

Everyone buckle up! BP is about to increase oil flow by 60%. I can't believe the Feds are letting a foreign corp. do this.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogwomp
they cut a bunch of stuff off of the riser but it is still on the BOP attached and bent spewing out the crease points. They haven't cut it yet with the diamond band saw but seems they are about to any min. This is not the right thing to do there are still things that can be tried before they do this. There will be no going back once they cut the riser with the diamond band saw.

Everyone buckle up! BP is about to increase oil flow by 60%. I can't believe the Feds are letting a foreign corp. do this.

i think i am some sort of time warp....this is contradictory to what i saw and stand by in original post. Do we in South East Asia have a different feed?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
At about 2:30 in the second video alexhiggins732 posted you can still see the white part of the riser sticking up above the yellow rov. IT HAS NOT BEEN CUT YET. They are preparing to cut it. Trust me when they cut that thing the flow rate is going to jump up exponintialy you will know when it has been cut.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join