It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How you can donate your hair to make oil booms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hi, all...I just saw this on the internet today. There is one company (maybe more) that collects human hair to make oil booms. Most of it comes from salons, but individuals can also donate their hair.

I just signed up for more information on how to donate my hair, and when I get more information, I'll post it here. I know right now there are 12 collection sites being set up to receive hair.

I've been growing my hair out long for over a year, and it will be hard to cut it off...but then what's more important? Vanity or the earth? I think the earth wins, hands down!

I'm going to wait to find out more information before I cut my own (I want to make sure my hair actually will be used in an oil boom to protect our coasts, and won't go to waste if I cut it off), and when I find more information, I will let you know.

If anybody else wants to sign up for more information, here is more information...this is what I have so far:

matteroftrust.org...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by nikiano]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Where do I sign up... Oh wait!

Cool idea though to grow your hair long and then donate it to mother earth to mop up the mess humans are leaving all over her. You could be forgiven for thinking we were a bunch of undisciplined teenagers always thinking that someone else will clean up their room for them.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
They also have a facebook page (Matter of trust) so you can make them a favorite and get updates via Facebook.

Still gathering more information....

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Update:

They also have a youtube video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHuWyFVo62o

[edit on 7-5-2010 by nikiano]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
if you have got quite long hair then I would suggest selling it for wig making./hair extensions.

you can get a good amount. especially if you keep it in good condition.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

At this point, I care more about doing what I can to help the earth, than helping someone else look pretty. Looks are transient....the earth is more important.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Personally I would rather make a monetary donation.

Or you could just buy human hair-extensions from ebay and send them instead

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Ok then,

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
why donate? it will cost fuel to get your hair there, she should visit local barbers in the US.

and an interesting thing I found, it seems she already has enough hair collected but no way to process it.

Matter of Trust, a nonprofit that uses human hair scraps to make mats to clean up oil spills, finds itself with 18,000 pounds of hair and nobody to process it. Lisa Gautier, who runs the organization, says that the recession has closed many of the textile makers that produced the mats and the warehouse that stored them. Unfortunately for Lisa the hair keeps piling up.

research, research...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
Personally I would rather make a monetary donation.

Money, that paper they can print out of thin air by the billions?

Better save it for yourself, this is not our fault, the oil companies that keep the innovators and inventors quiet with any means are to blame.

Don't feel guilty about this, it's their mess to clean.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Are you seriously missing the secret here?
Collection of hair colleced from certain companies?

To me, from outside the box, again, it looks like a very good tactic to register peoples DNA on the sly,
Set up a database
Register particular salon or barbers to Certain post code, which there you can see the voters role giving you all of the names to all that live in that particular area or post code. Most people will use a local barber, normally at least within their town, county, or state.
Like i say from outsdide the box.

Good luck , sign up, im sure i aint.

Big brothers watching you. Serious.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by jazz10]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Ok, here is the latest update on the hair booms.

This is the last e-mail I got from Matter of Trust.

These are LIMITED TEMPORARY DONATION SPOTS THAT WE ARE PROVIDING TO YOU SPECIFICALLY.

IF YOU HAVE JUST SIGNED UP OR HAVE MORE HAIR...

You can UPS, FEDEX, USPS or DROP OFF to the closest - until MAY 18th CURRENT DEADLINE.

HAIR FOR BOOM B Qs

921 Canal St.
New Orleans, LA. 70112

(They have a lot of space and a lot of volunteers. And want more hair / fur!)

To the poster who said that this was a way of getting your DNA, I think you are being a little paranoid. They have 450,000 pounds of hair. Most of it comes in large quantities from hair salons. I don't think they have time to go through and take hair samples from thousands of people and enter it into a database. It is a charity organization that was specifically set up to create hair mats and hair booms for oil fills.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think this is a way we can all help with the cleanup. I am going to talk to the local beauty, barber and pet grooming shops in the area I live and ask them to place two boxes in their shops - one for old nylons and one for hair. I'm pretty sure they will all do it. Then I can pick up the boxes and send them to Matter of Trust.

Heck, I might even have a "Let's Make a Hair Boom" party after I pick up the boxes. Around here, if ya' buy enough beer, you can get lots of people to do things they otherwise wouldn't do!
This is a good cause and I'm pretty sure folks would do it - even without the cold beer.

nikiano, I wouldn't cut my hair if I was you. Just go talk to your local shops and ask them to contribute all the hair they cut. There are thousands of people getting hair cuts everyday and I don't see any need for you to cut yours if you don't really want too.

At this point, I care more about doing what I can to help the earth, than helping someone else look pretty. Looks are transient....the earth is more important.

The hair donated for making wigs doesn't go to make someone look pretty.
It is used to make wigs for those that have lost their hair after having chemo and other cancer treatments. And the recipients are usually children.
So, to donate your hair for that would be a worthy cause.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sounds more like a giant voodoo ritual to me. Donate your hair at your peril .
Louisiana Voodoo

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
if you have got quite long hair then I would suggest selling it for wig making./hair extensions.

you can get a good amount. especially if you keep it in good condition.

Or you could donate it to make wigs for cancer patients. Kids get really bummed out about losing their hair.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
What a pile of rubbish - Donate your hair, conform to look like a Marine instead of a Hippie to save the environment, yea I wonder who came up with that idea.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Are you seriously missing the secret here?
Collection of hair colleced from certain companies?

To me, from outside the box, again, it looks like a very good tactic to register peoples DNA on the sly,
Set up a database
Register particular salon or barbers to Certain post code, which there you can see the voters role giving you all of the names to all that live in that particular area or post code. Most people will use a local barber, normally at least within their town, county, or state.
Like i say from outsdide the box.

Good luck , sign up, im sure i aint.

Big brothers watching you. Serious.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by jazz10]

Remember this that i had said

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
As if the oil companies have not scalped us enough???

Look at all the new green jobs they are creating. Have you ever noticed how their system reallly works? They pull on your emotions, using guilt, manipulation, fear, or sometimes giving you the sense that you are doing something good to save the world...they get YOU to give what you have, then THEY turn around and sell it for a profit.

Charity thrift stores basically work the same way. The furniture you give will never be given to someone who has lost all in a housefire, nor will a jacket be given to a cold homeless person. It will all be resold in the store and maybe .00001% will go down the line to a soup kitchen, after the execs have gotton their salaries.

Back to the hair....there is also a program where you can donate your hair for cancer victims. And guess what? Some of the hospitals actually have a WIG shop on a wing of the hospital where they sell the wigs made from donated hair.

If I give, I expect the giving to be passed on down the line. But that's not the way it's done!

Let the oil exec's scalp their families for the project. Let's see how many of them will do it.

new topics

top topics

join