It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freed Somali pirates 'probably died' - Russian source

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
That being said, I think from now on, we capture the pirates and turn them over to the Islamic rebels in Somalia.

Because supporting Islamic rebels always works out so well!! That'll never come back to bite you in the ass.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Because it violates the law that's why. Same reason sailors can't arm themselves.

Got to love the Russian way of dealing. Usually it's unforseen heart problems their prisoners die of. Remember the the guys they caught after the school attach? Russia does not screw around with those who oppose them and their interests.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Give me a freaking break! If the US Navy did something like this, most of you would be screaming bloody murder.

Some of you need to read Maritime Law. If someone is caught in the act of piracy there is no need for a trial. Yes, these laws are ancient, but, they have never been repealed.

Does anybody know what happened when Iranians took members of the Soviet embassy hostage in 1979? I'll post it in a little while if nobody gets it posted first.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I always knew the russians were tough, but.... DAMN

I think I like their way of dealing with problems. Screw with us and you die.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I was being facetious...I was merely pointing out that the Islamic rebels currently assaulting the gov't proper in Somalia have no love for the pirate groups have had much success driving them from their bases. Breathe.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think that the term 'pirate' is doing a lot of PR for them. Time and time again they get caught and released. They are always grinning and smiling at the fact that they are above the law.

This is how it really happens. You are peacefully going about your business when two or three small boats approach you and start firing missiles. Then they board your ship and put a gun against your head. Then the demand for $10 million ransom starts.

When the russian captain was ordered to free them, I cannot imagine that anyone there would be particularly sympathetic to these criminals. They are dangerous armed robbers. The captain probably just put them on a lifeboat and that was the end of the episode. I cannot imagine that, after the dangerous battle to recapture the ship , the marines would be overly concerned about the fate these criminals.

My thoughts are with the Chandlers, the british couple captured by somali pirates. In their case the navy just watched the whole incident and did NOTHING to rescue them. See article below.

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 14-5-2010 by crowdedskies]

[edit on 14-5-2010 by crowdedskies]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67

I agree with you there as I recall the Moscow theatre hostage crisis in 2002 where the hostage takers were all buried after being sown into pig skin bags. The tactic worked in that there were no more such crimes to take place of such a nature but hatred has grown into a beast that stalks the borders of Russia with even greater ferocity.

What are you talking about? During the Moscow theater seige, Spetsnaz units gassed the building, knocking out everyone inside. They then moved in and immediately shot every terrorist where they laid in the head (they were obvious targets since they were strapped with explosives).

This is exactly why the Chechens did not make the same mistake at Beslan when they held everyone hostage with pressure-pad detonators, meaning if Spetsnaz tried the same gas trick the place would blow to pieces... which ironically happened anyway due to the terrorists' incompetence.

And "no more such crimes to take place of such a nature"? Have you watched any news about Russia in the past five years? They have to endure militants going on shooting sprees to the south, massive hostage situations/massacres, and suicide bombings in Moscow. I think that's much more surreal than the blatently fake "attacks" that occur within the US or UK during more than convenient times.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi What are you talking about? During the Moscow theater seige, Spetsnaz units gassed the building, knocking out everyone inside.

Yes I am aware of that but at the time I was also aware that on the news and in-depth conversations with so-called-experts at the time that mentioned after the siege, the terrorists were sown into pig skin bags. The orders to sow them into these bags came from the very top. I am not imagining it or making it up and I am talking about the Moscow siege not the borders and I am aware of the gassing and I am even aware of the casualty numbers also but that was not my point.

Anyway not all were gassed outright... There was a firefight as some Chechens survivors managed to avoid the gass and they managed to retreat deeper into the building and this resulting firefight then lasted for half and hour or so.

I know for a fact that at least one Chechen was taken captive because right there on TV they dragged him out front and booted him savagely to the genitals from the rear and then dragged him off - while I crossed my legs so tightly my spine creaked like a barn door.

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi They then moved in and immediately shot every terrorist where they laid in the head (they were obvious targets since they were strapped with explosives). This is exactly why the Chechens did not make the same mistake at Beslan when they held everyone hostage with pressure-pad detonators, meaning if Spetsnaz tried the same gas trick the place would blow to pieces... which ironically happened anyway due to the terrorists' incompetence.

I do not recall saying otherwise or even going into the specifics of the siege other than to mention the pork bags and we all know this. I was very very specific on the topic that I posted regarding pig skin bags.

