It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A long dark magnetic filament is looping around THE SUN

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by blujay

The sun is assisting us with the process. Any outages or disruptions we experience are just the consequences. Get used to it.

Consequences like babies in incubators dying when their machine fails, you're happy with that are you?

If humanity hadn't gone off and sided with the negative aspects, we'd be seeing a lot less destruction right now.

So, according to you technology is inherently negative? So we as a race should just have sat in mud huts and the 'gods' would be kind to us? LOL.

Exactly why are you using these negative aspects yourself? Surely your enlightenment will not happen as you use a computer (which is self evident by your posts here!) and you use the internet, electricity. I'm guessing you don't live in a mud hut.

To your point, yes people DO get enlightened by catastophy. Haven't you been watching? Just how many hearts do you think opened as we all watched LIVE, the events in Haiti?

How lovely for you, YOU had felt your heart filled by watching others suffer, not so good for the people fighting for food and shelter in Haiti though was it.

It's a collective thing, ya know. We start to realize the oneness of all, this way. How the hell else do you think the current earth population will figure it out?

Oooo, that's deep,
. That reminds me, I must order 'Philosophy for Dummies' for a friend of mine.

People will 'figure it out' as they live, experience and past through history like they have done for millions of years. Actually, humans have been quite good at 'figuring it out' so far - that's why have all this wonderful technology and do not live in mud huts.

Also, terrible catastrophes have happened for millions of years, so why hasn't your 'hippy rapture' happened yet?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Noobastronomer

maybe it is just dumbass me, but when did katla start erupting?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelmae

Originally posted by Durant

Originally posted by Phage
Solar filaments are normal and common aspects of solar activity. There is nothing unusual about them. They are formed when the magnetic field of Sun lifts solar gasses from the surface. They are usually flung off the surface and into space but if they do collapse back to the surface they can create what is known as a Hyder flare. There is nothing particularly severe about a Hyder flare. What is of interest about them is that they occur in the absence of sunspots, the usual source of flares.

No, they do not cause earthquakes or volcanic eruptions.

Even top scientists will tell you we know very little about the Sun. Your overconfidence is misplaced to say the least.

And what has actually been said is that Solar flares cannot be used to accurately predict earthquakes, but that is NOT the same as saying there is not a correlation. Simply science tells you that!

Yea, he is pompous and overzealous with his deflection! But we are onto it.

The sun orchestrates EVERYTHING in the solar system.

Science! Hahaha Come out and play, you sciency logic slaves. It's way more fun out here!

What evidence do you have for that?
Science works on evidence, not guessing games.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

So far as I can tell Katla has not started erupting yet. It takes 24-36 hours for a geomagnetic storm to reach Earth, taken from the time at which the CME occurs (which is normally when the filament collapses back into the photosphere). So we may, or may not, see some effects sometime today or tomorrow.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by treesdancing]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by treesdancing

The filament has not collapsed. And, as you can see, there are a few others.

[edit on 5/19/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Hasn't science been developed through guessing games?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage. I was just in the process of editing my post to add that pic!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by hippomchippo

Hasn't science been developed through guessing games?

No, it's been developed through experiments and reliable evidence.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
reply to post by Phage

Phage - sometimes it seems that the usual sky-is-falling crowd do not want to hear mundane but true explanation of things. Thank you once again for an intelligent answer to a hysterical crowd.

"sky is falling crowd?"...nobody even stated the end of the world thing...people are just curious about what will happen(including me)...some are here to learn stuff so try not be an arrogant a**...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
For those who are interested, acrording to the site the orginal picture came from (www.spaceweather.com) we should be getting a wave of solar wind right about now (20th May).

This however came from the two coronal holes on the right side of sun a few days ago. Unrelated to the filament on the left.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I have done a little research into the solar maximum that should be starting to occur in 2011 (I believe, may be 2012). I realize these are normal cycles the sun goes through and I know the effects of solar flares on our earth normally doesn't pose too much of a problem for our satellites and power lines and such. I also have seen some predictions saying this may be a strong cycle.

I have read of flares, that happened in recent history, that would have destroyed many satellites and possibly shut down power here on earth if the things we have everywhere today were in place in that time. What is your view on how likely a scenario like this could take place? It seems that the people putting these things into space that we rely so heavily on would have something in place to prevent anything from happening but it didn't seem that way the way it was presented. (of course now I cannot find the article I'm referencing but it was a reputable source.)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
No, they do not cause earthquakes or volcanic eruptions.

With respect, my dear Phage, your statement of fact has not been proven. Certainly, proffer a theory that they do not, but let us not have statements of facts without the clear establishment of the scientific fact.

Otherwise, much obliged to you for your knowledge and your willingness to share here in the shark tank.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

im no expert but does this have any connections to the volcano(katla) that just went off??

Am I missing something?? When did "Katla" go off?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

While it's perfectly alright for some to claim that there is a connection? We see that claim in the "shark tank" a lot more than we see the converse.

Ok. There is no evidence that solar filaments cause earthquakes or volcanic eruptions.

Better?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

cyclone alert in INDIA

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
some more pics

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yeh. What Wookiep said

First thing i thought aswell

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Mabey the Sun mother is about to show how she really feels about all the ignorant behavior being done to the Earth within the solarsystem inwhich it keeps warm. Especially at the BIG MESS that seems to be a joke here on Earth, lol @ big mess LMAO @ CELESTIAL INCOMMING, cant even keep it real about the DEEPWATER SPILL.....WEAK SUBHUMANS

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noobastronomer

Originally posted by tallcool1
reply to post by Phage

Phage - sometimes it seems that the usual sky-is-falling crowd do not want to hear mundane but true explanation of things. Thank you once again for an intelligent answer to a hysterical crowd.

"sky is falling crowd?"...nobody even stated the end of the world thing...people are just curious about what will happen(including me)...some are here to learn stuff so try not be an arrogant a**...

End of the world? Where in my quote did I say that? What I was commenting on was that Phage explained how this filament would have little, if any, effect on the Earth. To which several people blasted him for being "overconfident", "pompous and overzealous with his deflection", etc.

People in here do not want to hear the logical, likely outcome of something that is admittedly pretty cool, but will not really affect us. And my comment was not directed at you personally as it does seem to me that you are truly asking out of curiosity...still though, a few posts after mine there began the usual global awakening and 2012 crap so there's your TEOTWAWKI crowd chiming in.

Again though - my comment was not directed at you. I truly was not trying to come off as arrogant and I sincerely apologize to you if I offended you with my comment.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Let's stick to the Topic and stop discussing each other , Please.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join