It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY Artist Makes Modelscapes From Household Items (Wait till you see his Mars one!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
When Richard Dreyfuss began to mold his mashed potatoes at the dinner table in Steven Spielberg’s Close Encounters of the Third Kind in 1977, his family was understandably disturbed. “This is important. This means something,” is all he could say as they stared on in horror.

But as Dreyfuss’ character from the film could see his destiny in the dinner plate, so could Matthew Albanese when he knocked a tub of spices onto the floor. “I knocked over a tub of paprika and I was kind of interested in the texture and the color and the smell and everything,” said Albanese. “It just made sense for me to use that, to start there.”

Working in his self-built studio tucked into the back of his father’s New Jersey warehouse, Albanese employed his art-school education to shape a meticulously detailed relief of the Martian surface.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2984c7965de0.jpg[/atsimg]Paprika Mars was created from paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder and charcoal.

Scale models have been used in movies and television for decades, but not often ones constructed from found materials. Albanese’s results rival those of professional special effects studios, all performed without a team of artisans or expensive equipment.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b7c04c74d52.jpg[/atsimg]Icebreaker was created from sugar, egg whites, corn syrup, cream of tartar, food coloring, India ink and flour.

Working as a freelancer, Albanese shoots architectural, aerial and merchandise photography. As a departure, Strange Worlds forces him to first create the object of focus. Creating planet surfaces and acts of nature from nothing is an immersive process. “I would have to lower my body and look at it from a different perspective,” said Albanese, “and focus on it and make some changes and lower my body again and look at it from another angle and see what I could change and try to imagine what it would be like standing there.” The New Jersey artist says each piece averages a month of work from start to finish. Conceptualization takes the most time, particularly the gathering of materials.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44e4915fc974.jpg[/atsimg]
Everything We Ever Were was created from ash, tile grout, found objects and projection.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c352729f769.jpg[/atsimg]
Created from tile grout, moss, bottle brushes and ground clippings.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4693b93390cb.jpg[/atsimg]
Breaking Point was created from tile grout, cotton and phosphorous ink.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52c3997e5304.jpg[/atsimg]

Source: www.wired.com...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now tell me this young man doesn't have a job waiting for him at the NASA Special Effects Bureau! If he can make Mars and Moon pieces like they show in this article (with common made/possessed materials) watch out for being Punked!

A truly amazing and talented person. It makes me wonder though what a dedicated team of such types could make-? It will be interesting to see where he goes with his talents.

Enjoy the main source link. A LOT more pics and info about his methods and means. Wait till you see the Aurora Borealis one and the Tornado!!!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have to agree, that Mars image is pretty stellar as is the Arctic/Glacial image.

The volcano oddly made me think of this:

Peter's creation is certainly in a different league.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by jibeho]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

LOL LOL Good one.

Remember the young ladies wearing those dresses back then? Well, I do. When women/ladies were ladies.

that was an awesome post. You one funny one!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Wow, nice find.
There are so many of them that I sat here saying to myself "There's no way that's fake!"
He has some insane talent, absolutely beautiful

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
For some reason the whole "pictures or it didnt happen" argument is rendered obsolite in my mind now.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'd buy this guy's book of techniques so I can use them on my model railroad (whenever I get around to building it). Amazing. Sure beats my 4th grade science project volcano.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

LOL I know. From his back yard even. And with so little or common stuff.

I'm telling you, we are gonna see more of this guy-in the future.

Just look at that Volcano set up. And then the tornado one. Well, actually all of them are amazing in there own way.

Be sure to check the source as it as many more pics and info about them.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by jibeho

LOL LOL Good one.

Remember the young ladies wearing those dresses back then? Well, I do. When women/ladies were ladies.

What a DB.

Best,
SN

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Great find OP. Thanks!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Sweet! This guy definetly has talent. Lets just hope its not going to get used to create fake images to make people believe something is real. I am not so sure i would be as willing to believe a picture as proof anymore to be sure.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
This stuff is great. I especially love DIY art made from everyday materials.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I would have to rate the volcano as number 1 with the tornado scene trailing in a close 2nd. This guy is very talented. Whats more important though is that he is origional.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BlankSlate

I can't even imagin what he will be able to do if/when he starts working with the Hollywood folks (or NASA-shhhhh). He can sure trick the minds eye.

I love the special effect that he incorporates into the scenes. He's got a gift for sure.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Further proof that anything can be an illusion. This guy deserves an award!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

I agree with you but I think to this young male, the awards are his masterpieces. Just look at them.

He must get totally consumed by the project(s) while doing them. Probably a perfectionist-no doubt.

I bet he looks at something a 100 times while he is doing it. Up, down, sideways, above.

I would like to see a mini-documentary done on him.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Far out. Thanks OP for an absolutely amazing find. As someone else posted I want this guys book or hire him for my model RR.

Wow, I kept thinking its got to be real.

Thanks.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
That person is a true artist. A Genious IMHO!
Beautifull, original, and i bet his works must have a very nice smell flavour...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Actually this man spoke at my university some months ago. Yes. He is that good. And I would even go so far as to say this is his average work. You guys haven't seen the real stuff yet.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Wow, what talent he has! Great job on his part and great find on yours. Some people are just so naturally talented it is amazing. I'd like to see how far his talent could be pushed without the limitations of kitchen objects.

--airspoon

[edit on 20-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Wow, whoever made those artworks is truly deft and extremely talented.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join