It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Robert jonson give his soul to the devil to start rock n roll. 2

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I was trying to get into this last night but I was drunk and was not able to post the links.

Here are the links.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

(And no I do not think heroin is OK to use.)

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Theone2000]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Theone2000

Yes.

That is what he said anyway, so why not believe him?

He was a helluva guitar player! Other artists have mentioned him in their songs every since. He was featured in "O brother where art though." He is a pop culture legend, and there are a million cliches related to his experience!

I don't know what kind of answer you were seeking? Philosophical? Pop Culture? Factual? I assume you will get a little of all of those, but without Robert Johnson or the Devil to testify, you probably won't get a satisfactory explanation.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
He didn't "give" his soul to the devil, he sold it.

wiki link

This legend was around in the Delta long before Robert Johnson made it famous.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by indianajoe77
He didn't "give" his soul to the devil, he sold it.

wiki link

This legend was around in the Delta long before Robert Johnson made it famous.

Just not worth it if its true!

What do you think, real or not?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Honestly, I wouldn't doubt he tried doing it.
Can't say if Satan answered him or he just got lucky, I couldn't say.

BUT

How would one go about doing this?

(typos)

[edit on 5/11/2010 by Alexander the Great]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I'm not too fussed - he was an amazing guitar player, worth it.

Oh, sorry man, but it's already been discussed a few times:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

That is such rock "n" roll thing to say
It goes so well with the whole R'n'R thing

I suppose that's why he said it, or to pre empt the whole "this must be the work of Satan" hysteria he was expecting from the starched shirts.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

To answer your question, NO,

Robert Johnson is famous for being a blues, guitar player.

Since you're so into youtube, check out the song "Crossroads," by Cream.

The song is about Robert Johsnon, and the dilema he faced while standing at a crossroad.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

I'm not too fussed - he was an amazing guitar player, worth it.

Oh, sorry man, but it's already been discussed a few times:

Ahh Well I'm not that original them am I? hehe
Next time I will do a search for other posting on on the same subject before I post.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

The song is about Robert Johsnon, and the dilema he faced while standing at a crossroad.

Very good song!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

OP,
I dont mean any offence to any1, but it is my understanding that to be very rich and famous, you have to have a pact with the devil.
Remember God's rule will come, its not here yet.

Cheers

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The only thing that's original is sin!

It's still an interesting subject and he's possibly the best (blues) guitarist ever. There's a really cool double cd called the Complete Recordings...

Not sure if I can post the Amazon link, but it's here - MODS please remove if this is naughty!

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1273604636&sr=8-1

P.S. It's cheap too.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I don't believe that he sold his soul, but I'm sure it was an interesting tale that helped to further establish some mystique to his name.

I think he was simply a talented man.

You know its funny, but this reminds me of the thing Pat Robertson said about Haiti and the curse they were recently punished for when they asked the devil to free them from slavery of all things.

It doesn't make sense to me that God would punish the slaves while blessing the slave masters with prosperity unless he agreed with their ideals and methods. To me, if God left us all to be under the perpetual thumb of "the powers that be", and the only way to gain literal freedom, or even a modicum of prosperity we have to turn to the Devil, what does that say about God?

Either the Devil really does care about man and we've been lied to, or God is siding with the corrupt overseers of Earth and not with the so called meek. Or maybe God does side with the meek and we are all the chosen ones enduring various forms of punishment all across the globe while the actually cursed wealthy religious leaders, politicians, and royalty have us mesmerized to look to them for answers in a cult of personality.

The alleged power the devil grants is fleeting, but it is nothing compared to the alleged blessings of God that have allowed these corrupt elites to maintain control over all of us through the generations. I mean shouldn't the Catholic Church be punished right about now and have to work off a major disaster of their own, or do they just stay rich and powerful with well-kissed golden rings?

Just doesn't make sense to me to even consider these curses or soul-selling tales unless you reevaluate a more disturbing methodology of our savior Gods.

- Lee

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The whole Faust thing with the deals with the devil are an age old theme. He may have thought about it. Actually do it? I doubt it myself since I don't think it's possible.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
I don't believe that he sold his soul, but I'm sure it was an interesting tale that helped to further establish some mystique to his name.

I think he was simply a talented man.

You know its funny, but this reminds me of the thing Pat Robertson said about Haiti and the curse they were recently punished for when they asked the devil to free them from slavery of all things.

It doesn't make sense to me that God would punish the slaves while blessing the slave masters with prosperity unless he agreed with their ideals and methods. To me, if God left us all to be under the perpetual thumb of "the powers that be", and the only way to gain literal freedom, or even a modicum of prosperity we have to turn to the Devil, what does that say about God?

