It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proved Conspiracies.Come on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I know there has been talk in the past amongst members about a section on ATS where people could go to see, or talk about conspiracies that have been proven to be true or still true. In other words, REAL LIFE PROVED CONSPIRACIES.

Is there any interest in having a forum for proved conspiracies, besides mine? I mean, we have one for the HOAXs', but nothing for the proven cases.

I would also like to hear what the staff has to say about such a thing.

Thats it.

Edit-Thanks =)

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
maybe the forum topics should be labeled in the parts, hoax, /under inverstigation, plausible/possible and proven...

A bit like the mythbusters approach.

CX

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Like a "Solved" forum, to compliment the Hoax one.

I'd hazard a guess that most would have been solved by ATS members.

I still find it amazing how quick a story can be released, ripped apart and put to rest by the quick and thorough work of our members.

Quite fascinating to watch at times.

CX.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

maybe the forum topics should be labeled in the parts, hoax, /under inverstigation, plausible/possible and proven...
No...just a hoax board (which we already have), and a proven conspiracy board...the rest of the forum gets left as it is...but I imagine moving all proven conspiracy threads to the proven board would be quite a time consuming task, finding and determining which threads deal with real conspiracies would take time, and perhaps that's why it hasn't been done...

EDIT: I had an idea...maybe instead of the flag system, or even complimentary to the flag system, we could have another way of rating threads. The idea is simple. If a user believes the conspiracy has been solved, they can click on either a "hoax", or a "real" button. If the thread receives enough "real" hits from users, it then undergoes final scrutiny by a member(s) of staff, and finally a conclusion is made, and the thread is moved to either the hoax section, or the real conspiracy section.

[edit on 30/4/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The forum is not only about conspiracy theories, it also facilitates discussion on 'alternative topics' and a lot of the time there are no elements of conspiracy involved. I don't see how what you're proposing would work exactly. Isn't the whole point of a thread to allow for discussion and variation in opinion? By making a board for 'proven' conspiracies, isn't it almost like someone else is making your mind up for you? I think we agree why the hoax forum is in existence, blatantly fallacious information should be labeled as such, but labeling something as 'proven' rally wouldn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I think we agree why the hoax forum is in existence, blatantly fallacious information should be labeled as such, but labeling something as 'proven' rally wouldn't make sense.
So how does science work then? Science is based in information and theories that are claimed as fact through research and peer-review...if we can't get to the bottom of a conspiracy (fake or real), then why do we even bother researching and discussing them?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Who said we can or can't get to the bottom of a conspiracy? All I'm trying to say is that not all threads are based on conspiracies and introducing labels simply wouldn't work, not just for that reason but for others aswell.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

All I'm trying to say is that not all threads are based on conspiracies and introducing labels simply wouldn't work, not just for that reason but for others aswell.
So how then does a hoax board work...it's the same thing, just for hoaxes instead of real conspiracies...next reason?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
it would just be a Proven conspiracy section.
And I know not everything is not a conspiracy, but thats not what this is about.
Its about having a small little section of threads to which the members on this board picked as proven conspiracy theories.

it may be a hard task though as another poined out, which to make false and which not.

Another point I want to make that I didnt in my OP was that so many threads come and go on this site, but we forget about alot of them because theres so much madness in the world its hard to keep up, so a section with proven conspiracies BY ATS members and others a like would be kick ass if you as me.

But I understand it would probably be really difficult.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

That doesn't make sense... at all.

The hoax forum is for threads where the information presented has been purposely created to mislead and misdirect someone.

So what exactly is the point you are trying to get across? With every thread posted we must attach a 'proved' or 'hoax' tag to its name? If any thread gets 'proven' whats the point of moving it to a separate forum? Again though, not every thread has a conspiracy angle, many are just discussing alternative topics.

I honestly don't get what you're proposing.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If it is not moved to HOAX! then it is likely already proven to be true or still in the process of being proven or disproven (discussion still going on). I think that solves it

Plus as others have said - more than just conspiracies are posted. Most stuff posted is considered Alternative News

edit on April 30th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by Grey Magic

EDIT: I had an idea...maybe instead of the flag system, or even complimentary to the flag system, we could have another way of rating threads. The idea is simple. If a user believes the conspiracy has been solved, they can click on either a "hoax", or a "real" button. If the thread receives enough "real" hits from users, it then undergoes final scrutiny by a member(s) of staff, and finally a conclusion is made, and the thread is moved to either the hoax section, or the real conspiracy section.

How about instead of people chosing a button that says that - a member responds with some research and well thought out ideas and/or evidence of why something is hoax or not

edit on April 30th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It would streamline our considerations; I think compilations of the "best" proofs are in order, and would make good abeit tedius work, but then again that is also part of our challenge to write good posts too. Ifeel that everything brought forward is also under the tedius implication by many to consist of the most current information. Should we just be taking more time to research past threads as part of our posts?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Hmm, I was with you at first - it would be good to be able to see the proven conspiracies. The first thread I ever read on here was about conspiracy theories which had been proven to be true; it was very interesting, and there were several things I'd never heard of, and things I didn't know had been conspiracy theories at all.

However, who decides what is proven and what is not. For some, 9/11 is proven to have been a conspiracy of some sort, while other say it is proven to have been exactly what we are told is was.

I think i saw someone say that members should vote on it - just because the majority say something is proven doesn't make it so. What if 51% say its proven and 49% say it isn't?

That said, there are some things which can be proven. To take an example from that thread I mentioned - the manhatten project. The thread said that was a conspiracy theory, which few believed was real, and then suddenly we had the A-bomb and it was shown to have been true the entire time.

So there are pros and cons of this idea, for me. Though I don't agree with ol' green eyes above me that it not being in the hoax section shows that it might be proven. That's quite missing the point, I think.

All-in-all, I think it is a good idea, but would be very difficult to implement properly and would cause a lot of arguments and angry U2Us to the moderators.

top topics

join