It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's long and round and no longer full seamen? A Submarine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Women to Start Serving on Submarines, but Not Everyone's On Board

Despite concerns from critics over privacy, costs and the possibility of sexual activity, the Navy says it's ready, willing, able, and now ready to put women on submarines. FOXNews' Diane Macedo gets an unprecedented look aboard the USS Alaska to see what hurdles the Navy needed to overcome.

It would appear that the last bastion of gender separation is to be removed as the US Navy plans to integrate female officers into submarine service. But it would seem there are no immediate plans to allow female enlisted to serve aboard.

Submarine service has always been voluntary and there is no mention how this planned change may effect service numbers.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Hell yeah, its about time, and while they are at it they should open up combat units to females to. But none of this double standard crap, one PT score for all genders not the normal gender bias tests.

Are military should move to a more uni-sex type of enviroment not this separte bull crap, shower with the men, share foxholes and firefights with men, Ranger and Spec Ops training with men... Its about damn time.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Like the thread title

Isn't it wonderful! Women can do anything men can do! It is truly a day to be thankful we are humans once again! Feminists should have a strong feeling of empowerment and satisfaction.

I can so not see any problems resulting from this strive for justice. Well maybe a few down the road, but we can hardly find solutions for problems that do not exist - yet.

[edit on 30/4/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Thats all well and good but how many men get raped in the US army?

Substantially smaller than women I imagine..

According to several studies of the US military funded by the Department of Veteran Affairs, 30% of military women are raped while serving, 71% are sexually assaulted, and 90% are sexually harassed.

Until that is sorted out, I can't see any real equality emerging..

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Thats all well and good but how many men get raped in the US army?

Substantially smaller than women I imagine..

According to several studies of the US military funded by the Department of Veteran Affairs, 30% of military women are raped while serving, 71% are sexually assaulted, and 90% are sexually harassed.

Until that is sorted out, I can't see any real equality emerging..

I'm sure this latest announcement will help address the issue. You know, putting women together with men in a stressful environment where there is confined space and restrictions on freedom to move and individuate.

PS: There will never be what you view as "equality" because men and women are not equal. Don't believe me? Look at history, biology, sport and politics.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Some additional great comments from the thread on this yesterday. Funny people here on ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

enjoy

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Men are raped as well, its just not reported. Now until the units are de-segregated there are going to be those problems. Hell how many women our raped out of the military compared to being in the military? I bet you more are raped on the civilain side. One Army one fight. No more bias.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

30% rape figures sound like BS to me - besides - isnt having a gun supposed to protect women from attack ?

if it doesnt work in the army with trained soldiers - how the hell is a gun supposed to protect an untrained civilian

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

My apologies, I missed that thread. Glad to see others are better on the ball

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Dermo

30% rape figures sound like BS to me - besides - isnt having a gun supposed to protect women from attack ?

if it doesnt work in the army with trained soldiers - how the hell is a gun supposed to protect an untrained civilian

Rape is a powerful political tool for the Feminist Lobby. Genuine rape does occur and the victims deserve sympathy and justice. It is just a shame that the survivors of genuine rape are overshadowed by the many cases of alleged rape and alleged sexual harassment. Many of which turn out to be severely lacking in evidence and consistency.

top topics

join