It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soul selling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Is it possible to sell your soul to the devil in exchange for a gift/talent or sell it to someone for money or sell it to the spirit of jazz as in the mighty boosh episode what does everyone here think?

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
My personal opinion? No...first, you'd have to believe with all your hear an actual being named/called the devil exists....meaning you'd have to be of the Christian faith........I personally find this non sense. I do believe that like draws like...if you are a negative/bad/ person......and that's the type of energy you put out, that's what you have around you all the time.....you are therefore going to draw that same type of energy back in all the time....if you are trying to do something like that, that's pretty negative, as the persona/belief of the devil is one of negativity, so I would assume the person would have a lot of negative things happen to them.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I agree with LadyV that in order to do it literally you would have to believe in the actual devil and believe in an actual soul and all that. However, I think that you can, in effect, sell your metaphorical soul to a metaphorical devil. In other words, instead of sacrificing your time/hard work/money/etc. for a good reason, you sacrifice it for a bad reason like to hurt somebody or something. I think the term "sold his soul to the devil" was originally used to say something to the effect of, "he did something so bad that he's sure to go to Hell, now." Then, people took the saying literally, perhaps as a joke in a cartoon or something, and it eventually spread like wildfire. I'm sure people have tried to sell their souls to the Satan they believed in or whatever, and that's probably something that might work because you believe it will work. And the fact that you did an "evil" thing means that if there is ever an actual Judgement, you'll be judged accordingly.

I once read a kid's journal where he kind of sold his soul to the devil, and he started doing really well at sports or something, better than anyone else, but then bad things started happening and whatever. It was a scary journal to read, and I can only hope that it was just a bunch of exaggerated events.

[edit on 15/12/04 by an3rkist]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
From a Christian Stand point, No.
The Bible says we are born into sin, so are soul would already belong to Satan.How can we sell him something that we already owns?

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
dont know about selling it to santan but now a days you can sell anything on ebay

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Didnt Bob Dylan claim he got his talent from " the master of this world and the unseen world" in a recent interview for 60 minutes.

I missed the show but the promo was weird with that part of the interview. Did anyone see the interview?

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Wasn't the original story of Dr Faustus (by Christopher Marlow) who sold his soul to the devil?

About 10 years after that story was published it was claimed that Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil for the blues...

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Selling your soul is not a good move.

Unless hell is what you want.

But then as God would say, you will learn. That is what life is all about!

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I wonder how exactly one would go about selling his soul. It would be interesting if someone tried it and found it didn't work. Do you just say "SATAN TAKE ME! Just make me a famous star in this world!"

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It doesn't matter. If one is willing to sell one's soul, one has already pretty much lost it.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Didnt Bob Dylan claim he got his talent from " the master of this world and the unseen world" in a recent interview for 60 minutes.

I missed the show but the promo was weird with that part of the interview. Did anyone see the interview?

I did'nt see the interview but that reminds me of what I've read about Robert Johnson, a legendary blues singer who was said to have
went to the crossroads at midnight and sold his soul to the devil
in return for fame and fortune. One of the songs he wrote was "Crossroads Blues". He died a few years later when
he was messing around with someone else's girlfriend. His bottle
of liquor was poisoned and he died a painful death.

I think I read somewhere that Stevie Ray Vaughn had just played
Robert Johnson's "Crossroads Blues" as part of his set right before
he was killed in a helicopter (or was it plane?) crash.

Eric Clapton redid "Crossroads Blues". His small son fell to his
death from the window of a tall building.

Lynard Skynard also did a cover of "Crossroads Blues". And we
know what happened to them.

Makes you wonder about curses and what happens if you believe
you've sold your soul to the devil does'nt it?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
But what exactly is your "soul"? Why shouldn't you be willing to lose it? I have no attachment to a soul of any kind....

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Weren't people trying to sell their souls on E-Bay a while back???

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i was thinking of selling my on ebay lol

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Interesting story elaine I think I remember about the Blue singer didnt really know about the connection with the song.

I found alittle more about the Dylan interview I talked about. Here are his exact words when asked why he is still out there.

So why is he still out there?

"It goes back to that destiny thing. I mean, I made a bargain with it, you know, long time ago. And I'm holding up my end � to get where I am now," says Dylan.

And with whom did he make the bargain? "With the chief commander," says Dylan, laughing. "In this earth and in the world we can't see."

Im pretty sure in the interview promo they asked him oh you mean god after he said this and he just laughed.

A little shady IMO This was also his first interview in 19 yrs

cbsnewyork.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Apparently, Faust was a real person who inspired both Faust by Goethe and The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus by Marlowe. It might have also been John Dee, a known alchemist of the time.

From that, we are given the expression of a 'Faustian bargain', eg. a deal with too high a price, usually with disatrous consequence upon the buyer.

en.wikipedia.org...

DE

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by random hippie 9
Is it possible to sell your soul to the devil in exchange for a gift/talent...

This is an offer he would be willing to accept.
Don't do it.

Originally posted by random hippie 9
...or sell it to someone for money or sell it to the spirit of jazz as in the mighty boosh episode what does everyone here think?

I won't expect anything from this other than assurance that your soul would not be accepted by God without heavy repentence.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

I did'nt see the interview but that reminds me of what I've read about Robert Johnson, a legendary blues singer who was said to have
went to the crossroads at midnight and sold his soul to the devil
in return for fame and fortune. One of the songs he wrote was "Crossroads Blues". He died a few years later when
he was messing around with someone else's girlfriend. His bottle
of liquor was poisoned and he died a painful death.

I think I read somewhere that Stevie Ray Vaughn had just played
Robert Johnson's "Crossroads Blues" as part of his set right before
he was killed in a helicopter (or was it plane?) crash.

Eric Clapton redid "Crossroads Blues". His small son fell to his
death from the window of a tall building.

Lynard Skynard also did a cover of "Crossroads Blues". And we
know what happened to them.

Makes you wonder about curses and what happens if you believe
you've sold your soul to the devil does'nt it?

Remind me never to sing that song!

I would argue that you CAN sell your soul and people do it every day without even knowing it.

You sell your soul whenever you fall in love with anything more that God.

A story in the Bible of a young rich man. He asked Jesus how to get into heaven. Jesus told him to give everything he had away and follow him. The rich guy couldnt do it. Christ then said it is harder for a rich man to enter into heaven than a camel to go through an eye of a needle.

This means that :
1. The Rich man did have a soul but it was attached to his material possessions.
2. He was not willing to trade his possession for salvation.

Moral of the story, he had sold his soul for things rather than a relationship with Christ / God

That's an answer only if you believe in the Bible of course

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Hay I was joking about selling your soal on Ebay .I dont think santan has a account there
Ps I could be wrong though.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Why would you want to sell your soul anyways? Have something good for a few years and then spend eternity in hell or not and have a chance that you might make it into heaven?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join