It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: BP dismantling the Gulf oil spill BOP

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tomdham

Haha, I do suppose he's not dead yet. Homage was a poor choice, let's go with respect.

This is what happens when I stay up too late.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I pesonally trust that Bill Nye has interest in the matter, he is extremely ecologically aware and active, it is his pet interest.

He is not a geologist, but I still think his answers to questions about the oil leak and solutions for it were much more honest and to the point than anything I have heard from BP, Obama or any other person.

He said there are already cracks in and around the leak itself, and that it is very fragile right now. I think he may know what he is talking about.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
I pesonally trust that Bill Nye has interest in the matter, he is extremely ecologically aware and active, it is his pet interest.

He is not a geologist, but I still think his answers to questions about the oil leak and solutions for it were much more honest and to the point than anything I have heard from BP, Obama or any other person.

He said there are already cracks in and around the leak itself, and that it is very fragile right now. I think he may know what he is talking about.

Really Bill Nye the science guy? Sorry for my ignorance but I watched this guy as a kid and he knows how to put on a good show for 12 y/o's at school but I never figured him to be a "real" scientist. I could be wrong, but tell me please he isn't just entertaining the public interest with grade school science like he did to our class as a kid.
I think he's a nice guy, but c'mon he's on CNN? This guy was competing with beakmans world when I was growing up.
That's our guy we look to as adults now?
I hope there's someone else who can shine matters rather than a childs science teacher, or is that what we've come to?
Please tell me he's smarter than what I think he is.
Because if so I am all for it, but my main point resides.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Dear Space Cadet,
The only interests IMO that Bill Nye, "The Science Guy", has in this game is
no more than anyone of us. Unless, of course his BP stock return is of interest and he is making a few $'s on each appearance.

He may be as green as they come but the only information he has is the same as we have, unless he has some "secret" inside sources.

Yes, I am sure this may be one of his "pet" interests, hobbies or whatever but he is not an EXPERT and on those grounds should not be giving Expert opinion.

It is not a matter of honesty. It is that he is quite adept at explaining complicated matters on a level that normal people can understand. Not unlike Stephen Hawking or Carl Sagan. The difference being THEY are experts in that of which they speak. To me, Bill Nye talking about the geological and consequences of this oil spew would be like asking a GP about the details of complicated brain surgical procedures.

He is smart and seems to be a nice guy but again not an expert in this field.
What we need on these threads: Information from experts!!! Not bloggers or paranoid web site developers, like the OP, who do not know, or may never know, the BIG PICTURE!!

Thanks again,
Tom

Please see my posts above.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
This is just disturbing.

From the videos I have seen the Junk shot has failed.

This is what I think has happened from the videos in the discussion here.

BP at best slowed the flow with the junk shot. The drill mud was not heavy enough to counter act the pressure of the oil so they slowed it down in preparation to cut the riser pipe below the kink with the junk shot. I’m not sure they make dill mud that heavy to counter act that much pressure. That Frame in the video showing the ROV welding, is not welding it’s cutting. Not sure if it was the riser pipe or something else in prep for the cut of the riser pipe. At some point the Junk shot caused another rupture hole, or the Bop could have blow the rubber \ steel seals inside and caused that rupture as well. That’s where the screen gets very muddy.

I’m sure BP wants to cut the riser off at this point and set a new coupling in place at the cut. Either that or they did cut the riser pipe below the kink which would also would show a muddy screen with a lot more oil and pressure exiting. I’m not sure if BP can add another BOP if the top of the current BOP is badly damaged. There is no way to stop it if that is the case. The current BOP will have to removed form the well head and another BOP put in its place.

You really have think about this BOP in place. That BOP was acting as an anchor to this rig as the rig collapsed, moved, drifted and sank. So who knows what damage there is to this BOP that BP is not showing us? That BOP is large I think 5 stories high.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by SJE98]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by darklife

Sorry, off topic but:

Man, bring back old memories of Beakman's World and Bill Nye. Used to watch them with my kids. Probably about the same scientific basis though!

Thanks,
Tom

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

SJE98,
Sounds like you have a better handle on the situation than most...you did not mention conspiracy once! Well done!

Keep up the reasonable, sensible and rational critique.
Thanks,
Tom

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
total faillure the top kill... she's blowing as never before!

www.bp.com...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Decent updates here:
www.nola.com...

