It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP pins Gulf of Mexico oil clear-up hopes on funnel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
source
Time is working against them but they have to try something...

Welders in Louisiana are working against the clock to build a giant iron funnel for BP in a bid to halt the huge spill from a Gulf of Mexico well.

The 98-tonne, dome-topped box being built by steel workers is to be ready on Wednesday and may be shipped to the site by the end of the week.

BP has accepted it is "absolutely responsible" for cleaning up the spill caused by a blast on a drilling rig.

Its shares have plunged more than 15% since the 22 April explosion.

It is estimated that the clean-up could cost BP up to $15bn (£10bn).

BP insists that the rig's contractor, Transocean, was to blame for the accident but, under US law, it has to bear the cost of the clean-up as the operator of the oilfield.

MSM is still being pretty quiet about all this as usual. The failed car bomb seems to be more newsworthy....

[edit on 4-5-2010 by redeyedwonder]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by redeyedwonder]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i heard the newscaster mumble/slip
"option two ...just seal it with concrete"

i can't find the video now on CNN.. maybe they took it down

so what i am understanding is they had the means to collaspe this #.....but held off so they could build this funnel to make a profit ....

can we please have public executions of these heads and thier families?
this scum deserves no less

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Zeres]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Zeres]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeres

Does this sound wishy washy to you?

Asked by Reuters if he was confident it would work, BP spokesman John Curry said: "We sure hope so.

"If not, we will keep trying other options until something does work. I think we have some great engineers and they have worked very hard."

The funnel will have to be tested before it can be shipped to the spill site.

Tested against what???

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
No the concrete solution is no secret it has been mentioned on the new before. The problem with the concrete solution is that they will have to drill new places and then fill it with concrete. That would be estimated to take about 3 to 6 months.

What I find a little odd is the fact that all this Greece stuff is going on and Greece is on the verge of collapse and the next thing you know a safety valve that is on all oil rigs that has an extremely high success rate as in never having a failure to the best of my knowledge all of a sudden fails.

With the Euro taking a beating right now the price of oil is dropping. I wonder if this was a some what calculated move to try to get the price per barrel to remain high. Which oddly enough isn't working, because in the grand scheme of things this one oil rig is just a drop in the bucket of the thousands out there.

I believe this "funnel" is going to work though. BP is going to be stuck with the cleanup costs of this and they don't have months to spare before it could bankrupt them, or dun dun dun, Nationalization of the American oil company.

Remember these people never let a crisis go to waste.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Light of Night
in the grand scheme of things this one oil rig is just a drop in the bucket of the thousands out there.

I was under the impression this was the biggest reserve in the Gulf...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

Maybe the well, but not the rig. I think it was already mentioned they have another oil rig on-site getting prepped to tap the well again. That will take 3 to 6 months.

Also if it is the biggest reserve in the gulf sure there will be environmental damage but the amount of oil leaked will only cut its life span by a few months if even that.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
what good is a mile long pipe???
when there are 3 different holes spewing oil.
Aren't they gonna need 3 of these???

new topics

top topics

join