It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

warning this can offend law abiding citizens - Which I'm not one of.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+106 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have looked for this and I can not find this documented any place but here.
so is it Propoganda, the way it is - or - shoot a bird at the supreme court...
either way - my hats off to this High School Prinicipal.

This is a statement that was read over the PA system at the football game at Roane County High School , Kingston , Tennessee , by school Principal, Jody McLeod

"It has always been the custom at Roane County High School football games, to say a prayer and play the National Anthem, to honor God and Country."

Due to a recent ruling by the Supreme Court, I am told that saying a Prayer is a violation of Federal Case Law. As I understand the law at this time, I can use this public facility to approve of sexual perversion and call it "an alternate life style," and if someone is offended, that's OK.

I can use it to condone sexual promiscuity, by dispensing condoms and calling it, "safe sex." If someone is offended, that's OK.

I can even use this public facility to present the merits of killing an unborn baby as a "viable! means of birth control." If someone is offended, no problem..

I can designate a school day as "Earth Day" and involve students in activities to worship religiously and praise the goddess "Mother Earth" and call it "ecology.."

I can use literature, videos and presentations in the classroom that depicts people with strong, traditional Christian convictions as "simple minded" and "ignorant" and call it "enlightenment."

However, if anyone uses this facility to honor GOD and to ask HIM to Bless this event with safety and good sportsmanship, then Federal Case Law is violated.

This appears to be inconsistent at best, and at worst, diabolical.
Apparently, we are to be tolerant of everything and anyone, except GOD and HIS Commandments.

Nevertheless , as a school principal, I frequently ask staff and students to abide by rules with which they do not necessarily agree. For me to do otherwise would be inconsistent at best, and at worst, hypocritical... I suffer from that affliction enough unintentionally.. I certainly do not need to add an intentional transgression.

For this reason, I shall "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's," and refrain from praying at this time.

" However, if you feel inspired to honor, praise and thank GOD and ask HIM,in the name of JESUS, to Bless this event, please feel free to do so.. As far as I know, that's not against the law----yet."

One by one, the people in the stands bowed their heads, held hands with one another and began to pray.

They prayed in the stands. They prayed in the team huddles. They prayed at the concession stand and they prayed in the Announcer's Box!

The only place they didn't pray was in the Supreme Court of the United States of America- the Seat of "Justice" in the "one nation, under GOD."

Somehow, Kingston , Tennessee Remembered what so many have forgotten. We are given the Freedom OF Religion, not the Freedom FROM Religion. Praise GOD that HIS remnant remains!

JESUS said, "If you are ashamed of ME before men, then I will be ashamed of you before MY FATHER.."

+14 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm agnostic, but find it absolutely wonderful the principle would do this. BTW, Snopes backs this up as true.

www.snopes.com...

+4 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

To be honest, I didn't think good people held positions like these anymore.

I'm actually impressed.

+101 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Since when did school football games become an acceptable event for political soap box speeches? Maybe he should spend his time trying to fight against what he sees as an atrocity rather than making everyone listen to his political ramblings.

Also, the constitution does say freedom of religion, not FROM. However, that doesn't mean that it's okay to blurt over a PA system and force everyone to hear your prayer. Just like it wouldn't be okay for someone on the opposite side of the aisle to get on a PA system and tell everyone how there is nothing wrong with homosexuality.

Just like they have a right to say it, others have a right not to hear it and it's nearly impossible to avoid it if your in crowded bleachers and were not forewarned that there was going to be a public prayer. Same as trying to say a prayer over the school PA when the other students do not have the option of NOT hearing it.

If there was a Muslim teacher who wanted to say his/her own prayer, don't you think the Christians would be upset about being forced to listen to it?

+4 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Just... wow...

That principal is one helluva dude! Way to go, man!

S&F!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Im surprised good people are in positions of power also.. Well it was good for the principal to speak his mind.

I find nothing wrong with a prayer.

In fact if there is no more prayers, then sorry you cant play the national athem either. ever. And we should ban farting in public too, i mean cause why should we all hear and smell fart.. Oh oh, i thought of another one. lets ban breathing, cause dont you just hate that guy next to you in line with the heavy breathing, good god, lets just ban living.

+9 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
No it's not against the law yet. As far as law goes if local is trumped by
state and state is trumped federal. A govt. for people by the people
Should be trumped by the people. We don't have to obey an unjust law.
Let them make all the laws they want. They are the enemy at best.