I'd like to direct this post to Arbitrageur or any other members with expertise in the field and familiarity with the area. Regarding pneumatics, pressure filters and fluid mechanics, Would it be possible/remotely feasible or ecologically even preferable to direct or funnel the leaks to "Hell on Earth" / Cayman Trough. Or tether a serious pressurized/gauge inflatable tube/pipe/conduit lead to a manned bathysphere Autosub6000/HyBIS or other remote control deep-water submersible/vessel and lower the 'conduit'
over an even deeper, more pressurized black smoker/ volcanic vent creating a monster pressure filter funnel to reverse the oil flow back into the seabed at least help re-direct the oil toward the trough since it seems that what happens in Cayman - stays in Cayman.

Maybe someone with field experience could contact them HERE and inquire if they still have their "gear" in the area if it's not already been re-purposed since the last entry in their "diary" was the day after the leak.

Probably not a technically realistic solution but I thought it worth mentioning at this point.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Yeah, that deffo looks like oil leaking again...none of the muddy stuff seen over the last few days....

Anyone know exactly what we are looking at just now on the BP livecam?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by celticniall

Hey I am with you ...something has changed! The shot I am seeing appears to be the riser with a much larger geyser or plume of oil.

The cameras were focused on the BOP but now are focused on the riser pipe.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by alexhiggins732

Great new footage now!!! ROV busy at work tearing apart the BOP and doing other weird stuff. There are preparing to do something.

Watch it now
http://(nolink)/2010/05/20/live-video-feed-webcam-gulf-oil-spill/

I have also uploaded a video of what's going on on youtube here is a link to that page

www.youtube.com...

(nolink)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sorry mate,
You quite clearly do not know what you are looking at.
You are suggesting that dismantling of the BOP has begun but as far as I can see it has not.

Nowhere on this thread can I see a video feed of an ROV tearing apart a BOP
The ROV is simply hovering over a tool basket and handling a come along. It is not doing any "weird stuff" as you put it.

In fact it just looks like the operator is bored and is doing something to entertain the live feed audience. Any ROV pilot who takes 5 minutes to get a come along out of a basket would be fired.

the other feed shows oil based mud leaking out of a ruptured riser. The ROV is holding onto the small bore pipe on the left to steady itsself in the deep water current, thats all. I really think you are seeing things that are just not happening.

PEACE,
RK

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MrCrowley

Send in John Wayne and the Hellfighters!!
Damn good point Sir.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

Obama needs to send in the Rescue Heroes! (canadian cartoon series) All they did to fix their oil leak was use a big giant vaccum to suck up all the oil. I lol at the series because it is kind of cheesy.

But somebody needs to stop this and if they send in the nuke it is going to go from bad to worse.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
'detonating' a nuke in or over the water thier is NOT! i repeat, NOT going to stop the oil from coming out of the rig hole down thier. all its going to, is make the water radioactive, the radiation will quickly fidn its way into the soil, from thier into the local water supplies, and contaminate surrounding citys and towns...thats all its gunna do.
I posted in another thread...reinforced quick drying cement...i think its a good shot! snake long metal pipes down into the hole....pump/fill it with qucik drying cement, like the stuff yuo can get at a hardware store for emergency purposes, incase it rains and water comes in through walls. ive used it a few times, it dries very quick, but its gotta be made exactly to the letter, otherwise it will remain liquidy* its kinda pricey too...
think about it...fill the hole with quick drying reinforced cement..then as taking the pipe out, near the rim, fill more, exiting the hole, top it off with a nice mound. I think its a good shot!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I hear all this talk on here about nuking this leak....I honestly don't believe anyone is seriously even considering this as an option...

I really can't see how a nuke would do any good, but I'm no expert.

All I know is that BP say they are "working on it", and all I see on the feeds is more leaks than a sieve, and oil being washed up all along the coast.

Are BP really working on it? Are they stalling? Are they providing real live feeds?

Who knows, but the oil is still leaking......

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Just let me say this, I worked in the oil field in Oklahoma. BP whom I worked for then Amoco. There is no one that wants the leak (spill) stopped more than BP. The cost alone will be billions, new rig, clean up, there is all sorte of cost that will go with it. This just started. I t will be years befor it gets right. People that dont know how it really works should not guess. There has been blowouts that took 2 to 3 years to stop. And that above water. Remember the gulf war 1? 18 mo. People say this and that well we just dont know, I think when the platform fell it could have broke off the BOP. I also dont think the platform was a drilling rig rather it was a production platform. Big diff. Im not taking up fot BP just saying a lot of companys are involed. They are not the sole owner of the platform, they could be the mangers. Dont know but all companys are part owners to some dregee. Give this thing some more time. We will know it all in time and big companys relly try hard not this type of thing happen. Good luck all of you.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml
I have made several posts about the high probability of the low density strata blowing out around the well. We are talking about enormous pressures and a possible supercritical solution of LPG and oil to erode past the well pipe.
Perhaps it is time to discus a true WCS.
The well blows completely out and an ever expanding hole gushes many hundred X the present amount of oil/gas.
The lack of refilling the reservoir collapses the sea bed causing a massive sudden release of methane while triggering a tsunami in the gulf.
The gulf and its coastline are decimated low oxygen death zones for many decades and the Atlantic is unfishable for decades also.
I've had it with MSM low balling just how bad this all could get. Make no mistake if the seafloor is eroded it is a game over situation and the best we can do is run from our folly.
N.

