It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Gusher SOLUTIONS ONLY thread.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Surely, collectively we can all sort this mess out?

There's tons of ideas and details within ATS, but they're spread out across numerous threads and are therefore inevitably lost in obscurity.

I went several pages back and found no thread specifically about SOLUTIONS. Here is the place to chronicle them then!

Solutions are 6-fold:
1. Ideas to help stop or clean up the crisis.

2. Ways to make BP suffer the consequences so that they and their ilk learn from their mistakes of being sloppy etc. Make them FEAR the public backlash and loss of profits! They have to suffer consequences to have any hope of them and others like them learning their lesson about being halfarse. Children whose parents fail to teach them mistakes, or to recognize consequences are doomed to a lifetime of loserdom.

3. Ways to fix the government that facilitates these sorts of things. Response, etc.

4. Naming names of who should be run out of office etc for their role in all of this (specify solid reasons please).

5. Pinpointing the MISTAKES made so that the 'idiot geniuses' know what not to do. Apparently they need to be told.

6. Things YOU can do to not use as much oil. Policy concepts on par with Global Warming proposals will only lead to debate and will become counter-productive at this juncture.

Please leave screaming and etc at the door. Lets keep this logical...

The best ideas (for stopping the gusher and cleaning the mess) can be submitted to the BP Suggestions 'hotline', by anyone concerned. It would probably be counter-productive to spam their 'hotline' with outcry that carries no solutions.

Please post any other good links for submitting or complaining or threatening (ethically) to help out others in letting the Establishment know that they will be sorry for playing games with our earth and our 'civilization'.

Some Ideas I like as I wrote this thread:
1. One of my favorite ideas I've seen on ATS for fixing it is to robot weld an equal diameter pipe/valve (while open) onto the gusher pipe, and then to simply close the valve.

2. For smearing BP I suggest factual ostracizing. Emotionally spewing hype and falsehoods is not the best way to go. For instance, I've pointed out BP's Brainwash Marketing to Kids, while another member has a huge thread chronicling BP's extremely long list of violations.

3. Fixing the government. That could be a long list... but one idea I read on ATS in a different discussion was that all politicians should have to wear logos on their suits, much like Nascar drivers, so that we know who pays them to do their dirty deeds.

4. loam has a long thread detailing "Obama's Katrina", but why stop with Obama? What would be really relevant would be names of individuals or agencies that helped BP be so slack before during and after the crisis.

5. Here's an easy 'mistake': BP needs to be hung out to dry, or rather held down and drowned, for using Corexit instead of more effective, less toxic dispersants.

6. Put together a biodiesel processor system. With the right planning, and a little luck you can build a system for less than $1000. Afterwards, you get biofuel for about $1 per gallon that's better for your (diesel) engine.

So lets hear it all...

[edit on 25-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I know this may sound crazy but I would do this first -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce81dc8ed75f.png[/atsimg]

At least this way the oil is not spreading out all over the ocean. It's a start.

Keep filling up tankers until we can think up a suggestion to stop the leak itself.

As for the clean up. I think the best healer will be time itself, as longs we can stop the ocean getting more polluted every day.

For all your other points, I have nothing to add yet.

Nice post though. S&F.

G.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Solutions indeed. Attention BP! Here comes the humble ATS collective. She knows she is heard, around the world. She speaks quietly these days. Doesn't she, ATS collective? Indeed
SnF ,OP
Just take me with a grain of salt, BP is not going to solve this. It is sick, in a negative way. dark sick. if I am not more positive, well, then all apologies.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Nuke it from orbit. Its the only way to be sure!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Lemme give this some thought (and Like us all, I need to THINK FAST)

I was (not nicely) thinking about shoving the CEO's butt into the pipe- and it occurred to me- Is there not a compound that can be made or had that acts like expanding foam (like Great stuff)- that would react ONLY to oil- turning it into an inert mass, and basically stopping up the pipe like cholesterol would clog an artery? It'd have to be waterproof- and have to be injected, or even just left at the base of the pipe, so it flows INTO the oil stream.... I know they have something like this for water- it's a powder that turns water into a gel- they use it for both cleanups and for magic tricks. Heck, Why not get a LOT of that, and use it as a temp barrier/ way to cleanup some of it.

I'll check back tomorrow when I am somewhat more coherent. And awake.

Edit: I lied a bit about going to bed. Here's what I was talking about: Water gel

I need to go to bed- I had a thought... "just wrap a giant diaper with this stuff in it"... Yeah. Okie day. Instead of a 'giant diaper', how about a giant mesh with this stuff encapsulated and set as a time release, in a 'nested ball' way- the first layer closest to the pipe blows a large amount of this or a similar compound out, followed by successive ones, and a hose is dangled to the center of the ball with a plug on it (keeping water out til it's all in position) in the ball, and it pumps it in as these successive releases happen... If no one's laughing at this idea tomorrow, I might do a graphic, too.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by wylekat]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Sink a very heavy boat where oil comes out. I know the pressure must be incredible but if measured and added the mass needed to stop the leak then the job is done, even if not fully but it will slow down the leak till we bring another big @ss boat.

