It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
There's a problem with the transmission of quantum information.

When you check the state of the "sending" quantum, to know what you're sending...poof. It changes and the "receiver" changes.
When you check the state of the "receiving" quantum, to know what was sent...poof. It changes and the "transmitter" changes.
And so on.

So while the quanta are entangled, the information which is transmitted gets kind of muddled. The two are "talking" to each other but it gets pretty noisy. I would think.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Related post :

New Research: Japan Physicist Discovers How to Teleport Energy

Scientists Teleport Matter More Than Three Feet

I care about "energy teleportation" : we need energy to live.

But "matter teleportation" : is related to security. ( and space exploration ).

Well, I just want "free energy" teleported from suns : for our societies. ( other application is not really my interrest ).

@Phage : the subject is more complex : it is "instantaneous teleportation" : there is no communication / and no noise. Having the capacity to "encrypt and decrypt" information in the quantum world is a technical problem ( and i think you know there are allready technical problem on your ethernet cables ).

They ( searchers around the world, and companys ) talks a LOT : about "quantum dot" transistor : but i don't know if a sort of two "intricated" quantum dot transistor could apply to let say : transfer information, energy ... ... ... (this is just an idea of course ).

[edit on 20-5-2010 by psychederic]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Would it then be theoretically possible to tickle another particle in a different universe to enact multiverse travel ?

This is all fascinating stuff

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
There's a problem with the transmission of quantum information.

When you check the state of the "sending" quantum, to know what you're sending...poof. It changes and the "receiver" changes.
When you check the state of the "receiving" quantum, to know what was sent...poof. It changes and the "transmitter" changes.
And so on.

So while the quanta are entangled, the information which is transmitted gets kind of muddled. The two are "talking" to each other but it gets pretty noisy. I would think.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Phage]

If both quantums are in a constant phase of observation, both will be observered all the time, no matter if you would put something in or taking something out. Observing, what you want to sent or what was sent is no changing variable at that moment, it is just observing.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Phage is correct. It is impossible to "transmit" any information using this method, other than information involving the quantum state of the particle.
The quantum state of the particle is entirely random, except for the fact that both entangled particles will resolve into the same quantum state.

If you are on the moon (for example) receiving this "transmission," you can only observe the various quantum states, not any manipulation of them being done back on Earth. If you observe these states, it could just as easily be you as your Earthian counterpart that is doing the resolving. This results in a completely random "signal' and thus no information exchange between your counterpart and yourself.

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but if you go ahead and read the comments under the linked article, this point is made quite clear, amid the cacophony of overexcited, undereducated comments.

Sorry, Scotty, you'll have to do better than this.

Harte

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Harte]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
@Harte :
The intricated particule are intricated

iopscience.iop.org...

They achieve 83% of fidelity. ANd a good transfer protocol ( or checksum algorithm ) could just adjust this rate to 100%

[edit on 20-5-2010 by psychederic]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This has some great military implications as well, regardless of whether you agree with it being applied to military endeavors or not. Think of the way that this would revolutionize the battle field, including the accuracy with weapons, without a human or mechanical spotter needed. With this technology, it would also become easier to deploy robots onto the battlefield. Really, the implications of this technology, both on and off the battlefield are limitless.

--airspoon

[edit on 20-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I know the mint they achived this in the lad years agaio it wa tomorrows cell phone. Rember this proses doesn't have any speed factor involved in it the two photos or ions are exactly the same at the same time regardless of the distance involved.
now we have achieved ten miles it would make no difference if it was 10 billion light years as long as there was a receiver there.
so when the day finlly arives and this tek is mature we will turn it on and finly know if we are ALONE .
No advanced alien civilization would use radio. Radio is limited to light speed and is like a rock thrown into a pond as the ripples move out they get weaker and at galactic distances and the stars power them self's washing it out it would take a transmitter with the power of a sun to keep a good enough single to revive it . and even then 1000s of years to talk to them.
But with this you send and receive anywhere at the same exact moment.
and I immange the power needed is the same as ten miles or ten billion as far as the process is concerned its no different.
so when the day finly comes and we turn on the com-pleat machine I for one expect well will be hooked into the intergalactic internet .
its the only logical way to communicate with another millions of light yaers apart .
so soon well finly get to see kirks green girl friend makes my wonder what she would do for 5 cents worth of plastic beeds .
the only thing that realy baffles me is why we haven't already begone to try using this tek to pick up other photos ions that are not from here?
we may not be able to send yet but we can already receive.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
o brother its not impossible to send informating this way its only a matter of using a meathed to do it binary is nothing but 1 and 0 or 1 and empty space.
so you send 1 then empty spaced its state matters not only that you revived it.
like so lets call the partical 1 and the empty space 0 we transmite this
empty space being a pause just like mores code the tap being the recived particle I cant belive no ones smart enough to figer this out .
tap space tap space tap tap space you dont need to know anything other then you received a tap what the tap is made of matters not
again just like this the particle received used as being a 1 and the empty space and duration being used as 0
111000111 now go look up Morse code and see what the messenger it.
the only thing i need to be able to do is receive the particle realize its coming in groups and translate the groups

