It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's OK to call a cop a p***k, rules magistrate Robbie Williams.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

It's OK to call a cop a p***k, rules magistrate Robbie Williams.

www.heraldsun.c om.au

IT'S the five-letter word that police should from now on shrug-off.

Why?

Because a local court magistrate in Sydney ruled yesterday that the word "prick" was part of the every-day vernacular as he cleared a university student of an offensive language charge.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well i dunno about this one. I don't think it's OK to call anyone a prick..
..unless of course they are being a prick.

By the sounds of things it was the defendant who was being the prick!

I actually beleive most Aussie cops are good people, doing a tough job. Occasionally i run into one or two who are a bit up themselves, but most are generally pretty laid back in general day to day situations.

Should police be treated any different than an average citizen? This judge doesn't think so. I don't think so, but then i treat everyone with respect until they have proven they deserve otherwise, so it's not really an issue for me!

Thoughts?

www.heraldsun.c om.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
haha I usually call cops worse things. Then they pull out the mace and I tend to shut up

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Thank goodness for the First Amendment. I'd be arrested within a few minutes of my arrival in Australia.

No offense, Aussies, but jeez...

When you can't call a cop whatever you damn well please, there's something seriously wrong.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
^^ You're joking right? Our cops are no where near as bad as yours.

CX

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I know that i was called far worse when i was serving, however....

You call anyone a prick and you deserve to find out how different people react to comments like that.

Bottom line is, it's rude and ignorant.

When i was on duty, it depended on the situation it was used in. if i was driving past a bunch of soldiers who were bevvied up on a nightime and one of them shouted it or gave me the bird, i just stuck my thumb up.

That seemed to confuse them a little which was amusing.

If i was dealing with an incident which warranted the soldiers attention or co-operation and he was calling me a prick, then the response might have been a little less jovial. Put it this way, it wouldn't have done him/her any favours.

I repeat, it's rude and ignorant to call someone you don't know a prick, not to mention very dangerous if you don't know how they will respond.

Some cops will turn a blind eye, but as we all know, many won't. Is it really worth being Tazed just because you can't control your mouth for five seconds?

CX.

[edit on 5/5/10 by CX]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Cops are not above the law, they are not special. They have the job they have because they chose to. You can call them every name in the book if you want, that's your right. Crooked or egotistical people have no place in uniform.

Originally posted by CX

Some cops will turn a blind eye, but as we all know, many won't. Is it really worth being Tazed just because you can't control your mouth for five seconds?

CX.

[edit on 5/5/10 by CX]

Is a person fit for the duty of enforcing the law when he or she is such a sensitive person? Nope, I don't think so. It's freedom of speech. You may not like what they say, but that doesn't give you the right to silence them. You stop the freedom of another and you stop yourself.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by TruthSeeker8300]

CX

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeeker8300

Very true, they are not above the law.

I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but usualy it's only an offence if it is heard by other members of the public, or it is obstructing the police in their duty or some kind.

I just can't get my head round the fact that people want to bring themselves down to a mental level where they call police officers pricks?

Just because some police officers deserve it, or act like they are at that level, don't stoop to that level yourself.

It's also a lesson that police are not robots that do not feel or react differently. I wouldn't want all officers to have no reaction to abuse, that could have very negative consequences in some situations.

It's the same with any position of authority, there are the good guys and the bad. Some you can cuss all day at, some you'll only do it once.

Why do people insist on being stupid enough to test this theory out so often?

Walk up to a stranger in a bar and call him a prick, let me know where it gets you.

CX.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
my policy is simple if you want to have the right to call me a prick - i claim the right to make you regret it

hey , after all you said it - so dont be surprised when i prove ypou right

enyoy your hospital food

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
why so many cop haters?

"they are cops, you can do what you want to them. there not human hur dur."

grow up morons.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I guess you would have to be a real prick if you are going to tazer someone for
that.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Point of No Return]

CX

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
reply to post by CX

I guess you would have to be a real prick if you are going to tazer someone for
that.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Point of No Return]

Exactly.

We know it happens though, so i won't be testing it anytime soon.

CX.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Try calling a cop in the USA a prick.

He will beat the living crap out of you, taze you, and then FRAME YOU for attacking HIM first, thus landing you an Attacking an Officer charge. And you will go to prison for years on felony thus ruining your entire future life forever.

Just try it.

I wouldn't.

You will lose big time trust me.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

You call anyone a prick and you deserve to find out how different people react to comments like that.

Walk up to a stranger in a bar and call him a prick, let me know where it gets you.

Hahaha.. well said!

I wasn't trying to make any real statement for or against by posting this thread, i just thought it was an interesting social situation. Ego vs Law.

In another good article we have some extra context though:

Grech was walking away from the officer when he said it. That’s very different to squaring in up to him and saying: “You know what, you’re a prick,” which very much deserves a ride downtown.

I think i'm gonna side with what was written in the second article

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
my policy is simple if you want to have the right to call me a prick - i claim the right to make you regret it

hey , after all you said it - so dont be surprised when i prove ypou right

enyoy your hospital food

I hope you are not a police officer.

Instead of Justice and the Law, you are more interested in your EGO stroking.

You should be fired.

Unlawful beating of a person over a simple word, is the definition of TYRANNY and pure CORRUPTION. Disgusting. You make all cops look bad sir.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Nope, not joking at all. I've called cops far worse than "prick" and with good reason.

My point is that nobody is above an insult, regardless of race, creed, religion, color, sexual preference, or line of work. Period.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

HAH! You should come here, cops stand on such high pedistals that they'll assume you as a suspicious person if you do not treat them with respect.

I've almost scrapped it out with a few pigs before, only because they decided to harrass me as I walk on the side of the street like any other day. Cops are nothing more than attack dogs for the weak, old men in government. I've even gone over RCMP applications before; they are basically books that you need to fill out with loads of personal information so the government can determine that you are not a threat to national security, in the sense that you might actually have an open mind with immunity to such indoctrination garbage.

Ironically the royal officer training program application for the military is at most 25% as thick of an RCMP application.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
haha I usually call cops worse things. Then they pull out the mace and I tend to shut up

You owe me a keyboard; I just sprayed Pepsi all over mine.

You're right. Anyone can call a cop whatever they want to. They just have to be willing to accept the consequences of their actions.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Fair enough.

As a police officer, you would also be expected (or should be expected) to understand that you are a citizen who has been hired to maintain the law, and you have weapons at your disposal and the training behind them that the average man unfortunately doesn't always receive.

So if a word such as this is enough to send you over the edge and attack someone, then perhaps you are in the wrong profession.

---

Whatever person believes that we actually live in a free society needs to look at this thread. If you have more reason to fear saying something like that to a police officer than a normal person, there is something seriously, seriously wrong.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
As far as i know its not against the law to call a cop a prick or anything else, therefore the cop had no right to arrest him.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join