It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami Company Creates "Gringo Masks" for Illegals

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
In my experience as an Arizona resident, illegals tend to wear masks when committing crime anyway.

And illegals who are not committing any crime have nothing to fear from this new law (unfortunately).

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I am going to make a beaner mask so I can go get some free health care at my local hospital.

Oh what? You don't like the term "beaner"? Then stop using the term "gringo", because it is just as derogatory.

Oh I see, it's only racist when it's moving away from whites and it's not when it's going toward them. I am tired of the double standard.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So this product can make men look like an overaged, doped up, surfer in Malibu?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Then stop using the term "gringo", because it is just as derogatory.

Technically, it's not always used as a derogatory term.

At least that's what wikipedia said about it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis
Jeesh, am I the only one who finds the term 'gringo' offensive?

I'm glad it's ok for anyone to use that term, but wanting to defend our borders is considered "Naziism" or racist. LOL, too many cowards in this country suffering from white guilt.

The last person to call me gringo hobbled away not remembering who he was or how he got there, he couldn't even tell the police what happened as they hauled him off.

The same thing will happen to the next person, as well. (in person, of course).

Nope... But only Gringo's with thin skin are continually irritated by slurs.

Was a time during my vulgar public education that kids of all races (ethnicity) could openly make Pollack (Polish) Wops (Italian?) Spic (Spanish) Whitie (Whites) and Kneegrow (Blacks) jokes and even the teachers would laugh...

We all need to lighten up and especially attempt to NOT abuse these slang terms. These too will eventually phase out in the great melting pot called America.

Also note: People that immigrate and absolutely REFUSE to assimilate their customs and traditions into the American culture... and rather hold steadfastly to those... will never be part of America and will be outsiders.

If one dresses like a pimp and talk like one you will not be accepted in the main stream.

Those that dress like a cholo and talk like one will not be accepted in the main stream.

Any more than if one wears a white pointed hat and bed sheet... Same Same.

Do you want the pilot of your flight showing up late in his highly polished, sparkling, multicolored low rider with bagged pants around his knees and white cotton tank top showing off his Aztlan/La Raza tattoos...

Hopping in to the pilot seat saying "Aaaaa Maaaahnn We weel beee flyeen at turdy touzand veet mahn. Pleez exding-wish yo spliffs before dake-ahv."

Enhanced for clarity...

Nothing racist about anything except the behavior exhibited.

Is 'Pinche Loco Cabron' supposed to be insulting? Or Fuggin Crazee Chump any different? Could be a term of funny endearment?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix

Was a time during my vulgar public education that kids of all races (ethnicity) could openly make Pollack (Polish)

Referring to people of Polish descent as a type of fish would be very offensive (PS - the word is Polack
)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

And I just have to point it out because we hear all the time here that the immigration debate has NOTHING to do with race....well then please explain this comment from the article.

"Gringos don't stand in front of Home Depot all day. Or eat burritos all day. Or steal other people's property all day".

I'm going to be purposefully inflammatory- but I'm doing this to get my point across.

"Illegal Spics dont have to worry about taxes. They steal what they want, get drunk, commit crimes..."

How come it's ok to call the white people Gringos (however, not only the white people are being targeted in principle), but when the word 'Spic' is substituted, What I am SURE is gonna be a yellow *censored* storm is going to be kicked up and vitriol will be spewed everywhere. To me, the names are NOT mutually exclusive. A dirty name is a dirty name, and so is everything associated with it. You want to call someone something nasty? Expect repercussions.

This company selling 'gringo' masks are to be ashamed of themselves- but I am hoping justice comes from the LEGAL immigrants and everyone else of every race, creed, color, who for all intents and purposes, have been targeted just as much as the 'white' people- and basically, even called the same name! (Gringo)

We're all getting screwed in this together- Black, white, Asian, Mexican, Indian- Both born here and legally immigrated here- and we're all being targeted by ONE group, who is hell bent on invading OUR country and destroying ALL of our ways of life.

I think a united coalition of people should sue the place for racial slurs. That'll get 'em thinkin'.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I thought that sort of thing went out way back when white actors use to paint their faces black and do vaudeville shows.

No, racism and bigotry are still around. They didn't go anywhere and likely never will. As long as parents everywhere keep raising their children to hate, the hate and division will continue.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The last person to call me gringo hobbled away not remembering who he was or how he got there, he couldn't even tell the police what happened as they hauled him off.

Bragging how tough and mean you are on the www. is a form of masterbation.
Quite revealing!!

Topic..........I'm a gringo and proud of it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix

Jeesh, am I the only one who finds the term 'gringo' offensive?

I'm glad it's ok for anyone to use that term, but wanting to defend our borders is considered "Naziism" or racist. LOL, too many cowards in this country suffering from white guilt.

The same thing will happen to the next person, as well. (in person, of course).

Nope... But only Gringo's with thin skin are continually irritated by slurs.

Was a time during my vulgar public education that kids of all races (ethnicity) could openly make Pollack (Polish) Wops (Italian?) Spic (Spanish) Whitie (Whites) and Kneegrow (Blacks) jokes and even the teachers would laugh...

We all need to lighten up and especially attempt to NOT abuse these slang terms. These too will eventually phase out in the great melting pot called America.

Also note: People that immigrate and absolutely REFUSE to assimilate their customs and traditions into the American culture... and rather hold steadfastly to those... will never be part of America and will be outsiders.

