It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Gusher SOLUTIONS ONLY thread.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

All I'm saying not even "Optimus Prime" can break the bond of "Mighty Putty" so it must be good. Just get the ROV to activate the Green/White technology and just start gobbing that stuff onto the leaks. Sealed for ever.

I personally don't know why everything isn't made of might putty. It truly is heavenly in it's power.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I still think the best solution is training a dolphin to go on a suicide mission into the actual pipe how this would work is it has some strong inflatable bags strapped to it and when it gets inside the pipe we hit a radio transmitter that expands the bags and seals the pipe.

After the pipe is temporarily sealed we quickly move in with cement.

I would say robots instead of dolphins if I thought they could swim past the current but in this case I think sacrificing a dolphin might be the greater good.
Trouble so far is BP are more concerned with saving any oil they can instead of stopping the flow as long as they can still collect some portion of the oil they are very unlikely to seal it.

We really do need to start jailing CEOs to get any kind of common sense back in the world.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

I think they basically tried that... and I thought it was a good idea... but I don't think that worked so well the way they tried it.

I think they tried capping it and trying to get the oil onto tankers, yes, but i'm talking about a much bigger "cup" around the leak.

If it's much bigger and not close to the leak, then the pressure from the oil will not affect the cup.

put a huge cup over it, attach a hose to the top and start sucking.

Its like a much bigger scale than they tried. Its like sucking it up from more of a distance.

Why drink straight out a fire hose when you can stand well back and get a nice mouthfull!!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
If they seal the well, no one can drill there again, isn't that correct? Well, how about straight out lying to those corporate...people... and telling them "Sure, stop the leak, clean up, then you can drill again." And then just not let them do it. Turnabout is fair play. They have been BSing us the whole time.After all, the only thing that matters to BP is how much they can get before it is sealed and therefore cut off from any further profits. I find it hard to believe with all their knowledge of getting a drill to go 35000 feet down to get the oil, they can't stop it. I say lie to 'em. Two wrongs don't make a right, but extreme circumstances call for extreme measures.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I was being funny about the nanotubes, but now.... I dunno. I read up a lil on them- and if the Water Gel were combined with the Carbon nantubes, and used the way I described- with maybe (edited) Roman Concrete (Look it up- Wikipedia) to seal the whole mess- like 4-5 feet worth....

I read the downside of nanotubes, but at this point- which is worse? something that can be cleaned out via a cleanup operation or it being absorbed back into the earth, or the oil spill?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by wylekat]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Move out about 1000 yards and slant drill another well that intersects the existing well about 2000 ft. below the sea floor. This will allow the pressure to be bled off from the leaking well, allowing it to be plugged.

Next problem?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

So you mean make the Roman Concrete using using Water Gel that is saturated with Carbon Nanotubes?

I think earlier you inadvertently described epoxy also...

Any chemists here who can help us with something?

Are there any chemicals that could be used to cause an Epoxy-Copolymer reaction with the oil?

Right now they have a 4" pipe rammed down about a mile into the 20" bore well pipe. They're getting ready start pumping mud and concrete into it in hopes that it will clog it. But are there copolymer type options that would be more effective at both clogging it and keeping it sealed permanently?

Since a copolymer consists of at least two types of constituent units (also structural units), copolymers can be classified based on how these units are arranged along the chain.[2] These include:

Alternating copolymers with regular alternating A and B units (2)
Periodic copolymers with A and B units arranged in a repeating sequence (e.g. (A-B-A-B-B-A-A-A-A-B-B-B)n)
Statistical Copolymers are copolymers in which the sequence of monomer residues follows a statistical rule. If the probability of finding a given type monomer residue at a particular point in the chain is equal to the mole fraction of that monomer residue in the chain, then the polymer may be referred to as a truly random copolymer[3] (3).
Block copolymers comprise two or more homopolymer subunits linked by covalent bonds (4). The union of the homopolymer subunits may require an intermediate non-repeating subunit, known as a junction block. Block copolymers with two or three distinct blocks are called diblock copolymers and triblock copolymers, respectively.
Copolymers may also be described in terms of the existence of or arrangement of branches in the polymer structure. Linear copolymers consist of a single main chain whereas branched copolymers consist of a single main chain with one or more polymeric side chains.

