It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divine intervention and a world first

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Not sure exactly how to label this but you decide.

Sunday evening my mobile phone rang and because I watched an exiting film, I answered without looking at the display.

"Hello, this is xxxxx" [name withheld for security reasons]

"Nnnngggg.....Nnnggghhh...." [this is to illustrate heavy breathing or groaning]

I immediately assumed I had a groaner. A pervert. And quite honestly I love getting that type of calls. I usually try to strike up a conversation - or if in that mood . I cheer them on. "Go on. more. Hep, hep, hep. Get the pace up, you're nearly there..." That kind of stuff.

"Nnnnggghhh...." More groaning and then a fresh young female told me to hold my breath. It was one of those. A woman. GREAT. They are the best groaners.
I'd better do what she says. Maybe it'll be fun.

"Helloooo. Hello." [me - getting no response and running out of breath]

"... Hold your breath ... Good ... OK. You can take a breath now."

I was mystified. This was strange. More groaning and more orders to hold my breath.

Since there was no response to my hellos I figured I had one of those AutoDials, where some poor sod must have hit some keys on a cell phone while it is in their pocket.
First I thought I should hang up, but my curiosity was strong and after all - she was the one who phoned me.

After what must have been about a minute, she encouraged me to breathe in shallow gasps.
AHHH - I thought - this type of conversation I know. This sounded like someone in labour. Someone was having a baby.

Truth be told - my daughter was pregnant and I was in fact waiting for the good news that she would be going to the hospital (which, by the way, is free in Denmark), and I eventually realized that it must be her I could hear groaning. The female voice must be the midwife and as soon as I heard my son-in-law's voice I was certain. Yes my daughter was indeed in labour.

I rushed to my wife and had her listen in. We agreed, that we should listen a while longer. It was exiting to be present when she was having her baby - even if it was a mistake.

I tried several times to raise their attention by saing my "hello, helloooo" even shouting it into the phone. No reaction.

The midwife started talking about contractions, pushing harder and whatever it is they say. My daughter was groaning but otherwise being quite brave.

After what must have been about 6 or 7 contractions the midwife was really exited and I heard the first cries of my grandchild. My first grandchild.

I hung up and immediately phoned my daughter back. When they answered I heard the baby again and I congratulated them on their baby girl.
"You have no idea how good your timing is", I was told.
"Well," I said, "I simply have the gift".

However - this thread is not so much about my granddaughter but more a question for you guys:

What are the odds that a mistaken call happens when someone is giving birth? And what are the odds that it happens 6 or 7 contractions before the actual birth? After all, - the call could have come two hours earlier. Or six hours earlier.

Isn't it just amazing?

I am over the moon about this and after having had the time to think it through, I am still absolutely flabbergasted that this mistaken phonecall happened at such an opportune moment.

And the world first?

Well. I sincerely doubt that anyone ever have had their father phone litterally seconds after a birth to congratulate on the new baby.

Anyway.

Just thought I'd share this with you.

A baby girl. 3550 grams and 53 centimeters. She looks great. Mother and child are fine.
And the other amazing thing? From 4 centimeter opening to birth it took 3 and a half hours. Pretty good for a first time mum.

Perhaps I'll begin to believe in divine intervention...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Congradulations. That was a very strange and interesting story. I wish you and your family all the best

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f64164c84b6a.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane

Was anybody in the room with your daughter that might have called you, like the father of the baby?

If your phone stored the call, can't you do a re-dial to see who it was?

It seems odd, and you might be looking for an explanation to your miracle, but, it might be something simple!

Best wishes, Paw Paw!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That is fantastic! the universe works in mysterious ways. When I was reading this I was thinking that maybe something would go wrong, and that's why you were given the call, but thankfully everything turned out alright i see. congratulations, the gift of life is a beautiful one!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Congratulations! She's very cute. You must be proud. What an interesting story you'll have for your granddaughter!

Best wishes to you and yours.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Congratulations bud
I know it must have been a real shocker to learn that the call was the live birth. Very cool indeed

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
First of all, congrats!!

But you need to know something....
Coincidences don't exist. They are there for you to realize the beauty and the capacity of our world... trust me.

I'm going to share similar to yours ...

I was in the car with my mom after my guitar' class. I said before opening the radio "If it's my favorite Pink Floyd song that is playing.. God exists!" - My mom being an atheist laughed - So I putted the radio on.. and.. The first notes of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd were playing...

What were the odds?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Was anybody in the room with your daughter that might have called you, like the father of the baby?

If your phone stored the call, can't you do a re-dial to see who it was?

It seems odd, and you might be looking for an explanation to your miracle, but, it might be something simple!

Best wishes, Paw Paw!

Well - in the room was a midwife, a trainee midwife, my daughter and my son-in-law.

The explanation for the call turned out to be quite simple.

I was the last person they called to inform me that they were going to the hospital. I didn't get the call because I was working in the garden. I didn't check the phone when I got into the house, because I didn't expect any call on that cell phone. My daughter would have called our land line. But my land line number was not programmed into my son-in-law's cell phone. They only married december 12th last year and he's not one for calling.

Since I was the last person they called, the re-dial went to my phone.

When I phoned back I used the number stored in my cell phone and that was directly to my daughter's phone.

I'm not looking for an explanation, merely relaying to you guys how the story unfolded.

Had I wanted to truly believe I'd probably have had more than this lonely "miracle" in my 52 years on this level of existence.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gumerk
Congratulations bud
I know it must have been a real shocker to learn that the call was the live birth. Very cool indeed

You can say that again.

Even if my avatar suggests it, I found that I wasn't made of stone after all.

I almost considered going out to look for the cat, kick the tires on the car or other manly things, to get away from all this touchy-feely stuff.

But being 52 I can admit that my eyes filled up and almost flowed over.

For me it was a very special experience which I shall treasure.

top topics

join