It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UNDERWATER DOME discovered near Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Scientists have discovered a giant dome 2.5 kilometres below the Timor Sea which they say was caused by an asteroid.

Dr Andrew Glikson from the Australian National University says the dome is 50 kilometres in diameter and was formed when the ground rebounded from the impact of the asteroid.

Source: au.news.yahoo.com...

If only they had bruce willis around when that hit!

[edit on 21-5-2010 by rajaten]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Bruce Willis would have obliterated it...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
ok then......

So can someone explain to me how asteriods cause domes when they hit the Ocean floor

I'm genuinely interested as this would possibly explain similar formations on the Moon and on Mars

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

Well judging by the speed at which an asteroid enters the earth, and judging by the shallowness of the majority of the timor sea....it should be pretty obvious. Its simply become embedded in the sand

Sorry if that came out mean, didnt intend it to

[edit on 21/5/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Wouldn't an asteroid create a "crater" as opposed to a "dome?"

Crater: \__/

Dome: /``\

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disclosure Agent
ok then......

So can someone explain to me how asteriods cause domes when they hit the Ocean floor

I'm genuinely interested as this would possibly explain similar formations on the Moon and on Mars

yeah I thought one caused the gulf of mexico.

I guess since that was land maybe its different though

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
ahhh well there you go......

I thought the article meant that some kind of naturally occurring dome was formed by the exploding rocks and sea bed etc....

So I guess that means they could go down and take mass chunks and experiment on them ?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

It's called a complex crater. There is a rebound effect in the center of the crater that causes an area of uplifted material.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
ahhhhh.....

So instead of the majority of the impact bieng directly in the centre it was more likely to be chunky either side of the middle of the asteroid which pushed the middle up....

I'm guessing kinda like popping a zit so to speak

cheerz mate

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Curses, they found my secret underwater base! Now, I'll have to relocate it again! The logistics are gonna be murder.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
You've no doubt seen a slow-mo recording of a rock/golf ball/whatever hitting water? You will notice that after a rock drops into the water, it does not just form an initial 'hole' in the water surface, rather there is a secondary influx and upshoot of water, being pulled in from all sides towards the impact site. the result of which is the upwards splash.
I think a similar effect on a grand scale happens for certain impact types, the ground acts almost as a fluid due to the imense forces involved.

Pretty awesome find tho!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Use it! Use it to build an underwater metropolis damn it!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Logged-in specifically in order to Star your post/explanation

You described it very well

(starred Phage too)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Tetrarch42

Hell yeah! Lets make our own atlantis under the sea. We can build a dome out of oxygen like in the star wars movie with jar jar binx, where he lived, we can ride giant mutant seahorses and eat fresh seafood chowder for breakfast omg I want in!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
So this bad boy was 50km in diameter?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c9a3098c9720.gif[/atsimg]

Can you imagine the magnitude of the impact of this asteroid? WOW! That must have been a sight...at least for a split second.

S&F Raj, n S for Phage for the pic.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by lagnar]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

I got a feeling its a warning, a wake up call for 2012, for nibiru, for the apocalypse. The end is nigh!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

maybe it is maybe it isn't but the timing of the release of the find surely fits with current events.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

How does an Asteroid hitting the earth 35 million years ago become a warning?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I got a feeling its a warning, a wake up call for 2012, for nibiru, for the apocalypse. The end is nigh!

So maybe we should get together and hang out now, or we may never get the chance? Is that what your saying?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Complex craters are pretty amazing things. The collapse of the transient cavity is driven by gravity, and involves both the uplift of the central region and the inward collapse of the rim. The middle uplifts and the periphery sinks, basically.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join