It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More evidence points towards 6th great extinction

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
There are no new species showing up ever on planet Earth? Nothing ever evolves and natural selection has nothing to do with it? Humans are the only thing responsible for extinction of species? No other species has ever been responsible for the extinction of another species? Please show me an accurate figure that shows how many new species are appearing compared to how many old ones are disappearing and prove to me that all ~55K extinctions mentioned earlier were due to human and only human involvement and had nothing to do with mother nature. To me its just the same as global warming alarmism. Just another reason to make humanity hate itself to allow for easier control by TPTB.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I did not deny that we are the cause of some extinctions, simply stating that thousands of species will become extinct every year with or without us. Many people seem to have this idea that it wouldn't happen if it wasn't for us pesky humans, or that the majority of extinctions are our fault when they are actually the minority.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Solomons]

Sorry Solomon, but this is bunk. The current extinction rate is 1,000's of times the background levels. If I recall correctly, it's only a few that naturally die out, as in without human beings messing things up. The vast majority, probably 99.99% of the species dying currently are due to our actions.

The difference between some algea or bacteria or gas causing an extinction in the past and human beings is that those things weren't self aware. They didn't have the ability to see what's coming and actively choose to alter their present course to save a good chunk of the ecosystem. This is definitely different this time around, and we should feel very, very ashamed of how things are playing out.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarmonkey
It makes me sad when I hear things about animals becoming extinct.
I find that I like animals more than people most of the time...

Me too
2nd

[edit on 5/26/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

Your requests are absurd absolutes that nobody can prove. It's not every single species dying off due to human activity, but it's the vast majority. We know that within a 1,000 years of humans entering a natural habitat, a good chunk of the biodiversity will die out. Well, we're everywhere now, and what's happening can be thought of as a second wave of die-offs due to our actions. Species do evolve, and I think prior to the agricultural revolution, the rate of birth was greater than the rate of die-off. Now, it's tens of thousands of times greater for extinction.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

It really amazes me how people cannot see what is right in front of them!

I have seen, with my own eyes, evidence of human activity negatively effecting the environment... from miles of dead coral reef in the Caribbean to Jelly Fish blooms in the med (caused by fishermen killing off the turtles)

But people still seem to ignore these facts and spout their own opinions as if they are data... how sad that when they finally do realise it will probably be too late!

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Muckster]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I skimmed over your thread. Too many links to go through tonight. Just got home after working about 17 hours.. I need a good shower and a cold beer. It was a good day.. got two more American Alligators tagged.. didn't lose an arm.. yep.. good day.

I will sit down later tonight or tomorrow evening and go over the thread you linked, as well as this one. Conservation is my passion, and it seems it is something close to your heart too. It's a long road, but as you said.. it starts local with educating people that would gladly (at least where I live) cut back and live a more environmentally friendly life style.. but there's just so damn many that don't even know....

Take care man. I added ya as a friend so I can keep up with your threads. Good stuff.

Peace.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

The hope is that collapse will be incremental over the coming decades and centuries, so that we may learn from the initial troubled times just how bad things have become and act accordingly. This may or may not be the case.

The reality is that many of our actions on the environment take decades, even over a century to be actualized in effect. This being the case, even if we vanished from the earth tomorrow, the climate would continue to change sharply, and much biodiversity would still be lost.

Either way, what we have today will be gone tomorrow, and the sooner we realize our course of action, the sooner we may mitigate the negative impacts.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Thanks... I’ve added you as a friend to

To be honest, the links i provided were rather hastily put together just to prove the point that there is info out there if people wish to seek it...

However, if you are interested, here are some of my own threads (with links) on this issue...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy the cold beer... sounds like you’ve earned it

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join