It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Government is not the solution to the problem. Government IS the problem."

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The business of government is specifically to accumulate power. That's really it. Part of that power is then sold to the highest bidder, part of it is spent on immediate needs and part of it is re-invested into the business of accumulating more power. It's just like any other business, except that power is the medium of exchange.

Government attracts, by its nature, people with an unhealthy fixation on power. That is really the reason that government power always expands-- those who make up the government are never content with the power they have and always want more, and more, and more.

The notion that without government oversight we would be at the mercy of monopolistic corporations is a scary story told to impressionable leftists to win their support for ever-expanding government power, just as the notion that without government oversight we would be awash in a sea of perversion and filth, or that we would all be goose stepping and seig heiling are scary stories told to impressionable right-wingers to win their support.

The truth is that free people make of the world what they will, while people under the control of an invasive government are made to accept the world that that government dictates. A government given the power to define the world that we must accept will never do so, no matter how much we might wish, according to our desires, but only according to theirs. They might be able to twist things in such a way as to convince some among the people that they actually have their best interests at heart, and with effective propaganda they can certainly get people to believe that they're at least better than the alternatives, but the fact remains that they WILL do that which benefits themselves and their patrons, even, ironically, if those patrons are the very corporations or purveyors of filth or agents of oppression that so many have been indoctrinated into fearing so.

Those who seek to wield power are the enemies of all of us, regardless of who they are or who they specifically target. Those who seek to justify that quest for power, regardless of their nominal "side" and regardless of the purposes for which they want that power to be used or the people they want it to be used against, are doing the work of those who would oppress all of us.

Government is indeed the problem-- not this government or that government-- all government.

That's not to say however that government should be eliminated-- it's more in the nature of a necessary evil. But the fact that it is to whatever degree necessary makes it no less evil. Instead, government should be kept as small and powerless as is possible. That was the entire purpose of the Constitution, but muddied as its meaning has become through the focus on our rights rather than government's powers, and deliberately misinterpreted as it has been by power hungry politicians and their patrons, handlers, allies and short-sighted supporters, the Constitution no longer serves as any true barrier to the ever-growing federal government. The only impediment they face now is exactly how much oppression we will tolerate, and that is exactly how much we will have. As we are taught, frightened, misled and indoctrinated into tolerating more, we will have more. Only when, or sadly if we actually stand up and say "No more!" will it halt, or even slow.

Personally I think it's already too late. The nation is too fractured-- its people too deceptively set against each other and its government already too powerful-- for the people to ever assert themselves. I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm afraid the machine already has too much momentum to be stopped. All I or anyone can do is to try to awaken people to the truth in the probably vain hope that, if enough of us come to see that we are not each other's enemies, but that all those who seek to wield power over us are the enemies of all of us, then we might, just might be able to stop them.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It's never too late, the declaration of independance didn't come about too late, nor did the founding of a nation free of excessive control.

The US of A was founded with the principle that a free people can, be a part of a country where less government interference is better.

We as a nation should look back on the Founding Fathers intent, and need to not allow further manipulation from makeing what they set up as a corner stone of this great foundation.

The tools were given to us, and the use or care to use them has fallen. The mind set of modern America is a crippled one, this injury can be healed, but the scar of such should serve as a reminder. To never, let "We the People" become lazy in our responcibilty, to our selves as each other.

More importantly, to the future generations that will inherit what is left. It should be mandatory that what ever is left in their trust, is better than we got it.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Yes, government is not the solution to the problem, but neither is it the real problem. The problem is the lack of individual responsibility for ones own thoughts and mind-state. How many religions, political systems, philosophies have there been, and where are we today? Government is not the problem, each of us has to clean out our own house because the world is and always will be a reflection of the collective consciousness.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Silenceisall]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Very 16th century OP

Might a clued in and enlightened augmentation include that the failure of government is
enacted by those who fund the elections and issue your bills?

tis not the government who initiates this process-

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
It's hard to reply Advisor. What's to say?

You're right of course, the solution is simple and people should just take responsibility for themselves.

But using your own example of Reagen...

What exactly happened under his bootstrap philosophy?

AIDS. Don't be gay. Problem solved. Did that work?

Crack. Just say no. How's the crack problem today as a result?

Government funded Mental Health facilites. They aint that crazy. They could get jobs if they wanted to. Closed them all and created a homeless epidemic among the mentally ill.

And don't get me started on gun control. I fear the whack jobs you want to empower (meaning us) far more than the government.

So let me get this right? So if one person has a mental problem that is surely THEIR problem We must tax 1000 people and so now its their problem too? You left wing nuts have no concept of what is constitutional or not. It's all fine and DANDY when You are on the receiving end of these social programs which the left wing generally is but when You have to pay for them its another problem. Oh but wait We are racist pigs or right wing extremist. Hey here is something new maybe We are fed up with paying taxes so people can continue to leach off and steal from the middle class....

