It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

athiests! why christianity?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Whatever buddy, believe what you want.

2nd line.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by the illuminator

It just seems that way because there's more Christians on this board than members of other religions.

If it makes you feel any better, I believe all the religions are wrong...and certainly all churches are based upon conserving their own power, rather than the religion itself.

I'm not an atheist though...I don't KNOW if there's a God, and I don't claim to know (unlike religious ppl)...mostly because none of us CAN know if there's a God, since NO ONE has any PROOF.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Titen-Sxull

I don't have to preface it with that, if I typed it and I posted it its probably opinion. Especially in a forum like this which is mainly about batting religious ideas and conspiracies around, actual "evidence" is few and far between here and the professional debunkers and skeptics that frequent other forums are typically absent.

So yeah its my opinion and you have the right to disagree and please do. By no means am I an expert or trying to state my opinion as undisputed fact.

OK, a blanket statement covers the lot. As long as it's said once in a while.

On atheist agnosticism, I'm OK with whatever people want to call themselves. But when you describe your beliefs, they seem to be simply agnostic to me.

I don't think God is necessary for anything (which, pace wikipedia, would imply that God exists, if the "anything" is true). Nor if there turns out to be some ultimate "ordering principle," do I think that it would necessarily be a person. Other views have certainly been proposed about that in other religions.

But what somebody else calls themselves really isn't any of my business. So long as the favor is returned. And my religion is agnostic, say no more.

Peace.

Kapyong

It says quite clearly you have to HATE your parents, and family.

Really? So, you dispute that Luke 14:26-27 restates Matthew 10:37-39, with Luke using a known idiom or figure to express the comparative degree which Matthew expresses directly.

And you think Christians tie themselves in knots over this?

Have you ever thought of springing for a Bible with footnotes? You know, explanations from the folks who translated the text? Many people, not just Christians, find footnoted editions to be a useful alternative to making silly claims about what Jesus supposedly said. Clearly said. In English.

You do know that what you quoted was translated, right? Sure you do. You were just making a point, seeing if everybody was paying attention.

You little trickster, you had me going there.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kapyong
Gday,

Originally posted by the illuminator

....sorry a what? an agnostic athiest??? ive herd it all.
they contradict eachother. so you are an agnostic. not an athiest

Why do you keep spelling "atheist" WRONGLY ?

So many of you here can't even SPELL the word!
When it's used dozens of times in this very thread.
Are you blind ?!

K.

people only complain about grammar in a thread when they cant think of something to put into the "TOPIC"

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I just have one question.
why do athiest's seem to always try and disproof christianity?

what about all the other religions?

why pick on the christians?

That's sort of a juvenile question, isn't it? It's sort of like asking why the well-built football star in highschool/college got/gets all the hot girls or why a wealthy man has so much power; they, for some reason or another, can and do. Plus, let's not mince words here; atheists need religions in order to support their own existence and beliefs, which is what I find most hilarious. Those are just my own two cents; see you everyone. Peace and God bless!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheM0nk
Plus, let's not mince words here; atheists need religions in order to support their own existence and beliefs, which is what I find most hilarious. Those are just my own two cents; see you everyone. Peace and God bless!

Maybe it is because of the pseudo-intellectual BS that Christians so arrogantly parrot such as this? Not only do Atheists NOT need religion for ANYTHING, we would be very very happy if all religions just went away.

What Christians do is project. Christians need atheists, agnostics, and other religions for themselves to justify their existance. Most religions are perfectly happy to just worship, live right, and be. Christians do not seem to know how to do that. They tell us they have a duty to convert the rest of us and go out of their way to remind us. Without us, what would they do?

