It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth Virtuous?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Everything in me tells me that truth is virtuous, I just haven't figured out how yet. Anyone else having this problem?

Please tell me there is someone else on this planet who still thinks there's some reason for all of this. Some light at the end of the tunnel. Some reason other than happenstance for self-awareness at all. Please tell me I'm suffering in stagnancy for some practical or viable reason. Or, if you prefer negativity, please tell me I'm NOT suffering in stagnancy for NO reason at all.

Please tell me that the truth is somehow virtuous, and if you can, please tell me how. And please try to expand your mind passed the remedial "Well, if we know the truth, we can make viable decisions toward a certain end." It's not the end (the future) or the beginning (the past), or even personal motive I'm interested in. I'm interested in the now. How does knowing truth improve or positively impact your life, at the moment. If it doesn't...please tell me how you cope with it, beyond merely ignoring it or purposefully distracting yourself from it.

Because, I gotta tell ya...the more realism I find, the more burden I bare; the more the more heartache I endure...the more I suffer, period. The more I lift my head from the sand, the more I want to put it back inside the hole (or whole if you will).

Everything in me tells me that knowing the truth is the quickest path to preparing for it, but for what are we preparing, and just HOW LONG do we have to prepare? Am I going insane in mere vanity or zealousness? Am I the only one noticing the immediacies we are staring in the face? And if you have to ask, "What immediacies?" just don't post. Don't waste my time, and I hereby apologize for wasting yours. Go back to watching TV and enjoying your well-earned entertainments. I honestly hold no grudge, believe me.

I suppose I could be just fishing for a hand or two to pull me back into the boat (of sanity). Please help...or just come pick me up...I'm ready for my electro-shock memory wipe, because neither detox nor tox seem to be working anymore.

Everything in me tells me that truth is virtuous, please tell me how.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by lagnar]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It isn't so much that the truth is virtuous. It is practical. Lying to oneself, or buying into deceptions fed to us by others, makes a person vulnerable to so many things. Deceptions always have an agenda. They (the deceptions) don't allow for growth/ experience or allow things to take their natural course (whatever that is- for good or ill). They exploit, manipulate & cheat. They are the opposite of fairness.
The truth usually requires effort. Taking it into account means someone is going to have to do more rather than less. It isn't always comfortable, easy or, God Knows, popular (because it makes other people uncomfortable- especially if they have an agenda or "don't want the hassle"). We live in a world where many people see honesty as a hassle when, in reality, it is the other way around.
You can't lie to your subconscious. If a person tries to lie to themselves, it erodes their self esteem & every aspect of their personality because they know what they're doing, no matter how hard they try to deceive themselves.
There is a difference between truth and opinion or an agenda.
Is that kinda what you are asking? I hope it helps.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
every time you lie its like throwing away little self respect and in the end you`ll think of yourself as a peice a s**t, in most cases lieing to some one is disloyal, dishonorable and means you are worthless to who ever you lie to. the only time i find lieing acceptable is if the truth will destroy the person hearing it like if thay have a gift from someone important to them thay think is great thats really just junk

oh and the other is does my bum look big in this....i have answerd this with yeah a little bit..BIG MISTAKE

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Now a days it seems truth is just an illusion. All I see is lies and deception. Which also comes with greed. But people don't see this and just ignore it.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Truth can be an anchor affixing you firmly so that the waves of lies and deception can't knock you about.

Truth can also be a club that beats at you. You could stand up to the beating and deal with the bruises or you could just duck.

Is truth virtuous? It depends on how it's used.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Whether anyone likes or dislikes the truth, the primary question, to my mind, is how the truth affects what happens.

When things happen that affect the lives of individuals, families, and entire nations, the knowledge, or lack of knowledge, of the truth helps to decide whether events occur to favorably affect our lives, or whether our lives will be adversely affected by the lies.

Wars are started by lies. Improper governmental actions start by lies. Financial developments that destroy the lives of the "little people" while the rich get richer, are also started by lies.

The truth will sometimes be dull and boring, yet that truth is the difference of whether events make our lives better or worse.

However, it is difficult to present the truth, especially when those who should be most interested don't want to pay attention.

Knowing the difference between the truth and a lie is the difference of whether a government is beneficial to its citizens, or acting in ways that actually damage those citiizens they are meant to protect.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

The world exists in spite of the truth.

Truth is paradoxes, you will find it when you stop looking. Remember that the truth is found within your own paradigm, stop waiting for it, stop looking for it, you ARE already the truth, when you fully realize and understand what i have said you will know.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Telling the truth is virtuous because society tends to define it as such. If society decided that lying was morally right, then lying would be virtuous.

As it stands, all the things kids are bombarded with from TV to their parents (if they're good people) emphasize honesty.

The "truth" is kind of a blanket term. I suppose how knowing it helps you in your daily life depends on what truth you're talking about. If you know it's true that flipping a light switch turns on a light, then you can see at night.

As far as the greater truths are concerned, the ones that seem to most concern the people here, I wouldn't worry too much. At least not to the point where you start doubting your sanity. While some of the things the MSM tell you are lies, so are some of the things you read here. They both emphasize the negative aspects in order to sensationalize things. How many threads are about hidden shadow governments working for the good of the people? There have to be some people in places of power working for the good of everyone; if not for altruistic reasons then because a happy safe populace is good for their own pocket books and allows them to remain in power.

Do what you think you need to to be safe, but don't freak out. Every generation thinks things are coming to a head. That the world as they know it will end, but we're still here. My grandparents had Hitler the great depression and my parents had communism and nuclear war, but we somehow pulled through.

Life isn't always doom and gloom.

top topics

join