It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Got a comment. 5000 feet down would crush square or retangular hollow objects from the weight exerted by the water on top of it or am I mistaken . High pressure vessels are cylindrical in shape like rockets,submarines. High pressure vacumn pump tanks I have seen are globes.I have been told a triangle is the strongest shape and a circle is equally strong at all points. I saw the picture of the containment device being made by BP appears to be a rectanglar shape. I pray it functions properly but will it just collapse. A nuclear bomb to be used as a failsafe would not make cense to radiate the whole area but a 15,000 pound daisy cutter bomb similar to the one's used in viet nam. These bombs like most all explosions create Extreme Heat that vaporizes things like solid rock, 7 inch pipe with 1/2 inch wall thickness. Possible 70000 psi oil spew stated by some from this pipe would be stopped instantly. What they BP is trying to do is all they know how too do. I hope their idea works but this is purely experimentation. Need a failsafe plan for backup. The projected amounts of oil leakage continues to rise. When gulf wildlife above and below are exterminated ,will the total amount really mean anything.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILoveProphecy
Hello, someone asked in one of the first two pages on a biblical view of this matter. I am not a bible expert but I do read it a lot and enjoy The book of Revelation.

Anyhow The only Verse that I believe comes close is
Rev 8:8
8And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;

What I found interesting in this verse is "as it were a great mountain burning with fire".

Since the oil still continues to billow out with no end in sight yet, the scripture about opening a bottomless pit may be more suitable for the occassion. The poisons (locuste) are emitted from the abyss, or bottomless pit. If this turns out to indeed be the case, it looks like a severe case of doom. What occurrs after that is scorching heat. It follows to reason that if we have an ocean of asphalt....well you know what it feels like to walk barefoot on hot asphalt. There won't be anymore cool ocean breezes.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
They have sealed one of the three leaks.

Robot subs seal leak 5,000 ft. down

The flow rate is still estimated to be over 5,000 barrels a day.

I think they are going to need to make better safety features
on these things, and there was some info pointing to the fact
they were cutting corners on safety to save money.

Epic bad idea there.

In the short term I think we'd be better off making our own oil
via algae and sunlight in the desert in New Mexico.

100,000 gal/acre/year on non-farm land.

Just need feed stock like human or livestock waste and I suspect
a fair bit of water.

At some point we can move to algae making hydrogen, but I do not
think it is quite ready for primetime where as the algae oil is for now.

Biological Hydrogen production

For now we are stuck with oil for a bit longer, but I do not think
we have to fight wars over it or drill for it.

looking forward to them genetically making algae that makes
hydrogen without the added sulfur if that is possible.

But it may be awhile.

Good Luck to you all !

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by circle 360
Got a comment. 5000 feet down would crush square or retangular hollow objects from the weight exerted by the water on top of it or am I mistaken . High pressure vessels are cylindrical in shape like rockets,submarines. High pressure vacumn pump tanks I have seen are globes.I have been told a triangle is the strongest shape and a circle is equally strong at all points. I saw the picture of the containment device being made by BP appears to be a rectanglar shape. I pray it functions properly but will it just collapse.

However, isn't the bottom open? It is not a closed box. My understanding was they are goimg to lower this on top of gushing pipe, like a big inverted funnel.

ETA: I hate coming off as a Monday morning Quarterback, but doesn't it seem to make sense to have a few of these "containment domes" pre fabricated and on stand by?

Could have saved precious time if they were pre positioned and on standby for deployment.

I've heard it said that since we've already tapped all the "low hanging fruit" of accessible oil that these deep rigs are on the 'leading edge' of exploration, but no back up plan?

As I mentioned before for sake of comparison, the Titanic lay in 12,500 feet of water, this calamity is "only" 5,000 feet. We have technology to access those depths.

Hike!

[edit on 6-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
it is a distaster,yes,but killing earth's oceans is highly unlikely

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

The pressure at 5000 feet is about 2400 psi, but we have to remember that we are not trying to keep an air pocket inside, like we would in a submersible or submarine. The pressure will be equal inside and outside of this device, so there is no crushing force.

The idea is to lower the hollow 5 sided cube onto the gusher with a collecting tube extending to the surface. Then the crude would be pumped to the surface and contained. A mixture of sea water with the crude is not a problem, and therefore the device only has to be strong enough to contain the positive pressure from the rushing oil.

The limiting factor that I see, is how are they going to continually fill containers with the oil at the rate it is leaking. Will they have enough storage capacity and technology on the surface to contain the oil without spills. Still, even if they are only 50% successful in the immediate future, that is a significant improvement, and surely they will improve their technique and equipment until it is 100% effective.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
The limiting factor that I see, is how are they going to continually fill containers with the oil at the rate it is leaking. Will they have enough storage capacity and technology on the surface to contain the oil without spills. Still, even if they are only 50% successful in the immediate future, that is a significant improvement, and surely they will improve their technique and equipment until it is 100% effective.

