It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Gusher SOLUTIONS ONLY thread.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well, here's the fruits of our labors:

Well, what was that form for?

Excerpt:

"BP's next effort to stop the damaged oil well, perhaps Wednesday, will be to force-feed heavy drilling mud and cement into the well to plug it up. The tactic, called a "top kill," has never been tried a mile beneath the sea, and company executives estimate its chances of success at 60 to 70 percent."

I think we've been played for suckers.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Just read your post, that seems a VERY GOOD IDEA, I'd love to know why they couldn't do that?

I know that the Scottish oil industry have made amazing progress with that kind of 3D drilling capability, I've also seen the amazing tech they use to visualise the geology/topography and route/position of the drill/bore watched on massive plasma screens by the operations team, it was on telly a year or so ago I think?

The only stumbling block I could think of is if the location is too challenging compared with where it's so far been used?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

It was their original proposal, but, the Government wouldn't give them permission to do it. The Government's reasoning was that it would take too long, but, I believe that the real reason was that this process would leave BP with a working well on this site.

I am still of the belief that this incident was no accident. It came too close to Obama's descision to allow more off shore drilling. I do not believe that who ever is responsible for this meant for it to become the disaster that it is, but, wanted to either make Obama reconsider his position or to give him an out to rescind his previous position. I believe that this particular well was picked BECAUSE it was known that inspections had been lax and that the well's managers WERE taking shortcuts. This would allow the blame to be placed on BP and the Bush Administration.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Indeed, I too can see that whether this was or wasn't an accident, it would play into the hands of several interested parties agendas, both from US and overseas. It is, as they say, a potential game changer, and with the world the way it is now, that certainly does not rule out foul play.

I am of broadly the same opinion, that it could be sabotage gone wrong, the environmental impact I suspect is way beyond what my own top suspects may have had in mind, however, I wouldn't right off negligence, there's a very interesting post about the dangers of working in environments such as this one where gas hydrates pose a great risk.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype

I wouldn't right off negligence, there's a very interesting post about the dangers of working in environments such as this one where gas hydrates pose a great risk.

Could be. I was thinking more along the lines of nano-thermite.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Going back to the core of this thread: Solutions -

It has occured to me that in light of the fact that there seems so little independently scientifically corroborated evidence/data about the exact 3D scale, shape and properties of this spill available (oil/gas/surface/sub-surface/atmospheric) that surely it becomes impossible (for us) to develop accurate all encompassing solutions?

Do we know for example what lurks beneath the surface (or indeed atmospheric dispersals) and where they have already/will travel, I understand currents are different at different depths too?

Also, anybody know what may happen re: salinity/pH values in the region, and possible knock-ons for the Gulf Stream if impacted? Again, couldn't these be massively affected by what may be happening in the depths, including mass sea-life extermination?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by curioustype]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The more the spill expands the more diluted it becomes. Thankfully this is "light crude". Quite a bit of it will evaporate. It is the denser, heavier elements that are the problem. I hope this mud and cement trick works, but, this is like trying to open a frozen soda and not lose any of the soda.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I know, I looked at the flow videos, looked at the Top Kill animation on CNN, and read those posts stating the crazy pressures down there, and I just can't see how the stuff they're looking at pumping into the pipe/bore could hold back those forces - but then I know nothing really of oil/gas extraction anyway, what do I know?

Like you say, they should have immediately drilled another hole and eased the pressure enabling an easier fix on the broken one....mind you, perhaps they have more worrying geo/physical info about the sea floor there, or it would take too long?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Have you seen reports about it in fact being light crude? I've yet to see any 'thing' stating any specifics about the oil itself. If it is light crude then that means that about 75% of it all will evaporate. Medium crude has about 50% evaporate.

Knowing the grade of the oil is about equal to knowing how much is spewing when trying to figure out what the real threat value is, in my view.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Another solution, many of you can get involved with this project:

A public demonstration Web site built by geographic information systems vendor ESRI adds a social spin to GIS mapping as it pertains to the BP oil spill situation in the Gulf. The Gulf Oil Spill Map at the ARCgis Online site shows not only the latest maps of the Gulf of Mexico and the oil plume so you can track it's spread, but also lets you see where people are who are talking about it on Twitter, in news reports and on YouTube.

Source: Social Map of the Gulf

It's an interactive map with real GIS data. You can add links to the map to update other about specific locations with photo or other social links.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I went several pages back and found no thread specifically about SOLUTIONS. Here is the place to chronicle them then!

ATS: Do you have a Novel Solution to the Gulf Oil Spill?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on 3-5-2010 @ 08:02 AM Science & Technology

Moderator, have we acquired advanced thread merge technology yet?

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

There was someone on the news last night talking about a spill in Saudi Arabia (I forget when this occurred) wherein several super tankers utilized their massive suck power to help aid in cleaning up/collecting the oil. Why we haven't positioned a small fleet of super tankers in the Gulf, I don't know.

