It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weeds Are Now Resisting Monsanto Weed Killer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Maybe Monsanto should focus on genetically modifying the weeds instead. Make them so that their 2nd generation produces sterile seeds...wipe those weeds off the face of the planet.

Oh, I forgot....If they did that, then there would be no need for GM crops or Roundup.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I'm slightly confused by your staements because i thought HID lights gave a more efficient light source than LED, flourescent or CFL. I know someone who is getting into commercial tomato crops and all of the expert say the HID lights are more efficient in such circumstances. At least this is true if they are vented. As for nefarious purposes i would be grateful if you left such things outside of this thread or you will basically cause my thread to be locked when there are many important details to be dealt with here.

I would be very interested seeing your research because i could save my friend a ton of money.

I should say my own experiments have been fascinating. I have grown both hot pepper and tomatos in my own bedroom and the yields have been incredible! It's how i met my commercial farming friend, through an internet forum. I have found that aeropnoics yield slightly lower results that the bubbler systems but i'm still messing around with it all. I am hoping to develop a system which is superior to the others which i can patent

So i can't go into it to much

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

Plants only use 4 frequencies to germinate and grow, 2800 angstroms (280nm) for germination and 450nm (6%), 665nm (84%) and 710nm (10%) for actual growth through photosynthesis. Plants are green or orange or yellow, etc, because those are the colours they reflect, not absorb. Under the correct lighting conditions growing plants under the right frequencies they actually look horrible as they absorb all the light (look an ugly brown) but as soon as you put them under normal light, the colour is fantastic.

For efficiency, take a standard 400w HPS grow light, it produces only about 10% useable light energy in the correct frequency ranges (I have all the charts). So, let's just say for argument that it's 100% efficient electrically, which it is no where near because of ballasts and filaments. That means you are expending 10 times the energy to produce the useable light. Now look at LED's, I can get high energy LEDS that produce the same amount of light for 20% of the current of the "100%" efficient HPS's. So what is better, 10 lights using 4000 watts to produce 400 useable watts or LEDs using 800 watts to produce 400 useable watts?

I realize the capital costs are higher with LED's but there is a lower heating load, it is a light specific system and the energy costs are 1/5th of HPS. If you amortize your costs over 1 year, you'll find that LEDs are less expensive. If you look at maintenance over 5 years, you'll find LEDs are about 10% of HPS maintenance.

It's pretty easy to see which comes out on top, just by looking at the numbers.

I will help you, give me a couple of days and I'll start posting all the original company website pages and research, and give you a link. Just U2U me and remind me.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Ruh Roh, double post, sorry 'bout that. So I'll just add a bunch of images and info pertaining to the thread.

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 5/7.2010 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ikema

As they say, extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence to back them up...

Not saying you're making it up but since I haven't heard about this, how about throwing me a bone here?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Dave, interesting set up. You didn't mention how the food tastes. I suspect it tastes awful. I haven't yet eaten a tomato that tastes good that didn't come from someone's own garden or farmer's open field. Even the "organic" stuff my friends grow hydroponically tastes nasty IMHO.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

Dave, interesting set up. You didn't mention how the food tastes. I suspect it tastes awful. I haven't yet eaten a tomato that tastes good that didn't come from someone's own garden or farmer's open field. Even the "organic" stuff my friends grow hydroponically tastes nasty IMHO.

I grow some stuff using both aero and hydroponics. They taste absolutely great. All that anyone growing needs to remember is to flush the plants before harvest otherwise, because of the vast amounts of nutrient they can take into the plants they can taste a bit metallic.

The reason your friends organic ones didn't taste any good is probably because of this last step.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Maybe Monsanto should focus on genetically modifying the weeds instead. Make them so that their 2nd generation produces sterile seeds...wipe those weeds off the face of the planet.

Oh, I forgot....If they did that, then there would be no need for GM crops or Roundup.

But they would not make money without weeds.

In a way Monsanto is genetically modifying the weeds its called survival.

The weeds are modifying themselves to survive roundup. This in its self is caused by Monsanto.
And if they keep using GM crops and roundup it will get to a point that we will not be able to grow non GM crops because of the unintentional GM weeds.

This will not lead to going back to non GM crops because the weeds will kill them but to new herbicides and new GM crops resistant to the new herbicides.
I also believe the GM crops now are what is killing bees and a new round of GM crops may do in the bees of the world.

We must get rid of GM crops. NOW.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

Actually, they taste fantastic. The only vegetables my son would eat were the ones that came out of the grow machines at our plant/offices. There were no additives, pesticides, herbicides, etc. so he also trusted what we were doing as he could see the entire process.

The difference in taste using meat as an example, can be compared to grocery store bought processed chicken and farm raised free ranging grain fed chicken. Real grain fed free ranging chicken from a farm is amazing. I am almost tempted to go back to Manitoba and get some more.

