It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alleged NASA -Affiliated Astronomer Deciphers 'Intelligence' Signal From Nearby Stars

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

In an earlier post on here i mentioned i phoned Jodrell Bank on the night this apparent news hit and was greeted to a very hectic man.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GORGANTHIUM
It all sounds very exciting and it may prove once and for all life exist outside our solar systerm but there could be some problems with a signal like this.This signal if sent from another galaxcy could have been sent millions of years ago and its just reaching us now.The original senders of that signal may not even exist anymore.Even with a signal like that, we may never be able to decypher the message anyway.

True, but I've located the stars mentioned in the original post on Google Sky Maps. These stars are all within the Milky Way and are fairly local, some within just a few light years. So, if all this is true, then these signals are local.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Aye, just gotta dig deeper sometime. Part of me was like "other language" ignore, but then I realized that would be stupid so I looked up the translations. Doesn't help much though. Not much out there on "Judy Van Gruenen" , but the connection between the names is an interesting one as both the "Incident" and the information regarding Judy point to South Africa. I'd say that this "Jimmy" is most definately James van Gruenen....what that adds to this story? I have no idea.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
reply to post by Korg Trinity

In an earlier post on here i mentioned i phoned Jodrell Bank on the night this apparent news hit and was greeted to a very hectic man.

Was his name Tim?

Korg.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pinap
Effelsberg LOFAR station was where Judy was working in Germany. I sent a message to Wayne and he said he would post it, but he didn't. Instead he posted my name pledging support which I got angry because I didn't want my name posted.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by pinap]

It's in the Netherlands actually
link

How do you know this is where she was working ?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by cosmicpixie

It's not SETI she works for but SETI@home. She is number 956 on a list of people who have their calculations/stats recorded:

AWESOME!

Can't any kid with an X-Box get on that? I don't think you have to have any type of scientific background, you only have to agree to let them borrow your processor during certain hours.

Maybe I should join this and put it on my resume!

I joined again yesterday!!!! Here in the Emirates. I am going to put it on my resume!!! Hope Aricebo gets them UV thingy's!!!

Thanks for the idea,
Tom

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie

Effelsberg LOFAR station was where Judy was working in Germany. I sent a message to Wayne and he said he would post it, but he didn't. Instead he posted my name pledging support which I got angry because I didn't want my name posted.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by pinap]

It's in the Netherlands actually
link

How do you know this is where she was working ?

Because she had a dutch name and lived in the past in the Netherlands. Then she immigrated to sweden. Since manny ppl in sweden/norwegian chance their names, it wouldnt obvious that she did it also. Dunno, if she worked at LOFAR i dont know.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Oxize]

Founded something about James on UFOmind

With regard to the South African incident, it appears that it was a hoax perpetrated by James Van Gruenen, who has A history of hoaxes. We don't know what the final outcome was. Van Gruenen even offered one producer a chance to meet an alien from the Space Council. This producer contacted me and I told him to check Van Gruenen's background.

www.ufomind.com...

Seems this family either Judy and James are ufo-minded and make up storie's in the past.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Oxize]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
nice try, but no.

Anyone interested in finding out can register and listen in on a meeting at lofar today at 11am and ask about the signals or Judy.

www.astron.nl...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BungleX
It is important to understand that analyzing any data suspected to be from intelligent life will take time and by time I mean a lot longer than 24 hours.

oh, but that Judy genius already relayed to us that she detected that only part of signal is modulated, and the rest is "binary code"! Never mind this is gibberish (in part because you'll need to modulate to transmit binary data), don't you think it's a remarkable speed of the analysis of alien data?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

nice try, but no.

Anyone interested in finding out can register and listen in on a meeting at lofar today at 11am and ask about the signals or Judy.

www.astron.nl...

We already to late for that. Its atm 16:00 in Holland. The stated time was at 11:00-12:30. I can try to phone them.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
oh, but that Judy genius already relayed to us that she detected that only part of signal is modulated, and the rest is "binary code"! Never mind this is gibberish (in part because you'll need to modulate to transmit binary data), don't you think it's a remarkable speed of the analysis of alien data?

Again, Absolutely!!

Signals are transmitted by means of modulation of a carrier wave. The only way I can interpret what was said above is that part of the message was in pulse form and the other normal data transmission through carrier wave.

Anyway, it’s all bs in my opinion.

Korg.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
As I mentioned earlier, I wrote to someone I know who is an Astrobiologist who knows Astronomy stuff too. He is friends with a professor called Mark Brake who works for Glamorgan Uni, who I have met once - nealry did his course but dropped out. I emailed Mark too.