No Atheism does not need religion, sorry.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

How about actually posting the answer, instead of spewing a bunch of nonsense about how my question is supposedly childish? As opposed to people who believe in a being that has no valid evidence behind it's existence, and then insult those who question it's existence, mainly due to them not being capable of giving a clear answer. Besides, you probably can't give a clear answer as to why it's childish either. Listen, it's great you believe in god and all, as long as you realize, it's just a belief, and that there's 1000s of other gods out there. And that these gods have about as much evidence supporting their case as the tooth fairy, bigfoot, santa claus, repitilians, hollow earth, hollow moon, people who think no planes hit on 9/11, people who are against gay marriage, birthers, and so on.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Without us, what would they do?

Easy! They would fight amongst themselves over interpretations... Oh wait, they already do.

How many denominations are there claiming to be the closest to God again?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I was still wondering if any atheists can point me to the bash other religions threads they've posted. I want to read about the things you have to say about Muhammed and Allah. Or is it that it's just safe to bash Christians ? I mean, if you rally believe you're going to the worms and the dirt when you die, what's to fear by bashing Islam or some other religion that is prone to find you and kill you for it, right ? Thanks for the input.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I just have one question.
why do athiest's seem to always try and disproof christianity?

what about all the other religions?

why pick on the christians?

For myself, Christianity is just familiar because I can witness the hypocrisy of many who claim the moniker first hand.

I can see the other two Abrahamic religions bastardized from afar.

By the by, one cannot disprove anything that is yet to be proven.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

I was still wondering if any atheists can point me to the bash other religions threads they've posted. I want to read about the things you have to say about Muhammed and Allah. Or is it that it's just safe to bash Christians ? I mean, if you rally believe you're going to the worms and the dirt when you die, what's to fear by bashing Islam or some other religion that is prone to find you and kill you for it, right ? Thanks for the input.

Technically, Jews, Christians, Catholics, Muslims all believe in the same God... You just all have differing viewpoints about this one God, his laws and his teachings. Christians went a step further by inventing a Messiah based off of other mythological Messiahs from surrounding religions, we just can't simply dismiss and ignore the many parallels with other Messianic persons.

Then us Atheists have to deal with the lot of you fighting amongst yourselves and bringing non-believers into the battle over who's version of naked sky daddy is more correct. Well, if your wondering who is closest to being correct, then let's look at the one's who started the whole mess... The Jews, which in so much to say, Jesus was not the Messiah and is just an invented false prophet in the eyes of the Jewish version of God. In which case all Christians are bound to magical hell, which technically doesn't exist according to the Jews and was nothing more than a Christian invention based off a Jerusalem landfill.

It would be more easy to bash another religion if other existing religions not based off monotheistic violence were violent in themselves. Unfortunately, most these other religions all teach AND practice actual love and peace, can't say much for hypocritical monotheism. I mean, not even your guy's God practices what he preaches. Yea, yea, I know... The dud works in mysterious ways and we're too simple to understand why the guy is a major prick with a stick eternally up his ass.

How should I go about bashing a non-hypocritical peaceful religion who shows no violence, deceit or forceful conversion tactics since it's inception? If you can tell me how to do so, then I will be more than happy to commence with the bashing.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Would you care to point me to the peaceful aspects of Islam ? When Hindus attack and kill Christians, could you elaborate on how this is peace and love. Then again, I guess you're saying that if you attack a Christian for his belief in God, that you really are saying you're bashing the Islamic religion too ? Is that what you mean to say so I can understand ? You would never actually go toe to toe with a muslim though right ? Not straight out, you would rather slant them by association to Christians.

Anyway, any of you other self assured atheists want to chime in and point me to that one thread where you take on Allah and his prophet Muhammed ?

Just wondering....

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Fromabove]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

Anyway, any of you other self assured atheists want to chime in and point me to that one thread where you take on Allah and his prophet Muhammed ?

Just wondering....

Yup, you can find them all right next to, just before, or immediately after any of the threads started by some crazy muslim about how another piece of wood was found on a mountain or the ones about how homosexuality is a choice, sin, whatever, or maybe if you look where all the muslim threads about the end of the world being upon us. Check there. I know there are plenty of christian threads like that and it seems the atheist threads are usually a response so if you are looking for other atheist responses, look for the religious nutjob starting another pointless thread in promotion of their religion.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Would you care to point me to the peaceful aspects of Islam ?

