It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Facts About the Average Brain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

5) Alcohol interferes with brain processes by weakening connections between neurons.

It does SO!!

I mean, uhh wait..

Oh..

30) Our brain often fools us. It often perceives things differently from the reality. Look at those pictures. Square A and B are actually the same shade of gray.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73bd8ff1c115.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f53eb0b59e91.png[/atsimg]

That one will forever confound me. I see it, but I cannot see it. I've looked it at for years, and only when I load it into psp can I see it is true.

Amazing..

Cheers!!

Oh and thats with a beer too

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ibex08
:O well aint that interesting, and also does anyone know how much of the brain we actually do use?

Ok scratch that last question it was answered on the website lol

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Ibex08]

All of it. It does more than what we want - it works in different areas depending on what we are doing.. A lot of it is for subconscious functions too.

If we use 100% of our brain all of the time, we'd basically feel like we're on acid.

Too much information bogging us down. We'd be like mindless savants - able to know and recall, but not able to function or interpret.

Our brains allow us to use what we need, when we need it. BUT what we need when we need it is the problem, and that's why we feel we don't use it all. Perhaps the claim should be we don't use 100% of what we NEED of our brain.

Pressing every button on a keyboard is using a keyboard 100% yet results in a pointless effort. Same thing. Yet some people prefer to use less than required when using a keyboard and resort to txt speech, lol, u c wot i mean, rite? making it just as pointless in my opinion.

We get out what effort we give. We're not limited by our brains. Only our intent.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
atnoehr naet tcirk, our biarn rdaes wdros, not lretets, so taht is why you can raed tihs psot....

Is why I can what?

Stop it, you'll make us grammar nazis feel bad...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
I totally didn't believe that A & B were the same. Even though the other posters did it, I had to test it in paint!

Anyone know the mechanism behind this? I'm assuming it has to do with the big green cylinder...

Lighter shades cause an already dark image to appear dark while a darker shade cause the opposite effect on the same image.

Our brains compensate. It considers the lighter shade to mean the image is darker, compared to the darker shaded image.

Yes Im confused now too, even tho I know what I mean!!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simple Life

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by Gazrok

Ah that's one of my favourite ones.

Actually try reading this as if you was reading it normally and see how easy it actually is and how it proves that we really don't read the entire word.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at

Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a

wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer

be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll

raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not

raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!
(Source)

I can read it faster than normal text, so the question would be:
How can I improve my reading speed? Why do I have to read every word "out loud" in my head when a guess gets the job done just fine.

Crikey Im spamming

You dont have to read each word out thats the thing - this proves it. Your brain already sees it, but you conciousness wants to challenge it, so you read it in your mind.

Thats how speed reading works. You don't read every word, you see them and you pick it up.

Funny how we do that...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If you guys want some fun quantum brain stuff, check this out:

Science considers your brain to be the center of consciousness, but it is not. The brain, the highest ordered neurological group they can see, is filled with a complex synapse. Therefore, it must be responsible for what is called Human consciousness. It is not. The brain is only the 3D engine that responds to the 90 percent quantumness of DNA. It is the engine of the synapse and it's vastly complicated. But the brain is only the receiver of information to create electrical signals that do as they are instructed, as influenced by the DNA.

One hundred trillion parts of DNA working together communicate as one. Did you realize that? Science doesn't know how this happens, and the communication link from your head to your toe somehow has one purpose. Is that your brain? No. It's the DNA all together, creating the Human Being. DNA "knows." It all works together. This isn't something you are going to find in the medical books, but it completes a large missing link that science gives no credibility towards. DNA communicates with itself! It has one "mind" and it "knows" what is happening in every part of your body.

The new information is that DNA provides a "field" around you that is interdimensional. That field is your consciousness, not your brain. That which your brain does is in tandem with the DNA. Your brain dreams... or does it? The synapse is there to show it, and in your deepest REM sleep, out comes so many complex things. Those things are all in your DNA, supplied to your brain. So the DNA even supplies instructions and influence to your brain's dream activity for you. These things are difficult to explain, since we are not speaking about linear things, but that which is quantum.

lightworkers.org...

Fun reading when you've finally had enough box style education.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Yet complete and utter nonsense....fanciful tales and myths pale in comparison to the wonders of science. Email that to any neurosurgeon and you will understand why.... Oh and great thread OP, the chessboard is imo the greatest realization of human understanding, we can understand how such things occur through science, but comprehending it is entirely different. Simply because of our biology...we are both limited and yet fulfilled by our mind, it's a great accomplishment no matter how you look at it

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

You're cute. It's only nonsense because you are looking at it from a boxy, 3D view.

Everyone comes around sometime!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Well...i doubt i will see anything which conforms to the "lightworkers" point of view in the near future. But your cute too, never enough sincere compliments to go around in the world!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Optical Illusions huh. Might as well ad some more.

That one is just... Wow though.

Just give the cross a stare.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/25ea3d000bdf.gif[/atsimg]

This one is my favorite. Move your face closer and then further away from the screen. You get the illusion that the object is real and it changes as your perspective changes. This of course is a lie.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
You are now aware facts 8 and 12 are exactly the same - nah nah, that was too obvious.

Anyhows, I have a question about #14:

14) The old adage of humans only using 10% of their brain is not true. Every part of the brain has a known function.

True, every part may have a function, but we don't actually use all of it when we are, say, typing a letter, do we? If we only used around 10% of it while doing specific tasks, then the old saying is true, then again, I don't know what the average (if there is even one) percentage is..

[edit on 1-5-2010 by daniel_g]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join