It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coincidence?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hello, I'm new to the board. I came across it one day of surfing. I regisitered yesterday and today I get a call from a number I don't recognize. I never pick up unknown numbers and let the machine get it. So I check it and its quiet and then some kind of voice/groan for a split second. Then pause again and then another strange noise. Then hangs up. SO , I do a reverse lookup and of course nothing. So I look for the area code and exchange. I type both those into a search engine and all numbers associated with the area code and exchange are all FCC numbers. I call it back, and get "We're sorry, the number you have dialed is no longer in service, please check the number and try again"

This odd? I'm not a paranoid person, but just seemed a bit odd.

Thanx

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It might just be a coincidence, unless this happens to others who register. I wouldn't worry about it though. The other day, I had an unidentified call, I picked up and said, "hello", twice, only to get silence for about 7 seconds then the other end hangs up. There hasn't been anymore calls like that, though.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thats what I figured, but being the number belongs to the FCC and comes back not in service is odd. I have the number if anyone feels the need and also have put it on mp3 format.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Which area code did it originate from? I did not recieve any strange calls (that I'm aware of) after I registered. Sounds like it may have just been a wrong number, but the part about the FCC is intriguing.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
(202) Washington DC. Thats what is puzzling. Otherwise it would seem just wrong number.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hmmm... what is FCC?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gator
Thats what I figured, but being the number belongs to the FCC and comes back not in service is odd. I have the number if anyone feels the need and also have put it on mp3 format.

Don't forget that a lot of big organisations have lots of lines out, and these may not accept incoming calls, nor be listed as 'valid' numbers. My own organisation has one publised telephone number to get into the site, but any outgoing call may get out on any one of upto 32 different lines - as an end user I would have no idea which one though, not in truth would I need to.

(In the UK) these lines often don't have the CLI enabled, so if I'm phoning home from work, I get 'number not available on my CLI logs'. Might not be the same everywhere, I don't know anything about US telco carriers, but I'd guess the first bit (about outgoing lines) is pretty much the same ...

Like IMMORTAL said - I wouldn't worry [yet].

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Thanx people. Just thought it was odd.

Hmmm... what is FCC?

Federal Communications Commission

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it. People get strange calls all the time; I wouldn't associate the call to joining a message board.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by parrhesia]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
I wouldn't worry about it. People get strange calls all the time; I wouldn't associate the call to joining a message board.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by parrhesia]

I was gonna say that! The FCC's (Whoever it consists of) phone bill would be huge with the amount of board members and the amount that join each day, thats not including intercontinental/international phone tarrifs etc..!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
In the UK, this happens from time to time with telemarketing call centres.

A computer continually dials numbers out and then allocates the ringing line to whichever call centre operative is free. When none of them is free, the call continues to get made and so when you answer it there's no-one there.

It's very irritating - one way to get your own back when you receive a call is to leave your phone off the hook for a while and leave the line open. This really p1sses them off because it ties up one of their lines for a while.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrisjohns

A computer continually dials numbers out and then allocates the ringing line to whichever call centre operative is free. When none of them is free, the call continues to get made and so when you answer it there's no-one there.

It's very irritating - one way to get your own back when you receive a call is to leave your phone off the hook for a while and leave the line open. This really p1sses them off because it ties up one of their lines for a while.

I live in the UK too!
Staybright windows has gotta be the number 1 culprit for this!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Did you watch a strange Video right before the phone rang? If I was you I wouldn't hang around any TV sets once a week passes.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
At least once or twice a day I get calls when i hear breathing but no one talks then they hang up but i don't have caller ID so I don't know the number.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
At least once or twice a day I get calls when i hear breathing but no one talks then they hang up but i don't have caller ID so I don't know the number.

Ever heard of prank callers.... Thats about all they'll do, its their phone bill thats runing up not yours so i wouldnt worry

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
well thanks for the humorous replies. like I said, it seemed odd that I get a prank call from the FCC.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r

Do you live with anyone else? its possible they are calling for the other preson, and decide not to speak when you pick up. that's happened to me before. (fortunatly, i figured out who it was, and they hung up cause they know i dont like them, and decided it would be easier to avoid me...smart guy, thats all i can say)

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Sounds like exactly what goes on here in the US as well, I wouldn't worry about it......the reason the number comes back as non-working is similar to many big businesses, it's a function of the switchboard setup, to ensure you go through proper channels to get someone's direct extension.... Since a computer is dialing it, it routes your callback to an automated response.....

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221

Yes - they really are a bunch of persistant bastards.

Just before I left the UK I was at my parents house. They were away for an hour or so and so when the phone rang, I amswered it in case it was them ...

[Ring]

Pisky: "This is the original Cornish Pixy"

Telemarketer: "Hello, I'm from Staybrite windows ... -[Goes off into long winded spiel] ... Would you like a rep to visit ?"

Pisky: "No thanks"

Telemarketer: "But ... [Repeats spiel]"

Pisky: "I'd rather not thanks"

Telemarketer: "Surely you would prefer [Spiel again]"

Pisky: "I really don't need your service thanks"

Telemarketer: "Why not ?"

Pisky: "Because its not my house"

Telemarketer: Oh

Well, that wasted ten minutes of his time. Gob#e.

They didn't phone again.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky

Originally posted by Stuey1221

Yes - they really are a bunch of persistant bastards.

Just before I left the UK I was at my parents house. They were away for an hour or so and so when the phone rang, I amswered it in case it was them ...

[Ring]

Pisky: "This is the original Cornish Pixy"

Telemarketer: "Hello, I'm from Staybrite windows ... -[Goes off into long winded spiel] ... Would you like a rep to visit ?"

Pisky: "No thanks"

Telemarketer: "But ... [Repeats spiel]"

Pisky: "I'd rather not thanks"

Telemarketer: "Surely you would prefer [Spiel again]"

Pisky: "I really don't need your service thanks"

Telemarketer: "Why not ?"

Pisky: "Because its not my house"

Telemarketer: Oh

Well, that wasted ten minutes of his time. Gob#e.

They didn't phone again.

Thats when ya can really start annoyin 'em, ask them for all the details n leave the phone on the table or somethin, come back and ask them how their family are

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join