It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Simple Method to Clean Up the Oil Spill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Hmmm. Maybe there going to let the oil destroy mexico?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
One additional source of hay that is readily available is along
many of our highways in this country. I am always amazed to see highway departments cutting this and letting it just blow away eventually when it could be put to good use. I heard that just a few states do this and actually make money with the operation and
resale. Or if the states don't want to do this, private parties could do so under contract wtih the state.

Yes the " road debris" has to be removed first but there are thousands of prisoners in each state who could be utilized for that
purpose.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndersonLee
The oil and its problems . A ocean with fish and oil

The Oil size is the size of a city . I think the only way to soak up the Oil would be to bring some sort of vacuum like object to suck all the oil out . Then after all the Oil is out of the water above 2000 foot . There should be tubes in the hole that sucks the oil all the way to a storage tank that will then be there to send oil other locations . The tubes would be about 55 000 foot long . Its 5000 foot of water and the tubes would need to go all the way inland so that would bring it around 55 000 foot to 120 000 foot to storage. But this idea would never work . I think it would cost over a trillion dollars. And I have no idea how they would make tubes to suck the oil out and push up inland and cleaning the ocean would take a lot of longer work .

[edit on 8-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

naw we just need a Humongous ! Nuclear Powered Fish Tank Pump/Filter! with a mile long filter pipe !

just get an decommissioned Power plant Put it on a huge barge and there you go ! get that baby started and pump the OIL up the filter

Could it done Sure it can !

then when the Gulf is all cleaned up it can be reused for the next BP Disaster

or just get the Secret Deep Underground Tunnel Machines that made those D.U.M.B.S to relive the Pressure ! from Land to the Ocean of Course
Problem is a 2 Wildlife refuge's are in the way

I drink you Milkshake (there will be blood)

as this Machine can go further more than 2 to 3 miles down melting rock and smoothing the walls with the melted rock

seeing they already have this Nuclear Tunnel making machine and can use it and same some time and expense

Tunnel Bore Machine Source..

www.stevequayle.com...
www.subversiveelement.com...

I love Conjecture...

well didn't some of Ray Bradbury's and Author c Clark's Idea's Conjuncture.. Became Reality !

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Any type of dried grass would work for that matter instead of depleting the market of feed hay and raising the prices for those that depend on it such as farmers,ranchers and Horse Breeders.

This solution could be used in conjunction with the booms and chemical dispersants(aka Soap) which also need to be extracted up out of the water , especially in environmentally sensitive areas such as fisheries etc.

In all of my years of engineering projects, we always had what was called a "Contingency Plan", in the event something catastrophic were to occur. You had at least a plan of action and/or a solution.

I can't believe that these Oil Corporations, weren't better prepared.

What a bunch of Overpaid $hitHeads !!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
There definitely is not enough hay for all this oil. As well, the hay is needed to feed livestock

However, What about trying to make some sort of hay walls around certain shorelines

That way any oil neer the shores will be forced to absorb

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
A little humor on the matter...
oh well can't figure out how to embed the dang youtube video... Grrr

[edit on 8-5-2010 by tellmemoreok]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I have heard some great ideas on this thread. I have also heard some bonehead comments. This idea is not a “dumb idea”. So, in no particular order, are my comments to the entire thread:

1. I am not sure what difference clean water makes. I agree there is a lot more “stuff” in plain ocean water but I do not believe that would play much of a part in the cleaning process. Hay is often used to clean algae or floating silt from water and it is efficient.
2. They state they are using used motor oil. Crude oil would stick to the hay better than the refined product.
3. It would take a lot of hay to make this happen. However, consider it would not have to be used everywhere. Perhaps just use it around the more ecologically sensitive areas like some of those barrier islands and salt water marshes. Could they not just construct the hay fences on the beaches/wetlands for now to absorb what comes ashore? It could be implemented easier and cleaned up easier.
4. Hay will float for a long time. They state in their solution they would pick it up afterward. In addition, they suggest burning the hay afterwards perhaps to further generate energy. I imagine dried hay soaked with crude would be pretty combustible.
5. I have read some feel this would leave a shortage for livestock. I cannot imagine a farmer selling more than his/her surplus to the cause.
6. Of course the hay will not get to depth to absorb the crude, but most of the crude makes it way to the surface anyway due to the density difference.
7. The Hay is eco friendly compared to the dispersants. Besides the dispersant do not remove the oil, they merely break it up and thin it out. The crude still remains just in a little different form. The hay removes it.
8. Of course the hay will not stay put but neither does the oil. The same wind/currents which carry the oil will carry the hay. Yes the hay will have to be picked up but so will the oil currently chased all over the place. The booms soaked with oil have to be transported someplace and dealt with; so will the hay.