Alternatively:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Ah, that's why I didn't find it, you posted it over at Science & Technology.

ATS Mods: Will you please edit my OP and put a link to his thread there so people find it right away? These threads are in 2 different forum categories.

PS: How close is ATS to making a new forum for the Gulf Gusher where all these vastly spread out threads will be put together (like Katrina)? I'm guessing actually that the Katrina forum is like a ghost town these days. Maybe you could merge the Katrina and Gulf Gusher subjects into one single forum and title it "Louisiana Blues" or something appropriate. just rambling out loud

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cagliostro

I've heard of them using ships to collect oil, but don't know how they work in principle. But it seems like there could be a way to suck the water-oil mix and have a huge reject outlet like how Reverse Osmosis filters have a reject line where the crap water exits the system.

So perhaps Mega Reverse Osmosis filter ships?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

sorry if it offends you, but i'm a practicing pacifist in favor of passing the fist.

I say:

They broke it, they bought it.

Effective immediatly i believe it would be a huge step for mankind to admit to the obvious and rename The Gulf Of Mexico to The Gulf Of British Petroleum.

we should do this out of obligation to the future to never forget that the company that makes an average profit of 35 Billion Dollars every 3 months for the past 5 years hasn't the resources to fix their mistake. A lack of funds, perhaps?

hmm, 35 billion dollars every 3 month times 5 years = $700,000,000,000,000.

hmm, 700 trillion dollars, wonder how they really spent it?
(not that any authority on earth has the power to make them tell us how all that money was spent)

Anyways, I'll be re-labelling the names on the maps in my house and my car to accomidate the historical accuracy of my own maps.

just admit defeat, change the names on all our maps.

Dear Kevin Costner,
great machines you offered, but sorry B.P. won't let you clean any coastlines on the entire american southern coastlines!

All Hail the almighty B.P.

(perhaps rename america, too?)

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
They need to establish a chain of responsibility from the CEO to the lowest guy responsible for safest and the engineering involved in protecting the gulf from such a disaster and put them in Jail for 10 years with no parole.

These CEO's supposedly get the 25 mil bonuses for taking the risk of being responsible for so much. It is way past time to hold them accountable so future CEO's will do the right thing every damn time.

All proceeds from the sale, all profit should be diverted to the clean up of the gulf and reestablishment of any living thing destroyed or killed in the area.

The stock holders should also feel the pain as stocks need to not be a free ride with no risk for investing in unscrupulous business practices. Yes the stock holder needs to feel the pain..

Taking these strong actions will go a long way toward ensuring other companies take the time and investment to do these type things right and to protect the only world we have to live in.

To stop it. Force feed or side feed dynamite deep into the drill hole and blow it so it will cave in and collapse. The earth above will do the rest.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Have you seen reports about it in fact being light crude? I've yet to see any 'thing' stating any specifics about the oil itself.
[]
Knowing the grade of the oil is about equal to knowing how much is spewing when trying to figure out what the real threat value is, in my view.

Analysis: Gulf leak may be harsher type of oil
By Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles Times
May 1, 2010 | 9:56 p.m.

www.latimes.com...

Gulf oil spill: Tests confirm oil is light grade
May 4, 2010 | 1:41 pm

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Sri

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
is the human race really this incompetent?

This is being used as a political stonewalling and especially being used as a social engineering tool.

i refuse to believe a company that makes hundreds of trillions of dollars in profits in less than a decade can realloy be this irresponsible and insufficient.

there are alterior motives at work here.

i can find no basis for reference within me to use when forming any logical opinion on such a level of lack of responsibility.

there has to be more going on here.

do the math:

hundreds of trillions of dollars in profits, and no viable solution to a problem? they must have had contengencies, or the whole situation is bogus.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Rare Earth Magnets

Use hard rubber / plastic, or aluminum piping to shove into the wellhead / BOP and then pump the mud containing a rare earth magnet every foot or so. With the right technical approach there's got to be a way to make it work. Hundreds of thousands of rare earth magnet could hold, especially when you pump in epoxy paste behind them when it starts to choke it. If they could pump them into the BOP like they are the mud currently this would be the best 'junk'.

Basically modify the pipe after that manifold thing, replacing that section with thick schedule 80 PVC, or something better such as aluminum or titanium. Have it where you can feed in a 1" probe pipe that can snake into the BOP. Then have a sort of 'hopper' that feeds REM spheres with teflon spheres spacing them so that they dont stick together in the hopper line.

This way they can still run the mud system, which is helping to hold back the oil, and as it starts to hold back the leaking start sending in the epoxy.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I'm guessing it's POSSIBLE to use Hydraulics but not practical. It is over 1000 PSI down there -- and Hydraulics typically uses oil under pressure - so as you descend, that would require pumping more just to maintain the position of any equipment. Then you've got the seals and such that are going to change properties as well.

Sealed Electric motors, winches and cables are going to probably be your best bet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join