I know Bob from years back. He used to regularly come in to a little leather crafts shop I worked in and sit down and chat to whoever else was there in the back room. He was known for his huge brain and tendency to talk way over everyone else's head about all sorts of academic stuff none of us much understood LOL

I forgot to ask for his creds 1st time around so just emailed him back but meanwhile you can google his name and there are quite a few results - you'll see him talking on various sites about all sorts of space/science stuff which I have no clue about. He's got a few patents/patent apps to his name too which come up.

I got a reply from Bob (Robert Peter Sunman) . It's very interesting :

Hi Vicky:
I am not aware of Judy, but have put out several feelers (I work with Chandra Wickramasinghe). link about Chandra I found
What I can say, is that the tools for analysing such a signal are readily available and are part of the work which I am doing. If there is enough of a signal to work with, the application of Zipf mathematics (Zipf spaces) would enable one to determine whether or not there is data in the signal. (Stage1).

Next comes the interesting bit: if there is data, use of Zipf tells us if it is a language (Stage 2)
Then we have the fun of applying comparative philology to the 'language' to try to make sense of it.
Of course, there is always the possibility that the signal is communication, but is doubly encrypted, - firstly by being in a language which is completely alien, then encrypted by the aliens to stop others reading it.
The only system which has a chance of cracking that nut is to use the SETI@home principle, and allow the use of everybody's computers on line.
Great fun! Thanks for sending it to me. I will let you know if I find out any more.

[edit on 5/5/10 by cosmicpixie]

Bob talking with academics on this thread about interstellar travel (scroll to see his posts)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Oxize

Nice find.
If this is Judy's brother, they must be estranged, otherwise she wouldn't have to decode signals. Her brother could just introduce her to the aliens!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Trying to call Lofar at this moment. Will keep you updated.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
As much as I would like to believe that this is all true....I have reservations
It seems each thread that is added is just another part of a dramatic story that is unfolding. It's like she's sending secret "DRAMATIC" information like....Radio telescopes all over the world are apparently all locking onto mysterious signals RIGHT NOW! or "Aricebo and others now in the US have gone online, England is online, South Africa is online, Australia has been online since last night! Russia is going online now, Germany is still in a discussion to go online, China is online"
ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE AN H.G. WELLS STORY!!

Are you telling me that all these countries are "ONLINE" but since this thread was posted ,we have heard NOTHING from any other country.
NO LEAKS...NO NOTHING!!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pinap

So you are saying for sure you know she works there ?
It's 15-16 in the UK, what time is 11 am there and when is this on - tomorrow 11 am you mean and 11 am what time ----Netherlands time or UK time ?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Oxize

Will you ask if she works/worked there and if recently there have they heard from her as no-one can find her.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
To anyone who wants to debunk the extremely small amount of given data, can I please request that you stop? It's all been said, A THOUSAND TIMES OVER. We get it! You don't believe it and are on something of a mission to "help the naive" or something. There's been a tremendous amount of input about the physics of electromagnetic radiation, and the different methods of detecting different parts of the spectrum. Most people have learned a significant amount from you, so thank you!

But again, it's all been said, so unless you have something NEW to add, please just stop making final conclusions. Be skeptical, but don't make the egregious error that just because you have more technical expertise in a scientific discipline than someone else, that your ability to reason with the given data is likewise superior. It isn't. The acuteness of discernment and logic is only marginally affected by the accumulation of data.

I've read every single post so far and it's obvious that 99% of the people reading this thread DO NOT BELIEVE it is true. In fact I can't recall a single post from anybody claiming this is definitely true. Not one. The majority of people are undecided and waiting for more information. So again, I urge everyone to try to keep their personal judgements to themselves and just argue the data - assuming you aren't arguing what someone else argued 5 posts before.

Back to the thread, I emailed a few staff members from UC Berkeley regarding Judy's claims of having a degree from there. That was yesterday about 6 PM pacific time. Now, it's 715 AM next day but no response yet. Since we have such little information from her personally, determining if at least her credentials are legitimate seemed like one of the only available avenues of research.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
LOOKS LIKE IT'S ALL OVER.....(but see update in later post as some odd stuff has been going on with her FB account leading some to think it's been hacked by a prankster)

from Wayne's page:

Wayne Herschel- JUDY MYSTERY SOLVED ? - FACEBOOK UP...

IS IT JUDY SAYING ALL IS OKAY?

.. THE SIGNAL IS FALSE?

Here is Judys page, I just got an email...

It reads as follows:

We did all tha prelim investigations are done and we can confidently say
that this is not the real maccoy we were looking for. Please let
everyone know. I believe th...at somewhere, someone will find the elusive
signal. Thanks for you support and all your warm thoughts and caring
towards me and my family!

her FB page

Need to speak to her and her friends to be sure.

From here forward folks... please direct all questions to Judy here...

[edit on 5/5/10 by cosmicpixie] All Wayne's words, not mine.......

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
NOW can we put this in [HOAX]? Please?

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join