It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slaughterhouse owner, workers tried on child labor charges as manager awaits fraud sentence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Slaughterhouse owner, workers tried on child labor charges as manager awaits fraud sentence

www.canadianbusiness.com

Iowa (AP) - Jury selection will begin Tuesday in the trial of a former kosher slaughterhouse owner and four workers accused of thousands of child labor violations, such as allowing teenagers to use meat grinders and exposing children to dangerous chemicals.

Sholom Rubashkin, awaits sentencing on 86 financial fraud convictions. Prosecutors asked a federal judge at a sentencing hearing last week to give Rubashkin 25 years in prison.

The state filed the charges in September 2008, about four m
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.omaha.com
news.suite101.com

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

"Throughout their employment, these children were exposed to dangerous and/or poisonous chemicals including ... dry ice and chlorine solutions,"
That complaint also claimed that children under 16 were allowed to use meat circular saws and power washers.

Children under 16 using these type of machinery... in Iowa?
It's really hard to believe isn't it?

The trial begins as the former manager of the Agriprocessors Inc. meatpacking plant in Postville, Sholom Rubashkin, awaits sentencing on 86 financial fraud convictions
www.omaha.com...-labor-trial-to-start

On top of that 86 financial fraud convictions?

Wait... there's also this?

The labor departments “had identified suspected minors in the plant, and did not remove them,”
“It is outrageous to continue to let suspected children earn $7.50 per hour in a packing plant while an investigation plods on,” Brown wrote in the motion, which was later denied.

Former beef processing supervisor Jeffrey Heasley faces 844 child labor charges at a separate trial.

I can't believe this

But guess what?????
It doesn't stop there!

Jewish men wrapped in tallisim and tefillin gathered outside Cedar Rapids court house last Thursday, April 29, 2010 to pray during Sholom Mordechai Rubashkin’s sentencing hearing. Prayer vigils were also held in Lubavitch communities across the United States and Canada in the hope that their actions, referred as “saying tehillim” would help to influence the outcome of this controversial court case.

"Tehillim," which means psalms in Hebrew, refers to the Book of Psalms (part of the Hebrew Bible) that is often read on behalf of another when a person is sick or considered in danger.

After all of this some people want leniancy on this man?
I don't get it...
Why?????

Additional statements in support of leniency included letters from numerous former Justice Department staff and thousands of letters and phone calls by private citizens.

news.suite101.com...

WHY?????
I don't get it!!!!!!!!
Can someone enlighten me????

A letter from six former attorneys general also noted that a former president of the bank to which Agriprocessors owes money was found guilty of misapplying bank loans and is now serving a prison sentence. The letter was signed by attorneys general who had served under the Johnson, Reagan, Clinton and two Bush administrations.

This quite ALOT of support isn't it?

Talmudic law dictates that Jews have a mitzvah to do everything within their financial and physical power to save a Jew who is in jeopardy.

Even if the person is involved with so many counts of child labor?

There's obviously something wrong here!
Something really very very wrong here!

What kind of world do we live in?

www.canadianbusiness.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Amazing indeed, but I wonder,

Is it still Kosher when it's done with child labor?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Wow I was about to ask why it is that the owner chose to utilize children rather than people who want/need jobs at this time. Although now I'm even more distraught as to how long it's been going on as well as how long the children were working. I'm also assuming that the owner had illegal immigrants as well working there to? One last thing breaking Child labor laws is a misdemeanor?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gigantea Rosa
One last thing breaking Child labor laws is a misdemeanor?

Check here
en.wikipedia.org...

In Canada as an aside, there is no nothing against it!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Wow, seriously that's all I'd like to say to this, but I'd get a notification about one-liners. I'd honestly think that if one is exploiting the world's future it would be a lot more...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I too thought that it all had to be done by Rabies.
Or it would NOT be kosher.
Maybe all the Rabi has to do is sprinkle water over it. But I know the animal cannot be strangled, but it's neck veins must be slit to allow the blood to flow out.

top topics

join