It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Raza Unida - insight from one of 'la raza'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

My apologies... I didn't mean to ignore your post. Would you mind restating the question, please?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

My challenge is to your claim that it is not used much anymore, to which I say it still figures as a stake in a person's social standing amongst Mexican-Americans here. We still have to those claim to be of Spaniard blood amongst us, who somehow feel superior for having a 'pure' bloodline.

In Mestizo scholastic discourse, there is a thread of discussion stemming from in inherent self-devaluation amongst mestizos that can be directly attributed to a concept called 'los hijos de la chingada" which POLITELY (ahem) translates to "children of the rape" (you can substitute an f-bomb in for rape for the more direct translation) that stems from the original mestizo children being second-class to their 'pureborn' cousins in both the Native and Spanish cultures.

So, yes, in short. It is still used here in many of the border states.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I submit that there is no inherent valuation between philosophy and the actions of the person who stated the philosophy. Plenty have killed in teh name of an overriding vision - history picks and chooses who ends up revered and who is demonized.

Guevara's hardline philosophy was engendered specifically in response to the atrocities he saw in the Latin countries. His was a specific response meant to unify and present a strong Latin presence. United Fruit was a main shaper of this - to a tee it resembled what Marx was claiming was the bad guy - the unbridled capitalism victimizing a marginalized worker.

Castro is the same - he came from a wealthy family, married into a richer family, then decided to rebel against the system that let his family be rich. I see more artists in Cuba than almost anywhere else, and barbers get a state salary, and they still make the best cigar on earth.

Chavez has shown increases in literacy, healthcare, and reduced poverty in Venezuela.

Perspective is everything.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join