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 5/8.2010 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

But they would not make money without weeds.

In a way Monsanto is genetically modifying the weeds its called survival.

The weeds are modifying themselves to survive roundup. This in its self is caused by Monsanto.
And if they keep using GM crops and roundup it will get to a point that we will not be able to grow non GM crops because of the unintentional GM weeds.

This will not lead to going back to non GM crops because the weeds will kill them but to new herbicides and new GM crops resistant to the new herbicides.
I also believe the GM crops now are what is killing bees and a new round of GM crops may do in the bees of the world.

We must get rid of GM crops. NOW.

I read a number of reports about 4 years ago concerning the terminate seed technology and the GM crops. Monsanto is suing local farmers that are attached to other farming developments after they find the genetic material from their seeds. This has been going on for years.

The real problem with Monsanto and GM crops is that they are trying IMHO to completely control the world's food source through litigation. No one can stop Monsanto's seeds genetic material from breaching another field as it is carried by bees and the wind. So Monsanto is using the natural mechanism of evolution to propagate their alleged "technology."

Then we have Codex Alimentarius as well and how GM crops are trying to be implemented world wide through the UN. BTW, Canada is doing an awful lot of the pushing for Codex.

In the end, the only plants that will be growing are those controlled by Monsanto or those that have developed resistance to Monsanto's alleged technology. This is one of the reasons for the seed banks. If there is a mistake, be it planned or accidental, the seed banks will be necessary to repopulate the world's plants, but only after almost complete surface sterilization, meaning death through fire.

Personally, I think this event is planned. There are too many indicators that point to some kind of man made catastrophic disaster that will wipe life off the surface of the planet.

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 5/8.2010 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Along our street there is a hedge.
Nothing strange about that you might say.
But , Around the edge of the hedge are weeds.
One afternoon I attempted to dig some out.
There roots went 70cm deep into the ground.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The answer is quite simple: say yes or no. The answer for Monsanto is a very resounding NO. In my opinion, don't support them in any way, figure out what product lines trace back to them, and don't buy. Tell your friends and family who are unaware too - let's all stop feeding the beast and promoting eugenics. It's a no-brainer.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Hi, Monsanto fans, or not.

Do some research on "Roundup ready" stuff, you are eating now if
you did not switch to almost 100% BIO/ORGANIC food, as we did !!

THINK about the fact that what you eat is *sprinkled* with their crap,
and what you eat also *drinks* that crap, with their roots ! !

us2.ixquick.com...
and use keyword
"Roundup ready"

Blue skies.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
What about all the weed killer people are putting on their lawns just to make them pretty - which then drains into our drinking water supplies

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
welcome to 1998... no really, Argentina had them back then, only a couple of years after introduction of GM soy.

India had similar problems, because these frankenseeds are never living up to the hype, but they certainly do give Monsanto a lot of money - and big agribusinesses gets cheap land obtained from now defunct farms as a neat side effect.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

if you must, go through

to see what you can find and if you still don't believe that the genetic engineering of today is a hack job with underwhelming results and a latent risk, then read

or

or

well, i still hope that things won't go sideways too far, but in the end, something's got to give, belief alone won't feed anyone, nor will it prevent the re-occurrence of faulty harmful defects, like:

www.aquarianonline.com/Eco/UnnaturalHarvest.html

(pls copy and paste this link, i don't wish to kill it by automatic referral)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Until recently we have never used gene splicing to modify crops. We used selected breeding or grafting, very different methods than gene modification.

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Well here we go.

Weeds resisting Monsanto Weedkiller

Let me start off by saying i do not dislike GM crops. I used to but then i realised that throughout history we have modified crops, ...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Maybe Monsanto should focus on genetically modifying the weeds instead. Make them so that their 2nd generation produces sterile seeds...wipe those weeds off the face of the planet./quote]

Actually that would not be possible. For what you are suggesting to work, you would need to kill off all the existing weeds in order to replace them with the GM ones, which would then be pointless. I suppose theoretically they could make a disease to kill off the weeds but I think we all know that is a bad route to head down.

-Cauch1

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I am happy it doesn't work.

I am glad lifeforms gain resistance and adapt to our pollutive ways.

But that doesn't mean we should keep polluting.

And yes spraying chemicals on a crop that we eat, is bad.

Well, water is an ok chemical. I can accept dihydrogen monoxide contamination.

I agree, this makes me VERY happy! Yay for mother nature!

I can't stand chemicals.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Any ideas for getting rid of Kudzu??

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/840ffd363aac.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Any ideas for getting rid of Kudzu??

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/840ffd363aac.jpg[/atsimg]

Goats??? Many, many hungry little goats, then they may share some milk too!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join