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi And "no more such crimes to take place of such a nature"? Have you watched any news about Russia in the past five years? They have to endure militants going on shooting sprees to the south, massive hostage situations/massacres, and suicide bombings in Moscow. I think that's much more surreal than the blatently fake "attacks" that occur within the US or UK during more than convenient times.

I was being specific and unless I am greatly mistaken I do not think such events such as A MOSCOW THEATER SEIGE has taken place since that day. Sorry for the upper case but either you just haplessly bang your hands at your keyboard in patriotic indignation when you see a post you dislike or you are not reading the post your are responding to?

As to the fake attacks you mention (and I take that to mean 711 and 911) then I most certainly agree, I see them as being false flags but that is for another thread.
Look, I am not disputing the details within your post, I agree with it and I am aware of the other terrorist attacks of course but at the same time I was not focused on them either, my post was focused on the pig skin bags in relation to the Moscow theatre siege and the fact that there was never another attack of such a nature to have taken place within Moscow.

Just to clarify my own stance (though I should not have to), I was not attacking your Russia, I quite admire many things about Russia so kindly climb down off your high horse before you suffer a nose bleed and spatter me with more irrelevance.

I know about the terrorist bombings my friend; I chose not to mention them because there were no pig skin bags offered up after the fact in the obscure and mainstream news outlets so I did not mention them. I might have thought you would have assumed that rather than more conveniently assumed I was being ignorant of recent Russian history regarding terrorist acts on Russian soil and then taken that as a licence to start snapping and clawing in my direction.

Patriotism is good my friend but not when it replaces objective thought or causes armies to invade foreign lands and start blasting and killing and fighting for freedom. Patriotism is also not so good when it brings down the curtain and causes debaters to start flaming each other in forums over misconstrued words... Anyway, you were saying?

*Edited to be less confrontational*

[edit on 18-5-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
People have a short memory !!!!!!!!

The Russian's were nice to the pirate's by setting them free, first off when they stormed the ship they could have just started shooting them one by one, but they chose to capture them alive. Those of you screaming that if America did this the world would be out raged, us American's did something that was worse, they shot 3 in the head while in a liferaft and one surrendered after that. I personally support what the US Navy did, they got what they deserved ( they should have fired one more shot though). The one on trial stands to get a max of 27 years at the cost of American taxpayers ( including all the security for the trial ), he's going to go to some federal prison and treated like a king as compared to what his country has and what he had as posseson's. Just think when he gets out of federal prison he can get 40 acre's, a horse, and a mule a law that is still on the books

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
hahaha, I was attacking your post in order to gain a better understand of our current discussion through the deployment of constructive criticism, so I get your point

I was trying to lean on the side of the resiliency of the Chechens to continue brutal attacks on the Russians even after the Russians have proven themselves to be beyond brutal in the first place. It is simply cause and effect; the chechens fight because they have no choice, they become more brutal because they are adapting to the tactics of insurgency terrorism vs special operations terrorism.

And I have no doubt Russia had conducted false flag attacks, ie those apartment building bombings supposedly conducted by the Chechens in the 90s. Russia is not innocent in the least, but at least they follow through with their plans until victory or death (ie Afghanistan and the USSR).

Btw, I'm not Russian either, I am British Columbian or more specifically a global citizen since my own country barely recognizes me

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Well you certainly forced me to clarify my position and for that I feel suitably clarified so to further cease and desist war overtures and before we escalate into open warfare and air strikes for freedom (and other convenient lies) my virtual diplomat will converse with your virtual diplomat with an intent to hand over a star in the name of peace.

Well played my friend

[edit on 18-5-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So a more efficiently powerful group of murdering, thieving, pirates, kills a weaker group of scavenger pirates and you all cheer like puppets as if this is some astounding act of true justice?

I wonder when will the REALLY dangerous and corrupt Russian leaders walk the plank for its greater and far-reaching misdeeds?

I guess we should all be grateful for the small fish.

- Lee

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

If only international politics were this easy

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
So a more efficiently powerful group of murdering, thieving, pirates, kills a weaker group of scavenger pirates and you all cheer like puppets
- Lee

Actually sorry to split hairs but I was not cheering, I was stamping my foot in disgust as I take no pleasure in someone else's murder. Even if that murder is sanctioned by a bunch of decent and honourable government types who when it is certain that justice in a court of law is not a viable option for captured pirates it is always acceptable in such circumstances to make whistling noises while committing mass murder at sea.

Nope, this puppet was most definitely against this filthy act the moment I read about it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join