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
to make it even easer we see the partical change then change back then change then change back humm a flashing particial could this flashing be like flashing ship to ship we used back in the day?
gess well never know because accoriding to you its impossible to notice a partical that is being changed in a patteren changed stop changed stop

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hey its kinada funny, because i heard about this exact same stuff playing Mass Effect 2!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
eather way we would use to make it work more then one partical or the same one used over and over this would be simple once we can send light years
to add farther for any one whos slow the particle we can see the space is just empty we difine the empty space = to 1 millionth of a nano second
we recive 1 then 3 nano seconds untill the next 1 so it now looks like this
1nanonanonano1 or 1spacespacespace1 or 1001 each 0 being a nano second of nothing

[edit on 20-5-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I love your theories on this subject.

Unfortunately, the universe is probably a hazardous place, so teleporting instantly to anywhere would be a bit nearsighted and foolish.

Somebody needs to locate Arrakis and discover The Spice.

... The Spice must flow.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
This has some great military implications as well, regardless of whether you agree with it being applied to military endeavors or not. Think of the way that this would revolutionize the battle field, including the accuracy with weapons, without a human or mechanical spotter needed. With this technology, it would also become easier to deploy robots onto the battlefield. Really, the implications of this technology, both on and off the battlefield are limitless.

--airspoon

[edit on 20-5-2010 by airspoon]

-cringe-

Unfortunately it wouldn't take long for governments to catch on, either. I think this could also help create true AI. That's something I look forward to in my lifetime. Real thinking machines that evolve into an actual artificial life-form. We just need to clone Asimov and have him around in case the robots go rogue. He would definitely know how to stop the robot uprising.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
o yea it would be fun to have scotty beem you up . makes for a great scifi channle show .
but on the other hand my replay would be a REAL world application of this proses so turn off the tv

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I agree with your views on this.

As i too see the instantaneous teleportation of matter becoming a reality soon, if not already available in a black ops settings..(Montauk; 1960's).

As you say, huge starships would not be required, perhaps only small craft to use when we reach our destination, which would be teleported as part of the colony package themselves, so wouldn't need FTL drives.

Perhaps that is what is happening with the small UFOs, seen throughout the millenia on Earth? They don't have FTL drives, but use quantum teleportation drives instead, to travel what we see as impossible distances to get here, and perform incredibly once they are here?

Maybe.

ETA; Kind of makes SETI look like a couple of tin cans connected with a piece of string, doesn't it! Imagine the implications for conversing with 'neighbours', tens or hundreds of light years away! Hello..yes? instead of Hello...wait centuries..yes?

[edit on 20/5/2010 by spikey]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Yes, the military apps are endless...unfortunately.

A bomb would be delivered ANYWHERE and theoretically anytime, with absolute precision.

Teleport the bomb, or boarding party, to the exact co-ords in space and time, and that's the end of that. No deep bunkers, would be deep enough to protect them. No aircraft would be fast enough, no tank armoured enough, and no sub submerged enough, to protect them from this tech.

A satellite would simply paint the target, and the system would beam the weapons or personnel right on board using the co-ords from the satellite.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
EDIT: sorry double post.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by jonnyc55]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but if you go ahead and read the comments under the linked article, this point is made quite clear, amid the cacophony of overexcited, undereducated comments.

Sorry, Scotty, you'll have to do better than this.

Harte

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Harte]

I get mixed feelings with this comment, i feel its like that picture above and that i agree with your words at the same time.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

did not even have to look it up. SOS ...---...

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join