Thanks and agree. Info on Oil tanker capacity:

2002 - In the latter half of the 20th Century, advances in exploration and recovery technology opened up new supplies of oil and natural gas all around the world. To make long-distance transportation more cost-effective, tanker manufacturers developed "very large capacity carriers," or VLCCs, that can carry more than 1,400,000 barrels of crude oil.

Source

Not sure how they handle time while oil is gushing between "drive-thru's."
A big honking "Y" valve or like train track switches perhaps?

[edit on 6-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Very good link and the quote below is exactly what I feel about this incidence.

The BP people are not talking, but this well is into a deposit that easily could top 500,000 barrels production per day for 10 or 15 years. Letting that all go in one blast seems more than foolish.

The deposit is one I have known about since 1988. The deposit is very big. The central pressure in the deposit is 165 to 170 thousand PSI. It contains so much hydrocarbon that you simply cannot imagine it. In published reports, BP estimated a blow out could reach near 200,000 Barrels per day (165,000) They may have estimated a flow rate on a 5 foot pipe. The deposit is well able to surpass this.

The oil industry has knowledge of the deposit more than they admit. The deposit is 100 miles off shore. They are drilling into the edge of the deposit to leak it down gently to be able to produce from the deposit. The deposit is so large that while I have never heard exact numbers it was described to me to be either the largest or the second largest oil deposit ever found. It is mostly a natural gas deposit. That is another reason not to blast too willy nilly there. The natural gas that could be released is really way beyond the oil in quantity. It is like 10,000 times the oil in the deposit.

It is this deposit that has me reminding people of what the Shell geologist told me about the deposit. This was the quote, "Energy shortage..., Hell! We are afraid of running out of air to burn." The deposit is very large. It covers an area off shore something like 25,000 square miles. Natural Gas and Oil is leaking out of the deposit as far inland as Central Alabama and way over into Florida and even over to Louisiana almost as far as Texas. This is a really massive deposit. Punching holes in the deposit is a really scary event as we are now seeing.

If we can't cap that hole that oil is going to destroy the oceans of the world. It only takes one quart of motor oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water toxic to wildlife. Are you starting to get the magnitude of this?

We're so used to our politicians creating false crises to forward their criminal agendas that we aren't recognizing that we're staring straight into possibly the greatest disaster mankind will ever see. Imagine what happens if that oil keeps flowing until it destroys all life in the oceans of this planet. Who knows how big of a reservoir of oil is down there.

Not to mention that the oceans are critical to maintaining the proper oxygen level in the atmosphere for human life.

We're humped. Unless God steps in and fixes this. No human can. You can be sure of that.

I personally don't think most people yet realize the sheer magnitude of what is going on. Laugh all you want, if that hole or now series of holes are not plugged up, and fast - life as we know it could end.

Can anyone say speciessuicide.

Some how I don't think throwing a nuclear bomb down there is going to work. Could create one hell of a explosion and bonfire.

Can anyone say burntoacrisp.

* Hurricane season begins in a little over three weeks folks.

www.visualeconomics.com...

[edit on 6-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Basically what's happening now is, oil is still being expedited out of the ocean, not with a 50 million dollar oil rig but from a swap barge and 5000 foot straw.

just a thought

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
So this little ploy that they were attempting succeeded then?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Anyone who uses oil is to blame for this .If you drive,consume ,buy,travel,eat,etc ,YOU are to blame .Go and live in a cave until the last drop is gone and then you can come out and start again.Not possible?What a mess we have created, not only this spill but the Whole friggen planet.

Do you drive, consume, buy, travel, eat, etc. as well? I guess I just should not eat anymore, because I do not want to be blamed for this.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr dodge
at last a confirmation of methane gas

I have had a theory as to what happened, that I can now post

Its known that methane can exist under water pressures in liquid form.
the drilling operation relys on drill mud (kind of a slurry) is pumped down the hole to cool the tools and plug the pressures. During the cementing operation almost all mud is pulled from the riser.
my theory, liquid methane saturated the drill mud, and under that high pressures, stayed in suspension. When the mud was brought up, and the pressure released, it turned into gas, which takes up more volume, and causing a situation that you can not vent enough gas off to keep the pressure low enough to control. Even if they could have vented all the fluid>gas off, the cloud of methane around the rig would be huge, hence the multi explosions. The rig basicly was hit with the same concept as a vapor bomb, but self induced.

dr

dr dodge, there are filtration systems exactly for what you described. The liquid mud is filtered as it's recovered. However, uncontrolled pressure is part of a blowout.

As for the methane hydrates, they are concerned with it. Warm water is being pumped to the cofferdam to discourage the frozen methane that forms at those depths.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by hawkiye

Woa there, buddy.

If it takes 1 quart of oil to turn 250,000 gallons of water into toxic uninhabitable waste, then it would take over 343 trillion gallons of oil to pollute the whole oceans.

There are 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 gallons of water in the oceans.

Source

4 quarts in a gallon. So a gallon of oil would produce 1,000,000 gallons of uninhabitable waste.

This means we just take off six zeros to figure how many gallons of oil it would take.

sextillion > quadrillion > trillion.