I think this would be maybe the cheapest and best solution.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarBoyFG
Sink a very heavy boat where oil comes out. I know the pressure must be incredible but if measured and added the mass needed to stop the leak then the job is done, even if not fully but it will slow down the leak till we bring another big @ss boat.

Not to be a downer but that was part of the problem in the first place. The oil rig ( its huge) sank on top of the opening.

It doesn't matter what solutions are made because they clearly don't want them. Never waste a good crisis...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Not to be a downer but that was part of the problem in the first place. The oil rig ( its huge) sank on top of the opening.

It doesn't matter what solutions are made because they clearly don't want them. Never waste a good crisis...

Never waste a good crisis, you said, damn that was nice. That's exactly it, that would be a lyric appreciated by Isis.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Ok, I didn't know that.But we can still sink boats around the oil rig, but that would be a temporary solution and wouldn't stop the leak fully.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Clean up idea

Link

[edit on 25-5-2010 by CaptSplatter]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Good solution, but its slow and it wouldn't stop the leak.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Ok- I still haven't gone to bed. I got it!

Carbon Nanotubes! *listens to groans*

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Clamp grating over all the holes.

Then clamp Hot Tap Pipe Saddle over the pipe and drill a tap hole over the well and inject rubber balls that are larger then the grating into the pipe.
www.hottapsaddles.com...
www.teamindustrialservices.com...

This will plug the grating up stopping the oil/gas to the point cement can be pumped in to plug the well.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Here's the solution right here.

WARNING MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER TO WATCH THIS VIDEO.

MAY CONTAIN COARSE LANGUAGE AND OUTBURSTS OF LAUGHTER

Seriously though, to even begin to think about fixing it we need to know exactly how bad the leak is. The feed they keep showing us is the same one. If I'm not wrong there was 3 leaks after the rig sank. I wouldn't put it past BP to only show us the one that isn't a gusher. There's a hell of a lot of oil in the Gulf of Mexico and it's not all on the surface. They found patches that are 200-300' thick.

The danger with what they are going to try on Wednesday is that they don't know if any of the well pipe further down is damaged also and by throwing heavy mud down on it they risk forcing the pressure of the oil and gas to find a weak spot in the well pipe. If that happens then if it wasn't a gusher before then it will be after Wednesday.

If it truely is a wide open gap and oil is gushing out then the nuke option may be the only one. Radiation from a low grade nuke dissipating over 10 years might be better than oil leaking out of the sea floor for 20 years unabated at say an averge rate of 300 000/barrels per month for 20 years that would be 6 000 000 barrels of oil into the oceans of the world.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Good solution, but its slow and it wouldn't stop the leak.

All I had was a "clean up" idea. Wish I had more to offer.......

[edit on 25-5-2010 by CaptSplatter]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
HAARP can be useful right now then again its used to cause destruction and i do not think its interested in saving the gulf of mexico. it wont stop the leak but it'll help contain the spill. a few small hurricane blowing the oil to a small point.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Plug the whole with molten silicon carbide.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Wow you guys are all going to amaze in this thrust...

reply to post by grantbeed

I think they basically tried that... and I thought it was a good idea... but I don't think that worked so well the way they tried it.

reply to post by ANNED

And let me guess... they haven't tried this during all of this time???

reply to post by wylekat

Good concept! I know that Great Stuff is a dreadful material... falls right out of a hole and on down to the ground while you're working with it...

But you Water Gel is getting closer. If there were a material that completely solidified in saltwater (plus oil I suppose), that could be a slick solution if you could surround the area and it hold off the pressure (while it's working).

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I really don't think this would work, but...

What if a giant "stir rod" was lowered in to the pit, and swirled to create a cyclone/vortex?

If you have ever taped together a couple 2 liter bottles, one full of water - the other empty, and swirled it in a circular motion while letting it drain you have seen the effect I am going for.

This would allow for a stint or balloon or some expanding material or concrete to be lowered in to the well as the pressure in the center/eye of the vortex would be lessened/negligable.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by JohnnyTHSeed]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
Here's the solution right here.
WARNING MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER TO WATCH THIS VIDEO.
MAY CONTAIN COARSE LANGUAGE AND OUTBURSTS OF LAUGHTER

YES! EPOXY!!!

Now that you have me thinking of it what else is there? It even falls in with the other examples I've responded to so far...

Epoxy is different than glue in that it hardens chemically, instead of drying via the solvents evaporating. Epoxy doesn't "dry", and there are many different forms of it. I know about more putty like epoxy used to fix leaks in ships under salt water, and that they use another form of it to fasten entire sections of bridges and overpasses together.

To seal a crack they could have a robot with a hydraulic clamp, shaped to fit around the 20" pipe, but with a gap. And inside the clamp area specially optimized epoxy that will hold together as it straps around the pipe and squeezes into the gap. Now lock the clamp and release the robot once cured. Under the current situation, you'd want to do this first.

Next, use the grating idea. Robot weld the grating onto the end. A robot with a similar clamp locks on to the pipe in another area, drills a hole into it, and then begins injecting rubber balls. At a certain point, then start injecting mixed epoxy balls that will begin to clog into the grating and get smooshed into a total seal.

reply to post by StarBoyFG

That could be the technical difference between the 'dome' that failed, and Grantbeed's concept.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join