Other special types of branched copolymers include star copolymers, brush copolymers, and comb copolymers.

A terpolymer is a copolymer consisting of three distinct monomers. The term is derived from ter (Latin), meaning thrice, and polymer.

Stereoblock copolymers...
en.wikipedia.org...

Epoxy

[edit on 25-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Well, the water gel and nanotubes first, then the roman concrete- but why not mix that in, too (tho then I gotta go and figure out how to resubmit my suggestion- eh, they might figure it out if they try my idea)

What I'm trying to do is come up with 'warm' Pycrete. Wood fiber mixed with water and frozen- but since wood fiber floats, and icing that pipe... well.......

Basically, just solidify the whole frigging thing- oil, water, and all, and then pour concrete on it. It can be cleaned/ buried/ whatever.

I also see the water gel and nanotubes used to clean up the oil slick....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I just gotta point this out- EVERYONE'S been whinging on and crying about BP and the oil spill- but not a frigging one of them has shown up to offer a concrete, workable solution, or any solution at all.

Verry Interesting, yes- no?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
I just gotta point this out- EVERYONE'S been whinging on and crying about BP and the oil spill- but not a frigging one of them has shown up to offer a concrete, workable solution, or any solution at all.

Verry Interesting, yes- no?

Yeah, I've been dealing with these people. They scream at me to stop trying to get the facts straight and somehow force the government to do something, so then I start this SOLUTIONS ONLY thread and these same critics run for the hills. Down with the environment, up with guilt and panic!!!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Try the Cabot Corporation -- force feed some AEROGEL into the opening. It attracts oil and the methane can serve as the gas in the reaction; www.scientificamerican.com...

I would also think that you could use a trick from "roto rooter." The main problem with any Pipe-within-a-pipe is the depth and pressure. Anything that might stop the leak, needs a lot of force and that's going to be hard to apply a mile down, and then another mile down a bore hole.

>> For this situation, I'd say you would start with a Robot sub, attach it to some solid structure or concrete. Then feed a stiff metal wire down into the bore hole -- don't even try to use a siphon pipe because the area and pressure are too massive.

If you can feed a thin wire perhaps 500 feet down into the hole, then you can start to rotate it. A flange at the end would be used to secure it to the side -- the main thing is that you start to get it to twist into a coil (some metallurgists might consider an electric current on a "memory wire"). As you rotate and push more wire into the opening, it's going to coil round and round the inner circumference of the bore hole/pipe. If you keep pushing down more wire, it will eventually reduce the size of the hole with the mass of the wire.

As the last bit of coil is tightened down, you can follow that with a "screw-like" drill, and that will twist and tighten it even more as the screw will draw itself down into the threaded hole you've created -- it will eventually get almost as hard as solid steel. Leave the drill head and shaft in the wire-wound hole.

Repeat with all the other holes.

You have now sealed an irregular hole that has too much pressure to be capped.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Maybe fuel processors would help clean-up the water.

If they get enough of them out there then they probably won't need to stop the leak.

Send out a bunch of steam-reformers (it's a freak'n volcano)! Collect the excess hydrogen gas. Sell that to help pay for the rest of the clean-up. Use that money to pay the unemployment on the fishers and shimp workers that were in the area (or employ them on the clean-up process as they already said).

[edit on 25-5-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Lemme give this some thought (and Like us all, I need to THINK FAST)

I was (not nicely) thinking about shoving the CEO's butt into the pipe- and it occurred to me- Is there not a compound that can be made or had that acts like expanding foam (like Great stuff)- that would react ONLY to oil- turning it into an inert mass, and basically stopping up the pipe like cholesterol would clog an artery? It'd have to be waterproof- and have to be injected, or even just left at the base of the pipe, so it flows INTO the oil stream.... I know they have something like this for water- it's a powder that turns water into a gel- they use it for both cleanups and for magic tricks. Heck, Why not get a LOT of that, and use it as a temp barrier/ way to cleanup some of it.

