It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger's solution to California's budget woes: End welfare

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Schwarzenegger's solution to California's budget woes: End welfare

rawstory.com

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on Friday unveiled plans to plug California's budget deficit by slashing billions of dollars worth of funding for services designed to help the state's poor.

Schwarzenegger's budget proposals would see spending cuts of 12.4 billion dollars and include the elimination of California's welfare-to-work program and virtually all child care for low income families.

"California no longer has low-hanging fruits,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ocregister.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Stop Whining About Economy, Says Schwarzenegger

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I can't say I am disappointed in seeing some one has the stones to do this. I say that because usually when a person of authority comes out and says they want to do this, there are scores of people both in positions of power, and out crying to keep the funding in place. The source article did not say to anything about the opposition. I just do feel there will be plenty of it though.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+12 more 
posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Well, first he has to stop this funding for illegals in his state, then he can make cuts from there.

Really, it's just another way of saying without meaning to, he's going to follow in the footsteps of Arizona.

+12 more 
posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Really, it's just another way of saying without meaning to, he's going to follow in the footsteps of Arizona.

He's doing it the smarter way. Why waste resources rounding people up when you can cut off their resources? They will pick up and leave on their own.

Good luck to him though. People will probably riot.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Well, first he has to stop this funding for illegals in his state, then he can make cuts from there.

Cut off welfare and lot's of undocumented people won't be receiving benefits. Hopefully they take the hint.
So in a way, you are correct in following AZ's lead- he's just trying to go about it from the other direction. Unfortunately though, he'll catch flak all around.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
Cut off welfare and lot's of undocumented people won't be receiving benefits. Hopefully they take the hint.

I don't even think illegals are the main issue. There are tons of legal citizens getting benefits. The natives will get very restless. The one thing about entitlements is you can give them all day but, it's hard as hell to take it back.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

He never said that according to the source.
No way.
He is just targeting the poor.

"Proof positive that steroids turn you into a morally-debased cretin and Californians are morons for electing this freak. "

Read the first comment at the source.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by abecedarian

I don't even think illegals are the main issue. There are tons of legal citizens getting benefits. The natives will get very restless. The one thing about entitlements is you can give them all day but, it's hard as hell to take it back.
I don't think they are the issue either- it's the budget he's trying to trim.
However, once you clear the books of all welfare recipients, slowly bring them back on, vetting their status as they go.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

He did not come right out and say it, but you can bet that is what he means.

Can you say, riot?

Whether he is just targeting the poor, you can bet people are going to scream foul for cutbacks on services that illegals get.

This will make Watts look like a day in the Park.

edit for clarification

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Yeah, legal or illegal; if you give a mouse a cookie he'll want a glass of milk. Unfortunately, at the expense of tax payers we've provided a buffet of milk and cookies and all sorts of other wonderful treats. If all this is cut, you can expect riots and civil disobedience like no other. It will create a war with the HAVES against the HAVE-NOTS. Those on welfare for some reason, have many kids (I'm guessing to receive more benefits?) so when the kids go hungry, like a pride of hungry lions, those who bring home the dinner will attempt to take down anything that can provide sustenance for the rest of the pride.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If welfare is taken away many of them will turn to crime. It is much cheaper to give them welfare than to keep them in jail.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

reply to post by RRokkyy

He did not come right out and say it, but you can bet that is what he means.

Can you say, riot?

Whether he is just targeting the poor, you can bet people are going to scream foul for cutbacks on services that illegals get.

This will make Watts look like a day in the Park.

edit for clarification

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

Anchor babies = welfare
Nobody is taking welfare away from babies.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

come on, you know illegals are to blame.

Americans don't abuse their own system.

Americans don't elect representatives who can't manage a budget.

+2 more 
posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is an extremely poor decision, the repercussions of which he can't imagine.

When is California going to elect a real politician instead of a pretty face?

This will never, never work. The Feds will have to step in on this one.
They can step in before and prevent it, or step in afterwards to do damage control with the National Guard. Take your pick.

eta: This is targeting the poor regardless of legal status. Want to save money? Hit on the poor. Why not? They have no power.

[edit on 5/15/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

link   

This guy is funny, he really is.

Illegal immigrants may not be the whole of the problem, but they sure don't help either.

He's spent years and years wanting to spend and spend to help these people out, and now he wants to pull the plug? What does he expect that to accomplish? Total chaos? I think he'll get his wish. He's got about as much foresight as a 10 year old.

Serves the people of Cali right by voting that bozo in in the first place. Just goes to show, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

And what was that comment about low lying fruit? Is he a sexist or just "picking " on the mexicans?

Peace

link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Anchor babies = welfare

Americans they are.

I thought Americans took care of their own.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This won't pass. The sociological effects would be devestating. In a state that is experiencing economic issues which results in lower availability of jobs what the hell will the people whom have subsided on welfare do?

This is the stupidest thing I have heard and is not only pandering to the pseudo informed middle class but harshes on them too...because they are going to feel the effects on increased crime et cetera.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Ahnald may cut the welfare program and cause a lot of illegals to take
a hike. The only problem is that they will sleaze their way to the north.
It will be the same ones milking the economy for whatever they can get
for nothing. It will just be in another state, and we have way more illegals
up here in the northern part of the US now, than are needed. These people need to be cut off everywhere they go. And hey, if that means stepping on the toes of certain lazy, useless couch asses that are citizens, then so be it. Get off your fat behinds and go to work. Quit
leaching off the rest of us. They are all bums.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

This is one of the reasons why "welfare" or public assistance has continued as long as it has. It's not still in place simply for altruistic reasons.

The "haves" and "the have-nots". I'm thinking the "have-nots" might just be a wee bit ticked off about this.

Surely, someone with a brain with step in and advise the poor thing.
I bet his wife has her knickers in a knot about the mere suggestion of this.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
This won't pass. The sociological effects would be devestating. In a state that is experiencing economic issues which results in lower availability of jobs what the hell will the people whom have subsided on welfare do?

This is the stupidest thing I have heard and is not only pandering to the pseudo informed middle class but harshes on them too...because they are going to feel the effects on increased crime et cetera.

Exactly, it will be akin to dropping a nuclear bomb in the state. Riots in the street, crime through the roof, the homeless population would sky rocket. This is not about illegals vs legals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join