It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook: Eroding your privacy step-by-step

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Since its incorporation just over five years ago, Facebook has undergone a remarkable transformation. When it started, it was a private space for communication with a group of your choice. Soon, it transformed into a platform where much of your information is public by default. Today, it has become a platform where you have no choice but to make certain information public

Read the rest at The Electronic Frontier Foundation

Facebook is taking over more and more of what we publish, step-by-step.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
They have a T&C that can be read before you join...

So IF people are stupid enough to put their life on there for the world to see then tough.. IMHO of course

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It's CIA Seeded...

I was watching TV last night, and I was shocked at how many cell phones are now boasting having a FB app! I thought to myself, WHY? If your cell has a FB app, and you use it - is the privacy settings the same? Most cell's don't have all the capabilities as a TRUE web browser! Food for thought hey?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think this is very important and everyone needs to be aware of this asap.

thanks OP for the post

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

I concur.
It always amazes me how people go on about Facebook and privacy, as if it's compulsory to join the site.
Its policies are clearly laid out in the terms and conditions, and if there's any issue that someone is uncomfortable with then they don't need to join the site.
Facebook is a business not a public service.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Conspiracy Chicks fan !]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Chicks fan !

that is why if you do use fb that you be aware of what you post and do so if the intent of protecting your own privacy.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I've been saying this since the dawn of "friends lists" and chat rooms. Big Brother doesnt need to lift an eyelid. We're all too happy to watch each other and squeal from the rooftops if we thought it would make us 15 minute celebrities.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by togetherwestand

People shouldn't really need to be made aware of this, because they should read the terms and conditions before joining or read the notification when the terms and conditions are updated.
If people don't read the small print then they've only got themselves to blame if they are using a service whose T&Cs they are unhappy with.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Conspiracy Chicks fan !]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Cancelled my account months ago.
I really dont see some peoples fascination with it. I dont think we are really aware of the potential damage it could do in the future to business and personal relationships.
Some real horror stories have already come out but I think we have only scratched the surface and will never really know the true extent.

startupmeme.com...

Privacy is something to be looked after and not just given away.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You just have to assume whatever you put on there will be viewed by some government agency / program / tptb / corporations looking to sell you things, etc...

Now, knowing that, you have the ability to use facebook to create whatever persona you want.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

I have like eight, that Mafia Wars was addicting.

But most the scripts I made no longer work. So I am not one of the badasses any longer.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by togetherwestand
reply to post by Conspiracy Chicks fan !

that is why if you do use fb that you be aware of what you post and do so if the intent of protecting your own privacy.

Yup, even the CIA and FBI is watch all social networks now. George Carlin was right our rights are dwindling by-the-day.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The same could be said about the internet in general. People seem to want to post up all manner of private things despite knowing of unsavoury occurances that have happened to other people who have "bared all" online.

My FB account doesn't host any information that I consider detrimental to my personal life. Some people use it to whore (for want of a better word) pictures of themselves, but people like me only use it to connect with some VERY distant friends, so I can see the good in it. I don't like the new features though, and I don't like how I have to check things to private due to the publically viewable defaults they have on there.

Not everyone is going to be as savvy with their information, and maybe the MSM should concentrate on educating the masses on basic personal online safety instead of campaigning for FB and other websites to be hung drawn and quartered whenever someone does something stupid.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
If you don't like it, don't join. No one is forcing you to join Facebook. Do you want to join a social-networking site where you can make privacy settings whatever you want? Here's an idea- create your own! I like Facebook. Many of my friends have scattered across the globe and it's a great way to stay in touch. If Facebook creates problems in one's life, then it's thier own fault. Better yet, if you want to protect your privacy, throw away your computer, your tv ( never know the govt might have secret cameras in them, lol) , close your bank account, cancel your cell phone and landline (the fbi is probably tapping them anyway) and don't leave your house EVER. Your privacy will sure to be safe! Come on.....life comes with risks. Paranoia can seriously inhibit your ability to live life to the fullest. So what If "they" are watching you? Is that any reason to become a hermit? If you think it is then "they" have won.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Hey, finally a conspiracy theory with merit.

Hmmm... unfortunately I don't think there's much to discuss. The stupid/uninformed will continue to post everything about themselves, including personal information and pictures of family and friends (some of which may include YOU - total bummer). While the rest of us will have to stick to being tracked by credit cards, cell phones, places of residence, license plates, bank loans, tax forms, etc...

So many ways to track a person. Everything the government needs to know about me, they already know. And it's because I wrote it all down on my W2.

new topics

top topics

join