It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School scraps team trip to Arizona

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

That's what I don't get. If you're legal, you're legal. I carry my ID everywhere. If a cop wants to see it, fine with me.

I guess these girls are getting a good education in dealing with a-holes early on though.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

The way things are going in this world, the sooner a child gets educated about a-holes, the better... I just ahte that these girls had to miss out because one of their school officials was a douche.

Incidentally I'm glad to see more level-headed people like you say things like this. It is a fairly simple law to understand. If you're legal you're legal. When you drive, have your drivers' license. If you're out and about, have your wallet. Y'know, the very same things that most people do. I fail to see the problem...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Maybe the entire team is made of illegal immigrants and the school is afraid they will all be taken and send over the border.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2112
reply to post by whaaa

Then why did you say it was because dealing with the cops in AZ would be a hassle for your girlfriend, sparky? If it's a political statement just say so

Well I'm saying so now. And I wasn't aware that business decisions and political statements were mutually exclusive.

And perhaps this decision by the Gov. will actually be beneficial in securing the borders; I hope so. They need it. IMO more effort should have been used in protecting the borders than targeting Arizona citizens that may have been born there.

I just think her decision was racially motivated and capitalizing on the current attitude of making Mexicans and Latinos the national scapegoat; legal, illegal or green card.

I think that nationally Gov. Jans transparent political pandering will bear bitter fruit for the GOP.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by whaaa]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm pretty sure her decision was in direct response to the rancher that got gunned down on his own property by an illegal immigrant two months ago... not a whole lot of people understand how freaked out people in Arizona were by that. It brought a general problem into stark relief for a lot of people in that state. She was being harangued by her constituents to do something after waiting years for the Feds to do their job and so, she did.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

I'm pretty sure her decision was in direct response to the rancher that got gunned down on his own property by an illegal immigrant two months ago... not a whole lot of people understand how freaked out people in Arizona were by that. It brought a general problem into stark relief for a lot of people in that state. She was being harangued by her constituents to do something after waiting years for the Feds to do their job and so, she did.

Sorry, I just don't see how asking Latinos for their papers will do a damn thing in protecting people on the border or anywhere else in AZ for that matter. Seems to me a case of closing the barn door after the horse has already run off.

Boots on the ground, a unit lined up on obvious entry points, armed, locked and loaded makes much better sense, instead of placing the burden on the already over worked LEOs.

No, It was just transparent political pandering; typical politicians strategy of taking the easy way out for the purpose of appealing to her political base.

I have lived and been involved in local politics in the SW for a very long time and am intimately familiar with the political machinations around these parts.

Jen is the female counterpart to Rick Perry in Texas. "All hat, no cattle" as Sen McCain said.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by whaaa]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well, she's a politician so she's completely full of #$%@... I don't think there's any disagreement there. She may very well be politically pandering; my support for the bill has little to do with her.

I support it because I think it will lead to exactly what you were talking about; more boots on the ground, more actual border enforcement - and all at the behest of the Feds finally getting off their asses and doing their jobs before they get caught up in a bill-induced political firestorm that none of them can "pander" their way out of... it's a not-so-popular means to a positive end. Least I hope it is... the fact is that even if it's ultimately found to be unconstitutional (in it's revised form I don't see how, but if it is) we now have numerous states now trying to enact their own versions of it. This is an issue that can no longer be swept under the rug by vote whoring politicians - and in the meantime if it makes one more person in Arizona feel a little safer, whether justifiably so or not, so much the better.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I actually see it as getting the mouse out of the barn before you close the doors. I wish I could feed all the mice, but I don't want everyone to starve to do it.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I carry my ID with me as a matter of course, and have taught my kid to as well. I don't think there is any reason not to, what if you get hit by a car or whatever, it's just kind of fundamental info. I'm glad we don't have security at every turnpike obviously, but you know, in the spirit of totally supporting actually ENFORCING EXISTING LAWS -- even if that means making a NEW local law to do it -- I would be happy to start carrying my ID, my license, AND my proof of citzenship in whatever form makes them happy with me regularly.