343 trillion gallons of oil would need to spill to make all the oceans toxic.

I think we're in the clear here.

I don't think you factor in that you don't need to take into account ALL the water in the Ocean. Oil floats and there are distinct layers of water and streams in the Oceans. As oil floats, it spreads easily and therefore can poison all of the oceans over time, certainly the top few layers that we fish.

www.seasky.org...

Okay so if we do this by surface area of the ocean

361132000 km2 of ocean water en.wikipedia.org...
previously mentioned 1 part per million is enough to contaminate.

a meter^2 is 1000*1000mm 1,000,000mm
so 1ml is enough to contaminate.

1 liter is 1000 ml, and 1 km is 1000 meter.
so 1 liter is enough to contaminate 1 km^2.

an oil barrel has about 159 liters, and assuming 5000 barrels a day.

> 361132000/(159*5000)

3.61132E8 / (159 * 5000) = approx. 454.25409

there would be enough oil to contaminate all the worlds oceans surfacce in
(3.61132E8 / (159 * 5000)) / 365 = approx. 1.2445317
about 1.2 years

to contaminate just a third as biblical prophecy says
((361132000)/3)/(159*5000)
(3.61132E8 / 3) / (159 * 5000) = approx. 151.41803

only 151 days required to fullfill prophecy.
though perhaps less since there are other oil spills in the world.

Oil spill started april 20th en.wikipedia.org...
it's may 8th so that's 19 days now.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by lowki]

my suggestion for fixing it,
what I mind sense as a potential solution.
Is moving large boulders onto the spewage site.
boulders heavy enough to be immune to the outward pressure,
and then putting dirt and other things on top.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I want to say that i dont think this oil thing is real. I think its a lie, why? I dont know of anyone who has seen any oil slicks anywhere and further more, the word is that this may have been a psy Op, like 9/11.

Reason? I dont know.

Not relevant to the OPs thread, but i had to find a place to say it.

Do some research.

This may be the Mother of all conspiracies!!!

Can anyone verify what i have heard that the oil is nowhere near land?
People who have gone off shore looking for it cannot find it!!!!!!!!!!

No i'm not insane but i have been doing some research.

What do you think without telling me off?
Thank you.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I expected it to do serious damage , but never thought of THAT.

Shows how much damage a torpedo can do?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I want to say that i dont think this oil thing is real. I think its a lie, why? I dont know of anyone who has seen any oil slicks anywhere and further more, the word is that this may have been a psy Op, like 9/11.

Reason? I dont know.

Not relevant to the OPs thread, but i had to find a place to say it.

Do some research.

This may be the Mother of all conspiracies!!!

if you're looking for conspiracy then look at the nyc attempted bombing.
that one is quite clearly a false-flag to distract from the oil spill.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Can anyone verify what i have heard that the oil is nowhere near land?
People who have gone off shore looking for it cannot find it!!!!!!!!!!

the drilling was done relatively far offshore.

No i'm not insane but i have been doing some research.

What do you think without telling me off?
Thank you.

"Oil spill approaches Louisiana"
www.boston.com...

there is about as much evidence for the oil spill as extra-terrestrials.
text, video, audio, pictures.

so for anyone that accepts overwhelming evidence,
would have to agree it is happening.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Description:"Here is the reason / cause behind the US oil spill by British Petroleum in 2010 off the coast of Louisiana in the Gulf of Mexico. George W Bush and Dick Cheney helped block a 2002/03 Bill that would have required the use of acoustic switches to activate the blow out protectors. When the rig blew up, they had to MANUALLY activate the switch by sending submersibles, but, the entire rig collapsed. Because the rig was STILL ATTACHED to the well head / BOP, it bent or damaged the BOP making it unusable. An acoustic switch would have allowed them to IMMEDIATELY stop the well head (activate the BOP) as soon as the explosion happened. Drill Baby, Drill! Spill Baby, Spill. Now, clean it the fock up!"

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by lowki

I know Times Square wreaks of false flag. I'm not easily fooled. I think there IS something fishy with the oil spill, though.
We will have to keep an eye on it, i guess.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Cover-Up Apparently, the government and BP are covering up more than just the leaking oil well today. A new story has emerged blaming the explosion on a methane gas bubble caused by cement stoppers that the rig workers put in the hole to close it up. According to the story, the gas bubble broke the seals and traveled up the column, growing as it proceeded up, then exploding when it hit the floor of the rig. Isn't it amazing how methane gas knows when to explode around humans! The gas must be intelligent enough to know how to follow the column up to the rig and THEN explode! If this story were true, there would not be an oil rig left on the Earth. They all would have exploded. Plus, methane gas would have blown up into a fireball at the BASE of the rig, not traveling all the way up to the floor. Once again, a la 911, a neat little package story has been created for the mindless masses who believe most anything they are told.

News

Good Read?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Here you go DG. I wish it wasn't real but I'm afraid it is. I live on Fla West coast.

Believe me, it is out there. This the calm before a very long storm.

AERIAL IMAGES OF OIL SPILL

[edit on 8-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join