SnF

Nunya

Since when did school football games become an acceptable event for political soap box speeches? Maybe he should spend his time trying to fight against what he sees as an atrocity rather than making everyone listen to his political ramblings

I think he pretty much stated that the law says he can Einstein.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by randyvs]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think a supreme pizza is capable of making a better decision than the supreme court anyday.

The Constitution is in-violet it cannot be changed my majority whim. It can not be changed by the President, Congress, or the Supreme Court. The only way it can be changed is by We the People calling on our states for a constitutional convention. That would take 2/3's of the states to make it happen.

So it looks like Prayer will continue to go on at school as long as it goes on at congress.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by SWCCFAN]

+77 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sorry but if I want my children to know about religion, or lack thereof, that's MY purview, not some bible thumper. ME!!! I can see why the SC has ruled as it has. "Freedom of Religion". Not "Freedom to have someone else's religion shoved down my kids throats."

+13 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Sorry but if I want my children to know about religion, or lack thereof, that's MY purview, not some bible thumper. ME!!! I can see why the SC has ruled as it has. "Freedom of Religion". Not "Freedom to have someone else's religion shoved down my kids throats."

Some might call that a lack of tolerance on your part - a big no-no in today's politically correct society. Of course, it's quite clear that it's alright to show a lack of tolerance toward christians but no other group.

+1 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bagari
Some might call that a lack of tolerance on your part - a big no-no in today's politically correct society. Of course, it's quite clear that it's alright to show a lack of tolerance toward christians but no other group.

What makes you think I'm not Christian? Plenty of Christianity out there that doesn't support the teachings of Jesus. Sounds more like intolerance to anything but Christianity.

+28 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
I can use it to condone sexual promiscuity, by dispensing condoms and calling it, "safe sex." If someone is offended, that's OK.

Yes, of course. Why teach your kids how to avoid unwanted pregnancies and diseases which could be fatal? Oh that's right, because you only recognize that as "condoning sexual promiscuity" because you're a religious fanatic.

Well then, everyone in the crowd pray to the good lord while we send our children out to pummel the snot out of each other and pat each other's butts after a good play in our violent game of war for turf.

+6 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
We are given the Freedom OF Religion, not the Freedom FROM Religion.

The First Amendment guarantees both.

Someone needs a civics lesson

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Canadians, like moi, DON'T have to worry about constitutional amendments.
Ours requires so much hassle to change, we figure, "why bother".

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You should exercise your right to remain silent!

No really. Stop the crusade.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by metro
You should exercise your right to remain silent!

No really. Stop the crusade.

Care to be a little clearer on that?

+25 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

I have looked for this and I can not find this documented any place but here.
so is it Propoganda, the way it is - or - shoot a bird at the supreme court...
either way - my hats off to this High School Prinicipal.

Sounded more like he doesn't understand what the constitution is really about. I'm sorry, but many of his analogies are extremely piss poor. If he can't even get the very basic foundation of our country, then he needs to go back to school.

"It has always been the custom at Roane County High School football games, to say a prayer and play the National Anthem, to honor God and Country."

Due to a recent ruling by the Supreme Court, I am told that saying a Prayer is a violation of Federal Case Law.

OK, so the federal government allowed people to self govern religion in public settings and saw it getting out of hand and needed to step in to remind people that public places are public, not Christian prayer outings. Big deal, he would equally bitch if federal law stated that all religious prayers should be given equal time in public events. Pray to God, pray to Allah, pray to Krishna etc etc etc.

As I understand the law at this time, I can use this public facility to approve of sexual perversion and call it "an alternate life style," and if someone is offended, that's OK.

The analogy makes no sense. Every one of every religious creed or lack of religious creed has to deal with lifestyle differences whether they like it or not. A public event is a mixing pot of various belief systems. Giving attention in a public setting to only ONE, albeit the one who bitches the most even though they ARE recognized the most, is just stupid. Do you think a Muslim or Hindu wants to pray to the Christian God or here the Christian God publicly prayed to while they sit in the back corner getting no recognition at all?

Big deal, build a bridge and get over it. Better yet, let his twelve year old daughter get raped because he wanted to bitch about condoms.

I can even use this public facility to present the merits of killing an unborn baby as a "viable! means of birth control." If someone is offended, no problem..

Great, the Christian bigot bitch about condoms, got it taken out of public eye, his daughter got raped and now she can't get an abortion and at the age of twelve has to give birth to some kid whom she doesn't even know who the daddy is.

Wow, moron.

I can designate a school day as "Earth Day" and involve students in activities to worship religiously and praise the goddess "Mother Earth" and call it "ecology.."