Islam is just as peaceful as Christianity and both teach the same message. Both religions have their own extremists that twist choice verses to justify violent acts.

When Hindus attack and kill Christians, could you elaborate on ho this is peace and love.

I've never heard of a violent Hindu or of violent acts condoned by the Hindu faith.

Then again, I guess you're saying that if you attack a Christian for his belief in God, that you really are saying you're bashing the Islamic religion too ? Is that what you mean to say so I can understand ?

The majority of monotheistic on this forum are of the Christian variety, so these are the one's we see bitching about being bashed the most as they are the one's who post the most. If any other monotheistic sect were to post here, I would readily attack their belief in a deity as well as the hypocritical nature of that deity and it's adherents.

Point is, why would I post to a group of people who don't frequent this forum as much and who worship the same made up deity as the group who frequents often?

It's the same deity, you folks just can't agree on various attributes of him.

You would never actually go toe to toe with a muslim though right ? Not straight out, you would rather slant them by association to Christians.

I would go toe to toe with a Muslim or any religious person who post's here.

This is sort of akin to a minority of proponents for the electric universe theory bitching about how all the big bangers are picking on them and not on the few multi-universe guys on a forum dominated by big bangers.

It's just silly and ill thought out logic. No, of course I don't pick on a group of people who haven't posted here. I see nothing but hypocritical Christians and so I post to hypocritical Christians.

Point us to a thread and I'm sure we'll be more than happy to bash the same exact God you both worship differently.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Plus, let's not mince words here; atheists need religions in order to support their own existence and beliefs, which is what I find most hilarious. Those are just my own two cents; see you everyone. Peace and God bless!

Maybe it is because of the pseudo-intellectual BS that Christians so arrogantly parrot such as this? Not only do Atheists NOT need religion for ANYTHING, we would be very very happy if all religions just went away.

What Christians do is project. Christians need atheists, agnostics, and other religions for themselves to justify their existance. Most religions are perfectly happy to just worship, live right, and be. Christians do not seem to know how to do that. They tell us they have a duty to convert the rest of us and go out of their way to remind us. Without us, what would they do?

No Atheism does not need religion, sorry.

Says the good sheep of another shepard. LMFAO. It's absolutely mind-boggling how moronic people are, especially those who place so much emphasis on rationality and common-sense in justifying their lunacy. I leave this conversation with the following quote, which I hope you all will enjoy: “Do not think you will necessarily be aware of your own enlightenment.” ~Dogen

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ok, if you read my last posts you will see how I asked if attacks on religions other than Christianity are implied and not directly addressed, you will see the response I got and so I guess I was right after all. There are a lot of Muslims that frequent this site. I know this because of their fascination with science and the world at large. So, since the atheists can't point me to any thread where they start a rant on Islam, Allah, or Muhammed, let me ask some of you out there of the Islamic faith if you have been the uninvited focus of the scrutiny of the atheists, and if so, could you please point me to your threads, or theirs that tell the facts. I'm just not getting any answers from them since they want to tag all religions as if they were all Christians which they are not.

Thankyou.

I've never seen a " Muhammed was not a prophet" thread from an atheist. I doubt they would have the courage to slam you, bash you, or criticize you, or whatever, IMHO.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

In most of my responses to religious threads, I point out that it doesn't matter which religion you're talking about...none of them has proof of anything (existence of God, creation of humanity, etc.), NADA, zip, nothing whatsoever.

So you can rest assured, I am not favoring other religions, you are just as WRONG and misguided as the rest of them

Feel better now?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

To be honest, I've actually defended the Islamic faith from the ignorance of not just Christians, but fellow Atheists who think the Islamic faith is one filled with violence and terrorism. Threads such as those I defend purely for sake of accuracy, but I've never seen a thread stating that Islam is the only correct religion, or Muslims trying to debunk evolution or Muslims professing their love for Intelligent Design, AKA: God of the Gaps Theory.