And best of all: I agree if this idea is used, the profit will go to the little guy. We can’t have that. We need a tax payer backed, private R&D program which will take years to develop a highly profitable, er, effective means to combat problems which already have solutions.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
ACTUALLY i live on the gulf coast near Destin FL and this is exactly what they're doing.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I dont know where the discussin has got to, but ity seems obvious theres potential on using straw or other organic substitutes and even some other similar thing like cotton swabs or other stuff....
Crude oil wpould stick much better to the stuff than the oil they used to demo....id expect better results at sea.....
I think we just need enough of the material to cover a state sized area....

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I did some experiments of my own and found that a Mr.Clean Cleaning Pad will soak up ALL THE OIL, even if dropped in with 10x more water. I am about to test a "SHAMWOW". I seems the "SHAMWOW" soak's up water faster then the oil. Maybe this is the concept on which the Mr.Clean Cleaning pad's could work! It's based on Oil and Grime clean up.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by SneakAPeek]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Human hair , traps more oil than straw , experiments are going on at the moment using it.

www.reuters.com...

one link of many

[edit on 9-5-2010 by gambon]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Tragic

I got a bunch of emails from other rescuers & dog people about this & it is a great idea.
I'm a little dubious about the hay idea (though couldn't roadside cuttings work?). We don't need a hay shortage on top of our other problems. The price of beef could hit the roof, & if we have a drought, things could get rough.

It DOES make too much sense to do something this sound, doesn't it?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

This oil spill is spewing 200,00k gallons a day. That is just a teeny bit of pressure...

The Canadian MSM say that ~ 800000 gallons per day are ejected... I see that as a planetary catastrophe.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by D1ss1dent]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
20 odd years ago straw packed into nets was found to do the job quite well, in England, but it seems that idea has been forgotten, seems every generation has to find the same solution to each problem (from a 'tomorrows world' program on the BBC)

Hence the reason THEY say WE Only Repeat The History WE Do Not Learn From!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleMaster
reply to post by hawkiye

Hmmm. Maybe there going to let the oil destroy mexico?

The same corruption and manipulation of coporate style destructive ways of forcing poverty in tourist areas/profiteering businesses like the incident in Alaska many years ago????

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SneakAPeek
I did some experiments of my own and found that a Mr.Clean Cleaning Pad will soak up ALL THE OIL, even if dropped in with 10x more water. I am about to test a "SHAMWOW". I seems the "SHAMWOW" soak's up water faster then the oil. Maybe this is the concept on which the Mr.Clean Cleaning pad's could work! It's based on Oil and Grime clean up.

In all fairness IF the coporate businesses really gave a "two-shoes" about anything other than profiteering through poverty, do you really think they would allow this to happen? Its not because they haven't already got the technology and ideas to put a stop to this disaster but they are allowing this disaster to play out to over-fill their pockets of greed and wealth and have ever more control over people's resources.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logestar
ACTUALLY i live on the gulf coast near Destin FL and this is exactly what they're doing.

I'm so happy to hear this! I hope it works. My family actually has property there. The beaches are so beautiful -- second to none.

I hope you will let us know how it works. I'd be willing to go down there and haul some hay!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by gambon
Human hair , traps more oil than straw , experiments are going on at the moment using it.

www.reuters.com...

one link of many

[edit on 9-5-2010 by gambon]

What would really be touching is to see American citizens having their heads shaved, and going bald for a while to contribute to the clean up effort. I would do it in a heart beat if we were asked.

Plus, I've always wanted a red wig. Just for fun.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hey all , why cant we plug the hole with rubber.I read an article in popular science a couple of months ago that in England they've been pumping chunks of rubber into gas lines to seal leaks . They say the pipe is kinked why not tap in below the kink and pump in big pieces of rubber then smaller pieces then even smaller. Even if it only slows it down it can buy more time. I'm having a hard time thinking that we have the best minds in the world on this and the best they can come up with is a giant funnel. This just isn't looking good. All this time I thought our demise would come from above. Who's idea was this to drill in such deep water anyway with no way of stopping a disaster such as this. Now what if a terrorist was to blow a couple more it might as well be a nuclear war the end results could be the same. Another thought would be to drop a man hole cover shaped disk slightly smaller then the diameter of the pipe straight down [ I ] then turn it sideways [---] could act like a valve below the kink . it would have to be heavy. I'm just not thinking a nuke is an option. It could just make matters worst. Well I'm gona stop thinking out loud now and crawl back under my rock . But before I go I think people should keep putting their ideas out there . Ya never know ... Peace out all....

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Maybe, after the leak is plugged they can collaborate ALL of the solutions:

Throw a bunch of hay, hair and mushrooms into the ocean!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join