If one dresses like a pimp and talk like one you will not be accepted in the main stream.

Those that dress like a cholo and talk like one will not be accepted in the main stream.

Any more than if one wears a white pointed hat and bed sheet... Same Same.

Do you want the pilot of your flight showing up late in his highly polished, sparkling, multicolored low rider with bagged pants around his knees and white cotton tank top showing off his Aztlan/La Raza tattoos...

Hopping in to the pilot seat saying "Aaaaa Maaaahnn We weel beee flyeen at turdy touzand veet mahn. Pleez exding-wish yo spliffs before dake-ahv."

Enhanced for clarity...

Nothing racist about anything except the behavior exhibited.

Is 'Pinche Loco Cabron' supposed to be insulting? Or Fuggin Crazee Chump any different? Could be a term of funny endearment?

Who cares as long as he knows how to fly that plane! Him showing up late..is another matter. Pilots do that regardless

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ha ha ha, gringo masks...while i dont support the use of the word gringo or any other racial slang, i think its a funny idea and a great way for passive protest, the laws being drawn up in Arizona are severely idiotic, and purely race driven, as well as the law their trying to pass to cancel school programs that promote racial solidarity, c'mon people were just proving to the international community that were still stuck in the 1950's or the general time period...there are other ways to control our borders and deal with illegal immigrants we dont need to start singling out our own citizens just because they look suspicious, and you know what if their are alot of illegal immigrants coming over theres got to be a reason why...AMERICAS AWESOME!!! and alot of people want to be here, we just need to figure out a way to quickly and safely implement these people into our society so they can be a productive member of our country....im telling you ghuys america can actually profit from this

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Question: Are there any colors available besides white?

If no, why not?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
No, racism and bigotry are still around. They didn't go anywhere and likely never will. As long as parents everywhere keep raising their children to hate, the hate and division will continue.

That certainly happens, you can teach children to hate.

But what about the 25 year old Masters graduate I work with who left college thinking everyone was equal regardless of creed or color - but who acquired racist attitudes through his personal experiences after leaving college.

Exactly who should we blame for his "conversion"?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 933K5T4R

......the laws being drawn up in Arizona are severely idiotic, and purely race driven, as well as the law their trying to pass to cancel school programs that promote racial solidarity,...

Oh I see you're against Arizona's new law because it promotes racism, but you agree with school programs that promote racial solidarity

So how would you feel about school programs that were designed to promote racial solidarity among the white races ?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Well, to be honest, I call bull#. I don't believe for one minute someone become racist for no reason whatsoever, all of a sudden after university. Sorry, in the immortal words of The Dude, that will not stand.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by TheComte]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
I wonder if they will use these Gringo masks in Mexico to avoid getting shot at. Seems like those guys with guns are shooting the brown people south of the border left and right, those racist drug lords.

It's not a race issue if they shoot what you call "brown"people. It's just a matter of percentage. Most of Mexico's population is "brown". Odds are that more darker persons will be killed.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
That mask is so stupid, it's funny.

I don't know what's so hard for some people to understand, the law does not allow for the police to question someone's citizenship simply because of their physical appearance.

So the message they're trying to send is what, that they can use a derogatory term to refer to white people ? If a white company had done the same but used a derogatory term for hispanics, they would have already been hit with several lawsuits.

Gringo doesn't refer to white people. It refers to Americans in general. A Chinese-American can be called a gringo, for example.

It is the common term used in Mexico to refer to Americans and it is so widely used that it has lost all of its derogatory meaning. Or it can also refer to anything made in the USA.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
What would happen to me in the press if I sold Muslim masks, or N....(can't say that word) masks? But gringo is okay? How about, 40 year old white male masks?

My gf calls herself a beaner in jest all the time, hell, I call myself cracker around her. But that's personal. We can get past petty words and make fun of it. But to sell an item in "protest" by using a known derogatory term, over a law they likely haven't read? Now that my friends is real racism. To back ANYONE of any color or creed just upon that and disregard any truth, law or justice is simply wrong.

Should I assume my neighbor and friend, whom some call black is going to steal my stereo, because of his skin? Or my gf, because she is 2nd generation legal Mexican is going to insist I fly the Mexican flag, pay my taxes and allow illegals in our home, because she has a connection with the country?

No, she would ask me this question: if someone illegally breaks into our home, what would you do. I would shoot them, or have them arrested.

If that's what we do when ANYONE, regardless of race, sex, creed, or nationality breaks into our home, why do we not apply the same logic to breaking into our nation?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontblink
reply to post by Tharsis

While I agree that the term gringo is perjorative and derogatory I'm alarmed that you would be provoked to violence by its use in conversation. Overkill much?

thats like saying

"im quite alarmed that this rottweiler bit my hand after i tryed to take the food he was currently eating."

common sense much?

trendy euphemism's much?

grammatically unsound question much?

much much much much?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by haika

I haven't had any contact with Mexicans in mexico, so you are probably right in what you concerning how the word is used there.

I do have contact with the Mexicans & Mexican Americans around me, and when they use that word they use it as a derogatory term for white people.

But I do have to say that these are the same people that were born here and tell me that they aren't Americans because they aren't white, they say they are Mexicans. Their reasoning is that only white people are Americans. Where they get that idea from I have no idea.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join