If a Muslim reading this can please kindly attack science or Atheism in the same manner that Christians on this board continuously do, then I think the Christians would very much appreciate your efforts in given us non-believers another religious sect to bash.

What exactly are you looking for? All monotheistic religions worship THE SAME GOD. When one attacks the validity of God, one is also attacking the validity of Allah, YHWH or whatever other name you guy's can make up for him. It's the same deity worshiped amongst a large base of believers who can't make up their minds over who this guy is, what he teaches and how he wants you to live your life or how to worship him.

Again to repeat this insanely simple concept here...

There are not many Muslim threads that I have personally seen beyond disinfo threads trying to spread hate against Muslims by painting the faith as something it's not. I will defend for accuracy sake any religion as it's the right thing to do, but I will attack the validity of it's deities for lack of proof and in house fighting of the various sects/denominations.

The problem with your lot, the Christians, is that your the ones who constantly attack the sciences with very little to next to no knowledge of what your on about. Yet you hypocritical whine when we attack back for lack of evidence on your supposed "truths". I'm thinking perhaps your religion and it's adherents need to get rid of that binky and grow up.

Hey, at least we can thank the Muslims for an insane amount of scientific knowledge.

All I can thank the Christians for is an insane amount of bloodshed. Hypocrites.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Says the good sheep of another shepard.

Who might that other shepard be? Thanks for noticing I am good and all but I am no sheep. I would love to hear who my shepard is.

LMFAO. It's absolutely mind-boggling how moronic people are, especially those who place so much emphasis on rationality and common-sense in justifying their lunacy.

Ahh, good. More of those "Christian" words of love and peace I was hoping for.

I leave this conversation with the following quote, which I hope you all will enjoy: “Do not think you will necessarily be aware of your own enlightenment.” ~Dogen

Let me see if I am following.

You could not back up your eroneous claim that Atheist need religion.

You could not refute my claim the Christians are an arrogant loud mouthed lot that need Atheists.

So you call me a moron?

Do you not see the HUGE amount of hypocrisy there? In the name of your lord, you have born false witness, cowered away from a challenge to your god, and resorted to a personal attack in lieu of any real response. Where do I sign up for your brand of Christianity?

[edit on 11-5-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheM0nk

Mhhh, yeah...because rationality and logic is definitely the wrong approach to looking at life. A much better way is to make up stories that aren't based on fact, and then follow whatever interpretations people came up with when they wrote their scriptures.

Did you know that according to you, we could say 2+2=59? Yeah, # logic and rationality, let's make things up and live according to that...

And your statement that atheists NEED religion to justify their own existence is laughable. The whole point of not believing in a religion is that you are HUMBLE enough to admit you DON'T KNOW what you CAN'T KNOW. Religious folk don't have that humility. At least scientists label their theories as THEORIES...while religious people claim their whole belief as a fact. Newsflash, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY PROOF!

You are exactly the reason why the OP believes only Christians get bashed. No other religion so prominently spews their "we are right, everyone else is wrong". The atheists on this board merely highlight that you can't prove your statements, and that you should maybe label it as the THEORY of CHRISTIANITY or the THEORY of ISLAM.

In the end, who cares? If it makes you happy, by all means, believe...but don't for a second try to force your beliefs upon others. If you vote in favor of a ban of microchips because they are the "mark of the devil" (LOOOOOOL), then you Sir, are an idiot. And you are hurting the people because those chips would potentially be very beneficial for some people. So believe if you want/must, but stop attacking science when your belief is based on FAIRY TALES!! At least scientists experiment and try to figure things out. Religion claims to have all the answers, when in reality, it's all made up...a house of cards based on wish belief and superstition.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join