It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
Oh there are estimates of 60000 barrels a day. However, if what this guy says is true, then it is totally irrelevant because ALL 50.000.000 barrels of oil that are thought to exist in this particular oil reservoir will be spilled before they contain it.

50,000,000 barrels is 2.1 BILLION gallons of oil. The worst spill ever was the one Saddam caused during the first Gulf War at around 400 to 500 million gallons, so this would have the potential to be 4 to 5 times as bad just in terms of volume. But it's even worse than that, because most of Saddam's spill was contained within the Persian Gulf. The Gulf of Mexico waters, as we all now know, circulates very quickly down around Florida and then up into the Atlantic, so it won't just stay in one place, it's gonna get spread around the whole ocean.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
WTF? Are you 14? "Dump a bunch of this chemical?" Nevermind.

Originally posted by unityemissions
I think we need a chemist to figure out what reacts well with oil and not water. Find something that will harden the oil so that it creates it's own seal for the hole. Dump a bunch of this chemical all around the spill until it's over with. Not sure what can do this, though.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by Haydn_17
It would be heart breaking for the Oceans to die because of us. Humanity should bow its head in shame.

Well look on the bright side. Humans did it and they will die if it dies so, in truth they will be punished for it.

Why do you say they? This is a tragic accident, no one deserves to die.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

I think we need a chemist to figure out what reacts well with oil and not water. Find something that will harden the oil so that it creates it's own seal for the hole. Dump a bunch of this chemical all around the spill until it's over with. Not sure what can do this, though.

Yep, dump a bunch of a chemical. I'm 27, and got straight A's in all the math's and science classes I ever took. I might not speak right all the time, but this doesn't mean I'm dumb.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Pertinent information if anyone is interested. I usually don't play "Blame Game" but I am fuming.

Oil Pollution Act of 1990

The law stated that companies must have a "plan to prevent spills that may occur" and have a "detailed containment and cleanup plan" for oil spills.

Source

Details of Act

BP didn't plan for major oil spill

British Petroleum downplayed the possibility of a catastrophic accident at an offshore rig that exploded, causing the worst U.S. spill in decades along the Gulf coast and endangering shoreline habitat.

In the 52-page exploration plan and environmental impact analysis, BP repeatedly suggested it was unlikely, or virtually impossible, for an accident to occur that would lead to a giant crude oil spill and serious damage to beaches, fish, mammals and fisheries.

Source

A request from U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Sarasota, for an investigation into why British Petroleum received a waiver from conducting a detailed environmental impact report at the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was granted Thursday by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

The industry has many times assured me that something like this could never happen and here we are.

Source

Apparently they had lobbied heavily to avoid (Acoustic shut off valve) due to cost ($500K) and were supposed to be "self-regulated." Pure BS. (Not to be confused with BOP which failed.)

More on Safety Valve

[edit on 9-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
There isnt even enough oil in that reserve where if it ALL leaked out that it would destroy all the oceans on the planet. I dont know where folks get this stuff.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I spoke to my son in Florida and he says the sky is already looking "reddish"
:shk:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
@lowki

I have redone your calculation as follows :

50'000'000 barrels x 149 l per barrel = 7'450'000'000 liters

7'450'000'000 liters : 1.000 liters per m3 or to = 7'450'000 m3 or to

7'450'000 m3 or to : (1'000x1'000x1'000 m per km3) = 0,00745 km3.

So the 50 million barrels correspond to 1/134 of the volume of
1 km3 !

So we are talking here of a drop in the ocean until after the
complete depletion of the oil reservoir !

Now if we assume the prompted depth of 250m from the surface
of all oceans, the calculation would be as follows :

361'132'000 km2 of ocean surface x 0,25 km depth =

90'283'000 km3

Therefore:

90'283'000 km3 : 0,00745 km3 = 12'118'523'489,9

So it takes 12 billion times the volume of the total spill to
fill the first 250m of all oceans or about ten times (?) as
much to fill all oceans from top to bottom.

If somebody wants to make the calculation of the volume
of oil necessary to biologically pollute a certain amount of
volume, go ahead.

As we can all see, in no way has Doom´s Day arrived !

In addition, the pressure behind the oil spilling out would
by the law of physics steadily be decreasing, correspondingly
reducing the daily volume.

I don´t understand, however, why BP or your government
would not be publishing the above figures, given the huge
number of people in this forum or in the populace greatly
concerned about the proportions of the spill.

Please, check on my figures.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Because the goverment are evil slags

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

Yep, dump a bunch of a chemical. I'm 27, and got straight A's in all the math's and science classes I ever took. I might not speak right all the time, but this doesn't mean I'm dumb.

unityemissions, your idea's not without merit, but time constraints as well as the pressure vs flow rate would impede any effort like that. Interesting idea, though.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
+++ UPDATE ++++

As of 3:30 EST

GULF OF MEXICO - Crews planned Sunday to park the giant oil containment box on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, and offload equipment that could be used in a new attempt to stem the flow of gushing into the sea.

