It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wow this is amazing stuff, I wonder how many other things will be discovered in the next few years.

Definitely an exciting time to be alive!!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm surprised y'all don't get it yet.

Watch this video and then check out this guy's other videos if you really want a better idea of what is going on.

Just to let you know.. if there was a tight-rope tied right here into my house and it went out the window to the moon, would would happen to the other end of the rope if I plucked my end?

Enjoy the video/s.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I wonder if this newer discovery means that there will be a new look at older cases, such as:

Entanglement model of homeopathy as an example of generalized entanglement predicted by weak quantum theory.

Homeopathy is scientifically banned, both for lack of consistent empirical findings, but more so for lack of a sound theoretical model to explain its purported effects. This paper makes an attempt to introduce an explanatory idea based on a generalized version of quantum mechanics (QM), the weak quantum theory (WQT). WQT uses the algebraic formalism of QM proper, but drops some restrictions and definitions typical for QM. This results in a general axiomatic framework similar to QM, but more generalized and applicable to all possible systems. Most notably, WQT predicts entanglement, which in QM is known as Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) correlatedness within quantum systems. According to WQT, this entanglement is not only tied to quantum systems, but is to be expected whenever a global and a local variable describing a system are complementary. This idea is used here to reconstruct homeopathy as an exemplification of generalized entanglement as predicted by WQT. It transpires that homeopathy uses two instances of generalized entanglement: one between the remedy and the original substance (potentiation principle) and one between the individual symptoms of a patient and the general symptoms of a remedy picture (similarity principle). By bringing these two elements together, double entanglement ensues, which is reminiscent of cryptographic and teleportation applications of entanglement in QM proper. Homeopathy could be a macroscopic analogue to quantum teleportation. This model is exemplified and some predictions are derived, which make it possible to test the model. Copyright 2003 S. Karger GmbH, Freiburg

The thing that surprises me is the age the theories and the ban on applied applications. The outcome is inevitable.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Just to let you know.. if there was a tight-rope tied right here into my house and it went out the window to the moon, would would happen to the other end of the rope if I plucked my end?

But that's just the problem. They need a physical connection between the two locations, to shoot the entangled photons through, if I understand correctly.

Communication would be instant, but you would have to build a tunnel from here to the Moon or wherever.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone remember when someone posted about this guy's blog?

astroengineer.wordpress.com...

He claimed he was a NASA engineer that discovered an unknown piece of hardware about the Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity - the piece of hardware was a transmitter that used the theory of entangled particles to receive data from Mars far, far quicker than their standard radio could.

I've no idea if the guy's claims are bogus or legit, but the theory of entangled particles is certainly real.

Two particles can become entangled so completely that a change in one immediately affects the other, no matter how far away it is.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

and

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I've no idea if the guy's claims are bogus or legit, but the theory of entangled particles is certainly real. Two particles can become entangled so completely that a change in one immediately affects the other, no matter how far away it is.

I think everyone is aware of that. The theory was formed in the Einstein days.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
The only reason particles ACT like observation is influencing the Universe is because we "view them" with the equivalent of a cannon ball.

Dude,

The two-slit experiment (among other demonstrations) involves no ""cannonball" approach to observation at all. Yet the photons in it (or electrons, or neutrons, or any other particles you can shoot) collapse upon benign observation.

So, you're simply wrong. You should read up on it.

Did you know that you get an interference pattern behind the slits even when you shoot only one particle at a time?

That is, when there is nothing there to interfere with the particles, they still show interference patterns.
The only way to get rid of these patterns is to detect which slit the particle passed through - this can be done using sensitive electromagnetic sensors.

When you use the detector, the interference pattern vanishes and you have a "shotgun" pattern, as would be expected with particle-like objects.

This can all be done automatically and the results not observed for years, and the same results obtain. I only say that because I know there's several people here that think the observation by a thinking mind is what collapses the wave. It's not.

Not that I think the current theory is complete. Nobody, not even physicists, think this.

And this concept of the Universe made of 28 particles and growing for every unexplained phenomena means that these aren't particles they are looking at.

A lot of this mish-mash is done away with in string theory, but since no one has come up with any way to falsify (or verify) string theory, the only thing to do is to realize there's a pattern there that we haven't picked up on yet, and maybe we never will.

I mean, if string theory is correct, but we can think of no way to test it, it just remains a nice idea, not an explanation.

Harte

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
all this just sounds like background speak on the game half-life

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

What I know is that the method used to achieve Quantum Teleportation allows one to know what the other person knows, but the knowledge itself is random in nature. It's like flipping a coin and knowing that if I see head you will surely see tails, but that still does not allow communication.

Sure you can... Your heads or tails example...change it to 1's and zeroes...

