It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone guess if Cameron will go through a private ceremony to be PM?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So do you guys think David Cameron will go through a private ceremony now he is pm.

Any guesses on what that may be?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
On the news earlier, they were talking about him kissing the Queens hand in some ceremony. There was a bit of an argument about whether or not that still happens, but some people said it does.

What kind of private ceremony did you have in mind? Something more macabre maybe?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
it was confirmed that it doesn't happen anymore but former deputy pm said it was done in the 70s

[edit on 11-5-2010 by listerofsmeg]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
it was confirmed that it doesn't happen anymore but former deputy pm said it was done in the 70s

Which almost certainly means Tony Blair made a point of abolishing it. Typical.
And, strictly speaking, Brown should have told the Queen about his resignation before he told anybody else.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
You know, i think he sponged part of his speech from the infamous JFK.
"ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

Camerons speech was: "Where people do not just ask "What are my entitlements, but what are my responcibilities." One were we dont just ask "what am i owed" but also, "what can i give"

Hmm, very similar. Perhaps someone will shoot him.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

first he would tell his cabinet, or his cabinet tell him, the queen was almost definatly informed before we were.
do you think she was just casually getting ready for holby city and eastenders when her day was interupted.
this day has been days in the making.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Yes, OK, there would have been a telephone call. I know that.
It's just that I'm old-fashioned enough to think that the face-to-face meeting is the one that counts.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
i see your point.
i thought that brown had talked face to face with the queen though over the last few days but i'm not sure.

man i hope cameron was the best choice.
i'm always undicided when it somes to elections, well this is the first i've been old enough to vote.
anything would be better than labour but thats only the general thought because labour was in charge during our crappy decade.
lib dems were the only ones that mentioned anything about science and developement funding increases and now it's too late.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i see your point.
i thought that brown had talked face to face with the queen though over the last few days but i'm not sure.

man i hope cameron was the best choice.
i'm always undicided when it somes to elections, well this is the first i've been old enough to vote.
anything would be better than labour but thats only the general thought because labour was in charge during our crappy decade.
lib dems were the only ones that mentioned anything about science and developement funding increases and now it's too late.

I don't like Conservatives, even more than I dislike Labour, but the way I'm looking at it, is that they got the most votes by numbers, and also the most constituency wins, so if we want to be democratic, I think it's only fair that they get the most say for the next 4/5 years. I didn't like the idea of a lib/lab/etc coalition, even though my personal politics would prefer it, it just seemed undemocratic in a way.

I'm pretty much hoping that the Lib Dems can use their position to force through at least a few sensible things, and also stop the Conservatives doing anything too wacky.

On the subject of science funding, I recall something interesting said by Neil deGrasse Tyson, a well known scientist who was called up to serve on panels in the USA. He felt that a lot of the talk of right-wingers being anti-science was overblown. His argument was that right wingers believe in one thing the most - Money - and they understand that being advanced in science is a good way to make money. They don't want to end up poor.

So I'm hoping the right-wingers in the UK will feel the same way. Maybe they will cut back some areas, like stem-cell due to their beliefs, but they will never destroy science funding totally, or even cut it back too harshly. As crazy as those right wingers are, something they believe in, is "WE ARE THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!" type stuff, and that has to include being the best in some scientific fields.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
So do you guys think David Cameron will go through a private ceremony now he is pm.

Any guesses on what that may be?

What, do you mean like sacrificing a goat or something? I doubt it.

He probably just went home and had a cup of tea and some Ritz crackers. He probably watched Eastenders too, we all know how he loves common people.

new topics

top topics

join