I will go ahead and make a statement if there wasn't any left wing nuts in this country then there wouldn't be any unconstitutional wars. You are the ones that beg for higher taxes which in the end go to the elite corporations and their war machines .... But oh know that can't be true because republicans like corporations and war. Let me tell You what I like I like NO TAXES or taxes that are so small that You libs could afford it and do Your civic duty which most of You don't ever do. The best way to fix the out of control beast is to starve it so liberty will prevail.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkm1864
The best way to fix the out of control beast is to starve it so liberty will prevail.

Hmmm, interesting.

I must ask though, how does one starve a leviathan, that eats every thing?

We have already given most of our income to it, not only through state and federal taxes. It they could tax food and drink they would.

We have already given more than is nessesary, how much more must the people give when congress increases it;s own pay to compensate for the cost of living. When the working class hasn't had a pay increase since Clinton.

They took our money, then took away the jobs which gave that money. Don;t say people can work if they want to, because 680K unemployed people as of this month don't have the out sorced jobs waiting for them.

We can't starve that which is all consuming...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Give me a break . When it comes to the title of the op all the Hedge(SP?) Fund and bank managers were happy to take the risks when things were going well . Once the guts fell out of the property market and credit could no longer pay for credit they all came crying like babies to governments around the world . Subsequently the biggest scam in financial history was undertaken at the expense of tax payers world wide . I don't know who is stupider the banks or the people who owned everything on credit .

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I think you have taken Ronald Reagans words out of context. Yes he said what many here- myself included have claimed. But his intentions were entirely different. He was a corporatists. A fan of an extreme form of laissez-faire economic pioneered by Milton Freidman. Milton Freidman of course was the formulater of Shock Therapy which would require a crisis in order to inact un-pupular economic reforms such as the break down of trade barriers, privitation of state owned companies, the abillity for foreign multinationals to purchase emense amounts of land and resources. These intentions weren't what people call "good". Ronald Reagan like almost every other contemparay U.S president was just another corporate puppet willing to use the U.S treasury in correlation with the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank to force soveriegn countries to adhere to their economic reforms in order to reek massive profits. This happened in Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, China, Russia, Brazil, Bolivia, Indonesia, Thailand and countless others. They all caused imense poverty(Russia went from 2 million people living below the poverty line to 74 million after laissez-faire economic reforms) imense prosecution(Chile, The Shouthern Cone, The Junta) and authoritarianism- which is in-fact big government.

You paint a puppet-leader as a great man. That to me is Historical revisionism in the worst form.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
It has been said many times, but I feel there are still those out there who have not a clue. So I will continue to proceed with this public awareness crusade of mine.

Even if those who are unaware, see it not.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm happy to know that there is a lot of people like me that have this specific type of view towards the government. I sometimes wish people could think like you and me. If people realized how the government truly manipulates us and how much power they have taken from us maybe this world would be a better place, or at least a more fair place to be in. I'm not saying that everything is the governments fault, Its mainly their fault but its also ours because we have allowed so many things to happen through the government. Its time to get our power back, the power that they have lied to give to us for years. People like us need to stand up for what we believe in and demand the truth. Otherwise the government is going to end up downhill.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Stephanie182

Agreed.

Now if just the rest of the population cared enough to bother...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Ronald Reagan

Here we have had probably the greatest president willing to tell it like it is.
He spoke with his own words, writing his own speaches (unlike president of today).

Sorry but this was a far as I got in your pipe-dream reality and Reagan worship.

en.wikipedia.org...

Margaret Ellen "Peggy" Noonan (born September 7, 1950) is an American author of seven books on politics, religion, and culture, and a weekly columnist for The Wall Street Journal. She was a primary speech writer and Special Assistant to President Ronald Reagan and in her political writings is considered a Republican.

www.usnews.com...

Joshua Gilder, a former speech writer for conservative icon Ronald Reagan, says you can't underestimate the importance of the acceptance speech.

articles.latimes.com...

WASHINGTON — President Reagan's speech-writing shop, long considered an ideological hotbed in a White House stacked with political pragmatists, is losing two of its most outspoken proponents of conservatism after months of friction with top officials over the tone and emphasis of the President's speeches.

Chief speech writer Bentley T. Elliott, who had announced plans to join the staff of Rep. Jack Kemp (R-N.Y.) later this year, told friends he was forced to leave his post earlier than he wished by White House Chief of Staff Donald T. Regan.

And according to this article, you can add Peter Robinson and Anthony R. Dolan to the list.

online.wsj.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join