Ah, I see where this bitch fest angle is coming from. A Christian who doesn't care about the environment decides to slander the one day that we try to get all Americans to take notice of the destruction we cause every day by calling it a "pagan ritual".

Man, this guy is a total tool!

I can use literature, videos and presentations in the classroom that depicts people with strong, traditional Christian convictions as "simple minded" and "ignorant" and call it "enlightenment."

So now somehow showing the history of Christian society in the Medieval times and the joke they called science is now wrong? I'm sorry if you don't like your religions history, but the truth is the truth. Nothing but a bunch of uneducated hypocritical bigots out on some holy blood fetish.

However, if anyone uses this facility to honor GOD and to ask HIM to Bless this event with safety and good sportsmanship, then Federal Case Law is violated.

I wonder if he would have a problem if other religions were by law given equal air time in a public setting. God forbid we take away the only one that bitches the most for absolute recognition!

This appears to be inconsistent at best, and at worst, diabolical.
Apparently, we are to be tolerant of everything and anyone, except GOD and HIS Commandments.

The new law doesn't state that you CAN'T pray at a public event privately. What is this guy, an idiot? Oh dear God no, you can't be the only publicly recognized religion at a public event filled with people of all religious creeds! OH THE HYPOCRISY!

Nevertheless , as a school principal, I frequently ask staff and students to abide by rules with which they do not necessarily agree. For me to do otherwise would be inconsistent at best, and at worst, hypocritical... I suffer from that affliction enough unintentionally.. I certainly do not need to add an intentional transgression.

For this reason, I shall "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's," and refrain from praying at this time.

" However, if you feel inspired to honor, praise and thank GOD and ask HIM,in the name of JESUS, to Bless this event, please feel free to do so.. As far as I know, that's not against the law----yet."

One by one, the people in the stands bowed their heads, held hands with one another and began to pray.

They prayed in the stands. They prayed in the team huddles. They prayed at the concession stand and they prayed in the Announcer's Box!

In other words, screw the law and... oh snap nuh uh, God also says to listen to mans laws as well as his own! Gee, awkward!

The only place they didn't pray was in the Supreme Court of the United States of America- the Seat of "Justice" in the "one nation, under GOD."

Yea, the government has been secular since it was formed. Enough of this added in by Christian lobbyists 'One nation under god" crap.

JESUS said, "If you are ashamed of ME before men, then I will be ashamed of you before MY FATHER.."

That isn't even remotely applicable to this case of arrogant stupidity.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by sirnex]

[edit on 25-5-2010 by sirnex]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
What I really like about this has nothing to do with discussing it is right or not to preach on the PA to the whole school. It is not about that.

What I liked about it is the attitude. Even if the law is not approved yet, the principal acted believing it is and as thus, he told the audience he would obey it and not preach on the PA this time. And yet he accomplished his goal, because the audience prayed. Probably a lot more people prayed this than if he decided to pray himself on the PA.

He moved the crowd. He reached them with his speach. He got them to act together. To do something good. I dont think his intentions were bad. And that is a good thing. Not only he accomplished that, he gave the example to parents and children. He showed them how one person´s voice can reach many and get them together to one purpose, even if that purpose is nothing but a harmless prayer before a football game.

If that principal could reach one person and that person one day could have his voice heard by many and had the same ability this teacher has to reach the crowds and move them to act together for a greater good, it was all worth it.

So, once again, cheers to the principal.

+3 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by henriquefd
He showed them how one person´s voice can reach many and get them together to one purpose, even if that purpose is nothing but a harmless prayer before a football game.

There's more to it than that. He took extensive digs at many portions of the curriculum that he disagreed with and interpreted and denounced them on the basis of his christian fanaticism. Whoever wrote the summary is also a christian fanatic with a serious misunderstanding of the First Amendment.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by traditionaldrummer]

+19 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

If that principal could reach one person and that person one day could have his voice heard by many and had the same ability this teacher has to reach the crowds and move them to act together for a greater good, it was all worth it.

Out of just pure speculative curiosity...

Would you be back patting if this was about Allah? Krishna? Or any of the multitude deities worshiped by various American citizens at public events?

Doesn't anyone get it? Christianity is *NOT* being suppressed in a nation of *mostly* Christians! Jesus, how stupid can your followers be? There is no need to back pat this moron who's bitching that he can't push his religious views in a public setting upon those who hold different faiths or no faith at that same public event. He's an intolerant hypocritical uneducated bigot. Simple as that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join