I'll check back tomorrow when I am somewhat more coherent. And awake.

Edit: I lied a bit about going to bed. Here's what I was talking about: Water gel

I need to go to bed- I had a thought... "just wrap a giant diaper with this stuff in it"... Yeah. Okie day. Instead of a 'giant diaper', how about a giant mesh with this stuff encapsulated and set as a time release, in a 'nested ball' way- the first layer closest to the pipe blows a large amount of this or a similar compound out, followed by successive ones, and a hose is dangled to the center of the ball with a plug on it (keeping water out til it's all in position) in the ball, and it pumps it in as these successive releases happen... If no one's laughing at this idea tomorrow, I might do a graphic, too.

I had a similar thought -- but I was thinking more along the lines of a "throw net." It's weighted around the circumference -- and when you "draw up the cables" it pulls in around the edges.

The REAL PROBLEM is the pressure of the gas and oil -- I don't think an AEROGEL is going to set up and seal anything with greater than 150+ PSI. The water pressure alone at that depth is over 1000PSI.

>> I'll go with a simple "roto-rooter" trick on this one. Coil a wire inside the pipes until it starts bundling up, and drive a screw bore into it and that will tighten it up like a solid chunk of steel.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I don't know what the properties of the pipes are down there, and I am mindful of the depth below sea level and pressures/limitations, and the fact that you are working amongst very strong forces of pressure and currents - is it really 3.6 km down to the action? That's a lot of water weighing on your kit!

1. I would like to know whether you could employ some kind of combination of devices including a purpose built hydraulic clamp, or series of clamps, to incrementally close the pipe on itself - like a bottle neck, or series of bottle necks ending in closure - like squeezing a straw.

Obviously the clamps would have to be very powerful, yet compact enough to be assembled or positioned around the pipe by the vehicles available) and to avoid fracturing the tube you would need perfect shaping and possibly a little heat (obviously controlled to avoid ignition of the oil) on the pipe? Also, to avoid explosive fracture the speed of jaw movement would be critical I guess - computer modeled?

Perhaps if said operation was combined with a other actions, possibly activated very quickly after or nearing completion of that clamping, for example creating a sealed vessel around the operation which could be filled with concrete to reinforce the 'bottle neck/stopper'.

2. Could you freeze the pipe/area like plumbers do - even short term 'till we find a permanent mechanical solution?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Yes that is what I was was wondering why don`t they just squeeze it shut with a robot or something. If they can take the time to construct all these domes and such why not a robot to just mash it shut.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Iamherefornow]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Like when you take pliers or vicegrips and squeeze something shut. If they plug and the plug comes loose then the problem starts all over again.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Great thinkings

It just occurred to me that by receiving thousands of idea submissions BP is setting themselves up to be the premier oil spill response contractors... oh dear!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Yes - but still more interesting IMO is who allowed this combination of events to occur - why weren't the (regulatory) authorities fully on top of the companies involved to ensure that ALL necessary safety precautions and hazards were properly assessed and protected against, given the clear difficulties of dealing with multiple failures on such structures at those depths that even untrained observers can quickly identify?

Some parallels there with the Banking crisis, no?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

Sure, there are risks, but it might

a). buy some time/do better than that suction pipe idea

b). enable other structures/devices to be wrapped around it in the time it holds

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
How to harm BP:

Subvertising!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9be210600449.png[/atsimg]

A development over in my BP's Brainwash Marketing for Kids thread got this ball rolling.

So I went and scanned the entire 16 page BP activity booklet for kids, which is itself brand loyalty propaganda. If all of the pages are spoofed it could make for the ultimate subvertising campaign.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join