It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bobby Jindal to build barrier Islands without govt permission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think Bobby Jindal is great. He's been asking the federal government for permission to build barrier islands to protect out pristine LA coastline. He hasn't gotten it. He's moving forward without permission. Good for him! On the bright side Topkill appears to be working.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
He's My so called Govenor.. I don't like him personally, but I hope he does this and does not back down..

I hope he does this even if the Governments answer is NO. It's about time someone stood up to the Feds.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

Okay, well, he would really need to build a peninsula to stop the oil from getting around these islands he thinks he can build.

What does he intend to use to build these islands with, in a hurry. Old tires? Garbage? The article doesn't say what he intends to build them with.

The gravel business is big around the Mississippi, near Baton Rouge, so that might be an option. The cost would be astronomical.

Like I say, what is he going to use? We need more details before anybody can consider this an option.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I would guess that they would dredge the bottom and use that material to create the islands. Whether they can do it in time to salvage some of the marshes, I don't know.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Only thing is, if they dredge the bottom, where a lot of the oil is sitting, that would make these barrier islands, toxic, because the oil would be in them already.

I don't see how they could do that, and in a hurricaine, all those islands would release the oil in them already, from the water running over them. So, the oil from these islands, if dredging is used, would be a waste of time.

Believe me, the islands that are there already, take a rough beating in bad weather.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Its not an ideal solution, no question. You're right, they probably already would be polluted with oil, but as long as they prevent the further flow of oil into the marshes, it would be a net positive.

If there's a hurricane, New Orleans and the surrounding area are screwed regardless.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

If you like to fish or if you fish for a living, I wouldn't be so quick to congratulate Bobby Jindal for taking matters into his own hands.

I live in south Texas and I fish for a living. I was here in 1979 when the Ixtoc well blew out in the Bay of Campeche and I've seen what happens when you close off the natural passes with dredge spoil. They did the same thing here with several of our natural passes and guess what, They never reopened the passes.

This action fundamentally cut off access to our estuaries and as a result our fishing, shrimping and crabbing industries have suffered dramatically. My advice would be to find another way to prevent the oil from entering the estuaries, multiple booms, underwater booms, hay, hair or whatever it takes.

I would never allow them to close the passes without some kind of absolute guarantees that these passes will not only be reopened, but also maintained, so as to insure their future viability as access points for the estuaries which are so crucial to the overall seafood industry.

IMO, there is no industry in existence today that does more harm to the seafood industry than the oil business, without regret I might add. Profit is their only goal and profit is their only motive, nothing else matters.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I was hoping that they would go ahead without the Federal Govt.'s approval. I mean, it's a disaster that is directly affect them. Just do it. Deal with the repercussions of violating federal law later down the road. BP has been in violation...nothing seems to be happening to them!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I am happy he is trying to do something...but if he goes ahead with this, will it then limit BP exposure in any future law suits because he did not wait for Feds to approve first? Hope not.

It would be tragic if it didn't work and then BP got off as well.

top topics

join