It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Snakebites Are About to Get a Lot More Deadly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The cure for North American coral snake bite is about to disappear. Why an unprofitable anti-venom may end up costing lives.
As venomous snakes go, the coral snake is a clumsy biter. Unlike pit vipers such as rattlesnakes and cottonmouths, which have gruesomely efficient fangs that articulate forward during a strike and inject venom like hypodermic needles, the brightly colored coral snake has small, rear-facing fangs that guide venom into a wound. This process doesn't always work well--experts estimate that 25 percent of coral snake envenomations are dry bites--which is perhaps why the coral is so unaggressive. The snake is found throughout Florida, as well as in parts of Alabama, South Carolina, Louisiana, Texas and Arizona, but there are generally only about 100 or so bites each year.

so who cares if you die we arent making money .
health care cost at its lowest dont make money off it you die
welcome to earth thrid rock from the sun the planet that just dont give a hoot
www.popularmechanics.com... opps linkey linkey

[edit on 12-5-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
So probably no more anti-venom available after 10-31-2010 eh?
That is not good. Although they are definitely rarer than
rattlesnakes in Texas, they are around.

Didn't like this section from the article either:

"If and when shortages do occur, many hospitals will have no other option but to intubate coral snake bite victims on ventilators for weeks until the effects of the toxin wear off--potentially costing hundreds of thousands of dollars per bite. "It's probably going to end up costing us far more not to deal with this than to deal with it," Lavonas says, "both in human suffering, and in dollars and cents."

Yikes

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

So how about you make all the unprofitable anti-venom then? You'll be poor, but at least the world will be safe from the coral snake
I'm guessing you've got a job that pays for your family though, just like everyone else.. Which leaves us with no coral snake anti-venom. It's easy for someone to expect another person to just make it for free.. Doesn't work that way though.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Apparently stating that money is slavery and slavery is a crime against humanity is off topic in a discussion about a cure being discontinued for corporate gain and someone arrogantly proclaiming capitalism as somehow intrinsic, and we should all bow down to its wisdom. Materialism is not the answer. This is a prime example of how money causes scarsity, including denying cures. This is not the only way cures are denied for profit either.

Research massive doses of Vitamin C and snake bites. MMS has many testimonials too, but they can't be taken at the same time.

My response of stating that money is slavery is in direct equality to someones statement of the rightness of capitalism.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Who stated that it was right? I only stated what was true, not once did I agree with it.. I would gladly work for the benefit of my fellow man in whatever field was needed, but unfortunately I was born into this system long after it was founded. I work in a hospital, that's the best I can do while still supporting my wife and daughter.

I assume by your self-righteous attitude that you have the fall of capitalism all written down in your playbook ready to go? While in the meantime you live in some hut made from fallen branches in the middle of the forest off the grid?

As much as I and many others disagree with the system of rule we are born into, it's very difficult to escape.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Anjaba]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
[ duplicate post. sorry.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by manta78]

link   
duplicate

link   
duplicate- again?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anjaba
reply to post by xxcalbier

So how about you make all the unprofitable anti-venom then? You'll be poor, but at least the world will be safe from the coral snake
I'm guessing you've got a job that pays for your family though, just like everyone else.. Which leaves us with no coral snake anti-venom. It's easy for someone to expect another person to just make it for free.. Doesn't work that way though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey thanks for the great idea! Always like to hear entreprenurial
thoughts. Guess I am going to have to find me some coral
snakes and start milkin em.....

new topics

top topics

join