The equipment to be offloaded from another vessel would use a tube to shoot mud and concrete directly into the well's blowout preventer, a process that could take two to three weeks. But BP PLC spokesman Mark Proegler said no decisions have been made on what step the company will take next.

The company was considering several options, including the technique known as a "top kill," Proegler said.

Source

So basically, the box didn't work and they are still scratching their heads. No clear indication of next step.
Meanwhile "Rome burns."

I realize a lot of conspiracy theories are flying around, but it appears to me they are taking a "linear" approach to solving this problem. i.e. This didn't work, lets think about it and try another approach. Seems like they should be "multi-tasking" and concurrently have Simultaneous Plans B through Z ready to go.

I've yet to entertain some of the wild theories out there but starting to wonder about delay.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The earth has a natural filter and they are called Marsh Lands. Every high and low tide cycle has its waters "filtered" by Marsh Lands. Sediments within the water get deposited here. Bacteria eats bacteria. If Oil is to over take a area of Marsh Land not only will that be destroyed but the Marsh Lands will release all of the toxic material it has already filtered from the oceans!:flame, which will be an environmental catastrophe in itself.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SneakAPeek
The earth has a natural filter and they are called Marsh Lands. Every high and low tide cycle has its waters "filtered" by Marsh Lands. Sediments within the water get deposited here. Bacteria eats bacteria. If Oil is to over take a area of Marsh Land not only will that be destroyed but the Marsh Lands will release all of the toxic material it has already filtered from the oceans!:flame, which will be an environmental catastrophe in itself.

THAT CANT BE GOOD ARE U SERIOUS

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Lets just start making a bunch of boats whose engine is fueled by a crude oil/water mixture and tap it directly from the surface and drive them around 24/7 until its all fixed. That way all the carbon ends up in the air like it was supposed to in the first place.I suppose aslot of it would have ended upp as plastic as well, but I think theres plentry of that in the central Pacific and North Atlantic to cover for that.

Seriously though, I am really upset. I volunteered the past few years with a local Bay restoration program that has been cleaning up our local waters as well as adding erosion buffers and whatnot. Figure the regulations put in place during the seventies has definetly helped our local marine ecosystem bounce back, I honestly thought we was on the right path to hand a cleaner land to my children who are already enjoying the waters and the land, and then this happens.

It is as if our civilizations is cursed to always leave our environment in worse condition for the next generation. At least I recycle scrap metal and make a side income doing that. I can think of what else I can do though.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
LETS ASK JESUS

not

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SneakAPeek

The marsh lands don't store the toxins they break them down into base elements like hydrogen and carbon etc. rendering them harmless.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.
@lowki

I have redone your calculation as follows :

50'000'000 barrels x 149 l per barrel = 7'450'000'000 liters

it's actually 159 litre's by www.google.ca...

7'450'000'000 liters : 1.000 liters per m3 or to = 7'450'000 m3 or to

the contaminated concentration is 1 part-per-million

1 ml is a cm3 en.wikipedia.org...

100cm*100cm*100cm = 1,000,000cm^3

so 1ml per m3

7'450'000 m3 or to : (1'000x1'000x1'000 m per km3) = 0,00745 km3.

So the 50 million barrels correspond to 1/134 of the volume of
1 km3 !

so you've calculated how much oil there is!
congratulations.

but we already knew that in litres...

Now if we assume the prompted depth of 250m from the surface
of all oceans, the calculation would be as follows :

361'132'000 km2 of ocean surface x 0,25 km depth =

90'283'000 km3

Therefore:

90'283'000 km3 : 0,00745 km3 = 12'118'523'489,9

So it takes 12 billion times the volume of the total spill to
fill the first 250m of all oceans or about ten times (?) as
much to fill all oceans from top to bottom.

That's if you were going to replace all the water in the oceans with oil.

Oil floats so it would actually form a film over the top of the ocean.
reducing the amount of light that goes through,
and affecting anything that contacts the surface.

dolphins, whales, flying fish, birds, sharks, seals.

sure the deep water fish will be fine.
they don't require sunlight.

Please, check on my figures.

sure thing :-)

have a wonderful learning experience.

*hugs* love and harmony

[edit on 9-5-2010 by lowki]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by lowki]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Lets just start making a bunch of boats whose engine is fueled by a crude oil/water mixture and tap it directly from the surface and drive them around 24/7 until its all fixed.

You are a genius!! The US Navy is working on a fleet that can be powered by seawater! Whatif they can't ake it work without 1ppm of hydrocarbon?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

The Seventh seal

Rev 8:1 ¶ And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.

Rev 8:2 And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.

Rev 8:3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer [it] with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.

Rev 8:4 And the smoke of the incense, [which came] with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

Rev 8:5 And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast [it] into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake.

Rev 8:6 And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.

Rev 8:7 ¶ The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

Rev 8:8 ¶ And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;

Rev 8:9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

Rev 8:10 ¶ And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

Rev 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Rev 8:12 ¶ And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gregchandler

No trumpets sounded yet! And the trees - first trumpet - get burned up before the sea - second trumpet - gets his. Nothing happened yet, which means the worst is to come.

mclinking

<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join