Either the Devil really does care about man and we've been lied to, or God is siding with the corrupt overseers of Earth and not with the so called meek. Or maybe God does side with the meek and we are all the chosen ones enduring various forms of punishment all across the globe while the actually cursed wealthy religious leaders, politicians, and royalty have us mesmerized to look to them for answers in a cult of personality.

The alleged power the devil grants is fleeting, but it is nothing compared to the alleged blessings of God that have allowed these corrupt elites to maintain control over all of us through the generations. I mean shouldn't the Catholic Church be punished right about now and have to work off a major disaster of their own, or do they just stay rich and powerful with well-kissed golden rings?

Just doesn't make sense to me to even consider these curses or soul-selling tales unless you reevaluate a more disturbing methodology of our savior Gods.

- Lee

Nicely said!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
The whole Faust thing with the deals with the devil are an age old theme. He may have thought about it. Actually do it? I doubt it myself since I don't think it's possible.

Its a trick. Satan is a liar! If you let him, he will steal your soul and give you nothing. It's kinda funny how so many have gave their soul to the devil for fame but got nothing. So this kinda disproves the whole sold their soul to the devil for fame. There would be many more famous people if it were true.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Er, uhh...Robert Johnson wrote the song as "Crossroads Blues" as done by Cream and many others. But still doesnt make it a true story. Cool legend tho !

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by scooterstrats
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Er, uhh...Robert Johnson wrote the song as "Crossroads Blues" as done by Cream and many others. But still doesnt make it a true story. Cool legend tho !

Yea I find it a VERY fascinating legend. I also find it strange how all the SUPER famous people who had any impact on generations and music died at 27, starting with the inventor of rock n roll, Robert Johnson. Just strange.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Hey man, whilst I like this thread - I've got to disagree with a couple of things.

Firstly, I don't believe in the Devil, nor god - so I don't think Robert Johnson or anyone for that matter has actually sold their soul to the devil, although some may have gone to lengths to perform rituals, ceremonies etc to try it. As an aside though, I'm sure Justin Bieber is the spawn of Satan.

Secondly, I'm gonna be lazy and use wikipedia for this and I think we can all agree a degree of accuracy with it in this case.

Originally posted by Theone2000
I also find it strange how all the SUPER famous people who had any impact on generations and music died at 27, starting with the inventor of rock n roll, Robert Johnson. Just strange.

Elvis Aaron Presley - died age 42
John Lennon - died age 40, the rest of the Beatles all passed 27
Michael Jackson - died (allegedly
) aged 50
Jimi Hendrix - did die age of 27
Jim Morrison - also died age of 27
Phil "Naughty" Spector - still going
Little Richard - still going
Johnny Cash - 71 RIP
Janis Joplin - died aged 27
Kurt Cobain - murdered age 27!

There's arguably a few people that died age 27 that did greatly impact music and pop culture, but there's a slew of those that didn't, most of the Rolling Stones are still going.

Here's an interesting(ish) link on the "27 club"...

Lazy Research

Edit: Tidied it up a bit.

[edit on 12/5/1010 by jokei]

[edit on 12/5/1010 by jokei]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

LOL everyone here talking about robert johnson and i bet half havent even heard his music or would even like it. Robert johnson was the one who wrote crossroad blues not cream. they redid it. The original wasnt about selling his soul but rather about him trying to hitchhike. As the lyric goes he was trying to flag a ride. Robert johnson had a very rough sound and what some would call harsh. Its not mainstream blues like pop culture has brought to films and musicians like cream, the yardbirds, zeppelin,hendrix and the stones, etc etc. These groups and musicians were very influenced by robert johnson and as such his music had a defining inlfuence on rock and roll. Truth be told he wasnt that famous for his day and age and didnt live to be but 27. He had very little impact on black music and delta blues at the time. Most people didnt even know who he was. It was his later influence in the rock and roll genre that has catapulted him to fame as a legendary blues musician.

I have all of robert johnsons recordings and i listen to them from time to time. They certainly wasnt what i was expecting to be sure.

The story about him selling his soul is dubious. Most think it was started by him. Son House claimed he couldnt play worth a damn and robert would try to copy his songs and style to little efrfect and after being gone for sometime, some think around 2 years, came back and had a masters talent. This gave rise to the legend that he sold his soul.

Oh and to all those who say he started rock and roll this is very false. Robert johnson was a delta blues musician. Not a rock star. His influence on rock and roll didnt occur till much later into the rock and roll era.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by fizzy1]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join