It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freed Somali pirates 'probably died' - Russian source

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Freed Somali pirates 'probably died' - Russian source

news.bbc.co.uk

Ten suspected Somali pirates captured by the Russian navy last week may have perished after their release, a defence source in Moscow has told reporters.

Marines seized them during a dramatic operation to free a hijacked Russian oil tanker far from shore, killing an 11th suspect in the gun battle.

They were released in an inflatable boat without navigational equipment.

Within an hour, contact was lost with the boat's radio beacon, the defence source said.

"It seems that they all died," the unnamed source was quoted as saying by Russia's Interfax news agency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/5/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
These pirates were released when the Russians realised that they were unable to prosecute them.

They set them adrift, then mysteriously "lost contact" with them about an hour later?

I'm thinking that the Russians sent a cannon shell into the raft, putting them all at the bottom of the ocean.

I bet other Somali pirates leave Russian interests in this part of the world alone from now on.

Wish other nations would have the balls to do something like this.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/5/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

I'm thinking that the Russians sent a cannon shell into the raft, putting them all at the bottom of the ocean.

I'm thinking they set them asea in a leaking inflatable raft.

No need for navigational equipment, or a shell.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Haha, gotta love the Russians.

"probably died". I wish our army would operate with this ruthlessness. Too much red tape costs our boy's lives.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Awesome. This is how it should be. I figured all the hijackers would be killed, just was wondering what the excuse would be. I don't feel the excuse was needed.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
They were placed on a raft 300 miles off the coast.

A true pirate can navigate with the sun and stars. Aaarrrrr!

I guess those so called pirates will think a second time next time they see a Russian flag on an oil tanker.

Lol, now everyone will use a Russian flag to get through that area.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Good job Russia
This is how commerce raiders and pirates should be dealt with.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I can only imagine the interview with the Russian officials:

"So, what happened with those Somali Pirates?"

"Well, we sent them on their way - and I'll be d**ned if we lost track of 'em. Probably dead"

*with a shrug of their shoulders as they end the conference*

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Martyrdumb]

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Martyrdumb]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by soultorent
Haha, gotta love the Russians.

"probably died". I wish our army would operate with this ruthlessness. Too much red tape costs our boy's lives.

Yeh, your army just targets innocent civilians and gets away with it, lets give them more freedom to commit war crimes.

I doubt they put them into a 'leaky' raft, but the fact that that is all they had, with no equipment, does point towards them being left to die in the middle of the ocean. Can't really condone it (murder and all), but the law is too weak in the area...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Great, I'm glad I'm not on a ship heading to that part of the world now that the pirates know that they might as well kill everyone on board immediately and fight to the last man and bullet rather than surrender.

The Russian military never learns. This crap never works out well for them.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I think you have completely missed the point. Why would they fight to the last man and bullet to gain a prize which if they have all died in the attack is no use to them?

No, they will attack easier targets and as mentioned ones which are not sporting a Russian flag. These are criminals not war heroes, and it is no use to them to be dead. I have yet to see evidence that their original intentions of clearing up waste dumping with the spoils of the capture have been carried out, which mean they are just simply criminals.

I would have some sympathy for they if their actions were taken for the laudable purpose of clearing the criminally dumped waste on their shores.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
three cheers for the russians
the pirates were an irritation that needed scratching
no expensive trials in court problem solved .

LETS HOPE THE GUTLESS BRITISH GOVERNMENT TAKE NOTE OF HOW ITS DONE.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

No, they will attack easier targets and as mentioned ones which are not sporting a Russian flag.

The 10 men the Russians set adrift were likely just foot soldiers, they do whatever they're ordered to. The guys giving orders and picking which ships to attack have the where-with-all to dispose of a tanker full of oil. I don't believe they're out there in a dingy attacking ships and they aren't likely to think twice about Russian flags.

EDIT: The post sounded a bit rude the other way, sorry.

[edit on 12/5/10 by pieman]

[edit on 12/5/10 by pieman]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This seems to me like someone decided to commit murder and murder should never be condoned or applauded in my opinion. This bloody act has just upped the stakes further in my view and you can be sure that someone completely unrelated to this incident (probably a naive yachtsman) will lose their life on the back of this event because someone will be feeling very aggrieved at this.

Of course I do not agree with piracy but I also do not think that murder is agreeable either

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

They had the opportunity to live. Their own incompetence is the cause of their death. If you want to be a pirate then read a map.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

The 10 men the Russians set adrift were likely just foot soldiers, they do whatever they're ordered to.

That's why I think soldiers are total retards. Yeah let's follow orders WHATEVER THEY ARE... kill unarmed civilians, run concentration camps, protect corrupt leaders... soldiers are just armed cattle nothing else.

That's what basic training is all about. Brainwashing them into following orders whatever they are.

You follow stupid orders, you get what you deserve. And the excuse ``I was following orders`` won't cut it. Same thing applies to cops.

Those pirates followed orders and went to do something stupid, well they get what they deserve.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I'm really having a hard time believing what some of you are posting. "Oooooh the pooor pirates"! The pirates would still be alive if they weren't out pirating to begin with! I applaud the russians for what they have done.
Let it be a lesson to the others.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

These pirates were released when the Russians realised that they were unable to prosecute them.

They set them adrift, then mysteriously "lost contact" with them about an hour later?

Yes if you can't prosecute them, there are other ways of dealing with them. Your guess sounds like a pretty good one. And I don't see many complaints about "lack of due process"

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by azrael36

It is not that I am making “Oooh the poor pirates” noises it is just that if the Russians could have brought these criminals to court and punished them as criminals then they should have done so.

It is not excusable in my opinion for the Russians to realise that they cannot bring them to court for legal technicality (?) reasons so then it is ok and acceptable to then put them in a dingy hundreds of miles from land and then cast them adrift.

I wonder if in denying these pirates any navigational aids if they also denied them water and food too? Did they even give these pirates a means of propulsion or was it decided on the bridge of that warship that it was going to be hand paddling for the win?

Murder is murder but it seems that on this occasion because it was sanctioned and even carried out by an official naval force that it is somehow acceptable? This looks to me like it was a mass murder that involved casting a group of men into an inflatable in water miles in depth and in a location hundreds of miles from land.

Even with a paddle that is going to be a dire situation to find oneself in.
Forget for the moment if you will that these men were pirates when caught because when they were released they were just men looking to survive a situation they were placed into not one they chose for themselves.

Are we not supposed to pretend at least to be a civilised people or is that illusion one of many others that are also heading for the sewers?

[edit on 12-5-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by azrael36
I'm really having a hard time believing what some of you are posting. "Oooooh the pooor pirates"! The pirates would still be alive if they weren't out pirating to begin with! I applaud the russians for what they have done.
Let it be a lesson to the others.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if these guys were made to, "walk the plank," on the way to the inflatable raft.

They chose for this type of treatment upon deciding to become pirates!

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join