It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Deny ignorance" on ATS is ignorance.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Let's just take a look at the simple term...

deny... ignorance. To deny that ignorance is present.

I personally believe the intentions of this was to deny others ignorance. [EDIT: I understood it to mean, to not be ignorant] But I believe this creates a gray area thanks to language. And in a time like this, we must be concise with our meanings and intentions. We are at the cusps of of redefining the intended common understanding of words and meanings for a new generation.

I say, "recognize ignorance, shout ignorance, accept ignorance". In others and in ourselves. We must OVERCOME ignorance. And that can only be done when we recognize and accept it in ourselves, and shout ignorance at others and help them recognize and accept it.

It's time we get over our egos and accept that we have been raised on perverted philosophies that have obviously lead us down a path of fascism and unethical practices.

So I say we replace the saying "deny ignorance" with "OVERCOME ignorance".

[edit on 14-5-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I agree.

but people also have to overcome it before they make it to this place at all.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Actually it makes perfect sense if you don't add your own words to it. "Deny" means, "To refuse to let have," or it could mean, "to refuse to accept or believe," or it could mean, "to declare untrue; contradict." You added your own words by saying, "to deny that ignorance is present". The slogan simply says, "Deny ignorance". That's all.

www.google.com...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Not everyone here has overcome it, sadly. And not everyone is as open to recognizing it.

Originally posted by dbloch7986
Actually it makes perfect sense if you don't add your own words to it. "Deny" means, "To refuse to let have," or it could mean, "to refuse to accept or believe," or it could mean, "to declare untrue; contradict." You added your own words by saying, "to deny that ignorance is present". The slogan simply says, "Deny ignorance". That's all.

www.google.com...

Oh no I agree. Like I said it's a gray area thanks to the common understanding of language. It can be either or. Whereas overcome is far more forward.

To me it sounds strong, triumphant, that golden road to freedom.

EDIT: In regards to the "To refuse to let have". Then it would be..

To refuse to let one have one's own ignorance. And that should be self-evident regardless. We are here to remove ignorance from everyone! Not just prevent it from within our self.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Reply to post by mryanbrown

Well you're actually enabling ignorance by telling us to not recognize the true meaning of the word. If the slogan doesn't make sense to people then they should actually clarify the meaning instead of ATS just changing the slogan to benefit their ignorance.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
sounds like pot-talk

exept with lots big words.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The intent of the motto is quite well explained here.

The simple yet effective motto of our membership is "deny ignorance", which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Through the use of critical thought rather than blind acceptance and a disregard of available evidence (actual evidence), propositions born of ignorance can be denied.

Ignorance: the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

Deny: to state that (something declared or believed to be true) is not true: to deny an accusation.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

I recognize and accept ignorance every day that I go into town because I have to recognize and accept reality on it's own terms.

Just because I accept something doesn't mean that I have to like it. And I don't. The reality I see is a boatload of sheeple going about their daily routine seemingly oblivious to what's REALLY going on behind the scenes. I think they live that way because they really feel they couldn't make any difference if they DID know what's really going on.

I deny ignorance every day by simply not being a part of it. I have yet to meet a person within a 50 square mile radius of where I live that I colud have a conversation with to the extent that I have conversations here with faceless posters.

I guess that's one of the prices you pay by living in the boonies.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I didn't know there was all that culture behind it. I never found that page on here. I truly meant no disrespect to ATS or the members behind it with the OP.

Secondly, I disagree with the notion that I'm continuing ignorance by not using the "true" meaning of the word.

As Phage had said,

Ignorance: the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

Deny: to state that (something declared or believed to be true) is not true: to deny an accusation.

to state that the state of being ignorant is not true

I only wished to state that due to the gray area of common understandings of words, and their accepted use. That the deny ignorance slogan has a certain duality afforded to it.

And in these unclear times, we need to be more simple and precise in the language we use. To best convey our intentions with as little room for conjecture as possible.

And that when I hear or read the word overcome. It suggests that one has moved through hardship to better days. And that's exactly the hope I have for both America, the Earth, and the perpetual ignorance of our species.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
i agree overcome ignorance, but lately i feel the new motto should be embrace ignorance. i will explain, it seems censorship still exists here. the mods are trigger happy when they cut and snip our long winded off topic posts. they are drunk with power. this has corrupted them, made them lose sight of the truth we are all seeking
MODS i am not bitter because i have been censored. i just want to remind you with this qoute from Star Trek: The Next Generation – Picard quoting Judge Aaron Satie

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably"

peace.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by gaurdian2012]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I suspect that ignorance is a lot like human poverty, it just always seems to be there somewhere.

Maybe it would be better to say 'Confront Ignorance'.

'Battle Ignorance'?

I personally like:

'Challenge Ignorance' to sharpen both your wits.

When one naively thinks ignorance has been conquered is the moment one has in fact fallen prey to it.

'Enlighten Ignorance'? too passive for my sensibilities.

top topics

join