Multiple vents spewing gas and mud, reports of cracks in the sea floor.
Here is precedent for a blow by destabilizing the ground around the well

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=576577

news.yahoo.com...

IMO the pressure and composition of this deposit coupled with the porous sedimentary strata make this a much more precarious position than can be imagined by some. I am praying that this is just a mental exercise but my gut is very unsettled and it seems to know more than me most of the time.
The next few days will out the situation if it is as I fear.

This is not just an idle thought. I base the theory on the properties of high pressure liquids to follow the path of least resistance.
The oil and gas are very likely to be as a supercritical liquid at the pressures found in the deposit. This will be penetrating any cracked or weakened strata around the well and then expanding violently as it hits lower pressure further excavating any weakness.
As I said I hope this is all just a mental fugue state exercise, but fear there may be some truth in my fears.
N.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent

Originally posted by alexhiggins732

Great new footage now!!! ROV busy at work tearing apart the BOP and doing other weird stuff. There are preparing to do something.

Watch it now
http://(nolink)/2010/05/20/live-video-feed-webcam-gulf-oil-spill/

I have also uploaded a video of what's going on on youtube here is a link to that page

www.youtube.com...

(nolink)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sorry mate,
You quite clearly do not know what you are looking at.
You are suggesting that dismantling of the BOP has begun but as far as I can see it has not.

Nowhere on this thread can I see a video feed of an ROV tearing apart a BOP
The ROV is simply hovering over a tool basket and handling a come along. It is not doing any "weird stuff" as you put it.

In fact it just looks like the operator is bored and is doing something to entertain the live feed audience. Any ROV pilot who takes 5 minutes to get a come along out of a basket would be fired.

the other feed shows oil based mud leaking out of a ruptured riser. The ROV is holding onto the small bore pipe on the left to steady itsself in the deep water current, thats all. I really think you are seeing things that are just not happening.

PEACE,
RK

Why don't you try looking at the screen shots at the bottom of the page where the ROV is taking bolts off of the BOP casing.

Then watch the first video where the ROV pulls some parts out of the BOP casing.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomdham

Dear Space Cadet,
The only interests IMO that Bill Nye, "The Science Guy", has in this game is
no more than anyone of us. Unless, of course his BP stock return is of interest and he is making a few $'s on each appearance.

He may be as green as they come but the only information he has is the same as we have, unless he has some "secret" inside sources.

Yes, I am sure this may be one of his "pet" interests, hobbies or whatever but he is not an EXPERT and on those grounds should not be giving Expert opinion.

It is not a matter of honesty. It is that he is quite adept at explaining complicated matters on a level that normal people can understand. Not unlike Stephen Hawking or Carl Sagan. The difference being THEY are experts in that of which they speak. To me, Bill Nye talking about the geological and consequences of this oil spew would be like asking a GP about the details of complicated brain surgical procedures.

He is smart and seems to be a nice guy but again not an expert in this field.
What we need on these threads: Information from experts!!! Not bloggers or paranoid web site developers, like the OP, who do not know, or may never know, the BIG PICTURE!!

Thanks again,
Tom

Please see my posts above.

I totally agree, but the reason that you have non-technical, not-experts discussing this is because non of the experts are.

Instead the media and the experts remain quite and the forces us to discuss what is going on in forums like this.

If a 2012 like event ever occurred it would unfold just like this with the media and the scientific community keeping the public in the dark about what was really happening so the governments of the world could ensure their survival.

Now I am not saying that is what is going on here, but its is really daunting that there is a lack of information coming out about this.

The media has been focused on the political blame game and the only real information that we have so far is that given by a few scientists who had the courage to stand up and call the government estimates of the flow rate BS.

Perhaps if the the public was being informed of what is really happening threads like this wouldn't be needed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join