I'm just fed up with the "you're just racist!" whine being played over the last few years -- it's like some adult version of the 'cootie" accusation. Let's see: "enforce existing border security laws/intents, help improve both economy and crime rate, reduce terrorism risk" in door A; and "you just hate mexicans, whaaaa!" in door B. How do people who can't differentiate these issues make it across the street alive, let alone run businesses?

I have an idea. Let's try the alternative approach: don't really enforce laws, be really worried about namecalling, and support illegal aliens en masse. Oh wait! We already did that! That's why south-state economies are being leeched like an oil spill and Arizona's got whole sections of no man's lands that are nearly warzone regions. Well hey, we gave that a righteous good try for a lonnnnng time now and I think it's fair to say that is NOT WORKING out in any positive way for our country or its people. So, it's time to try something different.

What I have to wonder is, when you look at the serious harm done both economy and crime rates in our country by the illegals problem... and the incredible terrorism-etc. danger from unsecured borders... and then you consider these people who are so fanatic about not wanting collective efforts to rectify the problem... well exactly whose country are they supporting? Because it certainly isn't this one.

Shame we can't deport them as well -- then they could live in the country they most support, and we could be rid of them and left with a slightly larger % of people who actually give a damn about the well-being of the state and the nation.

RC

[edit on 13-5-2010 by RedCairo]

[edit on 13-5-2010 by RedCairo]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

That all makes sense then. So now there will be no murder in Arizona without illegal aliens. Good job then. I guess I saw it as something else. So, how come there was no murder before either? How is it that in my state plenty of legal citizens commit murder but in Arizona, an immigration law will prevent it?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hell the purpose of this thread was not to debate the AZ law. It was to discuss whether or not a school administrator should be banning kids, KIDS, from participating in a sporting event as a political statement. It was pretty much admitted to be a political statement. I don't understand how anyone can support this decision, regardless of their views on immigration policy. Let the kids play bball damnt.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This same school let a group of students go on a field trip to Communist China.

That says alot.

The school is simply saying to these basketball players....."Your accomplishments are nothing compared to our agenda." "But thanks for being our political pawns!"

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
good for them, i am glad they are boycotting. one day they will be hailed as heroes and patriots!!! my friends recently traveled through arizona to get to california and were in two seperate road blocks to check for ids..they werent committing any crimes, they were simply driving through the state. the first road block they had to show id, the second road block they were allowed to pass through, they are both white. i'm all for having your id on you at all times when posssible, i am not for being harrased and pulled over randomly and asked. if i am speeding or committing a traffic offense, so be it, pull me over and ask for my licence. i dont want to be under a police state, with checkpoints all over the place, come on people dont you see where this is leading???

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
good for them, i am glad they are boycotting. one day they will be hailed as heroes and patriots!!!

The players that earned the trip are NOT boycotting. Some bleeding heart bureaucrat is using these kids achievement to make his bleeding heart feel better. I thought bullying kids in school was frowned upon?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

So if both of your friends are white, but were still stopped and IDed, what do you have a problem with?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

i have a problem with checkpoints and being pulled over for no reason, i dont want to live in a police state.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Well nothing in this thread before you came along had anything to do with checkpoints. It is not relevant to the girls being denied their trip, and it is not relevant to AZ legislation.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

perhaps the school has morals. ever think of that? perhaps the school can see where this bill is leading us? i am happy they are standing up to this bill. that is my point of view and i am happy to express it.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
if you polled the girls on the team i would be curious to see the outcome, but it would just cause more drama.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So if the Highland Park School district, are so afraid of Illegal's hurting their players... Then isn't Arizona justified in enforcing a Law, that was already on the books? I'm so tired of everybody who dosen't live in Arizona passing judgement... People stand on their moral high horse, but don't live in a place where kid napping's happen almost everyday from Illegals. The Schools are run by liberal Idiots...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join