What is this site? In essence, nothing but a fancy display of 1's and zeroes...

Technically, no information is sent (or so the quantum physicists would say...though I'd argue, then how does it know?)....but the behavior is seen, and if the meaning is set ahead of time, well, then you could effect communication....

No, you can't because there's no meaning to the information other than the quantum state.

You can't "change it to ones and zeros," it is what it is. You can only observe it.

And the idea that the sender could "resolve a few" then let some go by unresolved and then "resolve a few" leading to an "on - off" sort of coding is impossible because the reciever has to observe the particles as well and the process of observation resolves them into a quantum state that is random (again, random other than the fact that the particle's counterpart also simultaneously resolves into exactly the same quantum state.)

Of course, quantum entanglement always raises several questions... For one, I think Einstein said it best with his "spooky action at a distance" comment or "God does not play dice"... There has to be SOME kind of connection here that exists beyond our current understanding of forces, waves, etc. that we're not "seeing" with our instruments and/or senses....and THAT is probably more important than finding a way to use something before we even understand it...

This, on the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly with.

Harte

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
No, you can't because there's no meaning to the information other than the quantum state.

You can't "change it to ones and zeros," it is what it is. You can only observe it.

Before I start this is all called Bells Theorem, read about it 30 years ago. About photon pairs, if we can act upon one photon (probably orientation) causing the other to do the same thing, it can be used to control a piece of equipment.

A little bit scary – you could hook the gear onto Hubble and send it further from the earth, but instead of searching the stars point Hubble at earth. What this would mean is that a murder event could be watched happening because of the time spent for light the picture to arrive at Hubble which is now closely watching the location of the crime because the police have directed the camera their several hours after the event.

The authority – (good or bad) will use this tech for control not just of machinery but of us.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If the is some quantum state change in even the minimalist sequence then there is the ability to channel information.

Given even the simple notion that observance diverts the sender to the receiver then that alone denote the possible sequence for change. I think others overlooked this bit while they stared directly at the cause and effect on the sender and receiver.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

I kind of think of Nightcrawler, when I hear this. I'm curious, you wouldn't need to see where your going like Nightcrawler or would you have the same kind of random spotenuity as him when he can't see where he's going? Would you just have to look at Mars and then that would be like you know where you're going? or maybe some coordinates form Mars?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
If I see a pride of confused lions suddenly appear on the street, I now know what would have caused it.

The technology would make skydiving easier, no plane necessary. But don't forget your 'chute.

Course in the wrong hands, it could result in the sky raining lions. rrrrroooaAAARRRRRR-whump-whump-whump...whump...whumpwhumpwhump...scream....screeech...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Quantum entanglement theory, thats what it is. It will make it possible to communicate faster than light for the first time. Now if we can only figure out how to move matter that way.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Quantum entanglement seems to imply that below the Compton wavelength matter stays in phase somehow even over great distances. There just are not any simple analogs in the macro world to describe it. I wonder if the entanglement process limits the observation somehow?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

If I understand this correctly this will allow faster 1 and 0 type communication?

That and teleportation to other places instantly. I wonder if you age when you're traveling entangled with a photon.
I guess distance calculations and safe re-emergence will need to be figured out. Oh man I need to read the article. Giggity.

[edit on 2010-5-20 by sandwiches]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Researchers were also able to maintain the fidelity of the long-distance teleportation at 89 percent— decent enough for information, but still dangerous for the whole-body human teleportation that we're all looking forward to.

Yes it needs work, I'd like to arrive with more than 89 percent of my body intact when I transport. No wonder Dr. McCoy didn't like transporters!

But it's a start. Give it a few centuries. We'll all be dead by the time they get it working.

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
The only way a ST Transporter could even theoretically work would be if there was, indeed, a highly sophisticated receiver unit at the destination... Otherwise, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and the rest of the landing party would have to hit the ground running...at roughly the speed of light.

You have a point. I thought of the ST transporter like a high tech 3-D version of a FAX machine and you have to send to a receiving unit on those also. It's a good thing the fax machine doesn't need a Heisenberg compensator, that is the trickiest component of the Star Trek transporter to build.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
When this is completed then we will could make phone calls with no delay all over the globe. That would be nice.
And internet connections will be much faster when the info can go from one pc to another in seconds if not faster..

Im looking forward to this project at its end.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

will we finally be free of phone networks?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but if you go ahead and read the comments under the linked article, this point is made quite clear, amid the cacophony of overexcited, undereducated comments.

Overexcited, perhaps, but not undereducated. You sound as though you're giving up early — one of the pitfalls of dogmatic and jaded thinking. Perhaps it's time to step aside and allow the bees to fly, although Science says they're incapable of flight.

— Doc Velocity

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join