It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Facts About the Average Brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
You learn something new every day it seems.

..So anyway I stumbled across this small list of facts and thought some here may find it quite interesting and enlightening and it at least deserves its own thread.

So here you go.

....Enjoy!

1) There are no pain receptors in the brain, so the brain can feel no pain.

2) The human brain is the fattest organ in the body and may consists of at least 60% fat.

3) Neurons develop at the rate of 250,000 neurons per minute during early pregnancy.

4) Humans continue to make new neurons throughout life in response to mental activity.

5) Alcohol interferes with brain processes by weakening connections between neurons.

30) Our brain often fools us. It often perceives things differently from the reality. Look at those pictures. Square A and B are actually the same shade of gray.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73bd8ff1c115.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f53eb0b59e91.png[/atsimg]

(Click Here)

Isn't learning fun.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 29/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Cool thread! Interesting stuff, thanks for putting it together.

I find it funny when people run around saying things like "imagine if we used more then 10% of our brain!".

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The last picture is amazing... I was using paint to test if it's true or not... It's true !
I even can't trust in my gray matter !

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Wow, I didn't believe A and B were the same shades of Grey, so I put it into Photoshop, Guess What? .....

They are BOTH RGB (120, 120, 120)

I just got fooled by my noggin,

Eidt to Add: LOL, Terviseks beat me to it - At least I know I wasn't the only doubting Thomas

[edit on 29-4-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Terviseks

reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Star for making my day with those posts. lol

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
:O well aint that interesting, and also does anyone know how much of the brain we actually do use?

Ok scratch that last question it was answered on the website lol

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Ibex08]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Great stuff!

I have just begun reading Tom Kenyon's brain research. Really awesome insights! I've been reading his site for some time now, but I hadn't read some of the research articles. Wow. Also, the connection between science and mysticysm becomes quite clear when you really get into it.

tomkenyon.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
atnoehr naet tcirk, our biarn rdaes wdros, not lretets, so taht is why you can raed tihs psot....

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Ah that's one of my favourite ones.

Actually try reading this as if you was reading it normally and see how easy it actually is and how it proves that we really don't read the entire word.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at

Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a

wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer

be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll

raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not

raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!
(Source)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is really cool! Thanks for posting this!!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
now that last reply looks like a reply I would make .
fuinny

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I totally didn't believe that A & B were the same. Even though the other posters did it, I had to test it in paint!

Anyone know the mechanism behind this? I'm assuming it has to do with the big green cylinder...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by Gazrok

Ah that's one of my favourite ones.

Actually try reading this as if you was reading it normally and see how easy it actually is and how it proves that we really don't read the entire word.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at

Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a

wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer

be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll

raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not

raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!
(Source)

I can read it faster than normal text, so the question would be:
How can I improve my reading speed? Why do I have to read every word "out loud" in my head when a guess gets the job done just fine.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
I totally didn't believe that A & B were the same. Even though the other posters did it, I had to test it in paint!

Anyone know the mechanism behind this? I'm assuming it has to do with the big green cylinder...

You know I just posted a lengthy explanation, and the ATS server kicked me out, and now I lost the entire post - IN FACT it bumped me to BTS and I had to sign in - WTF? NOW my reply is in ATS again? Cheese and Rice, did I miss something??

Let's try again...

You are correct that the big green cylinder has something to do with it. It is shaded in a way (dark on the left, light on the right) to give the illusion of a light source from the top right.

In fact, the darker squares that centre the "B" are actually very light on their corners BUT darker on their inner "lines" as such, thus creating an optical illusion. RGB on lines range from 63 to 59, creating an illusion.

Don't worry, my "brain" is still confused.

Edited to add: My question is this? If Psychologists use paintings and drawings to judge and build up a persona on a person, how accurate are they?? (BTW - I've copied this text now, in case it disappears again
)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Any idea what's the capacity? I assume it's Terabytes?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Those last pictures make me question what i see and hear, is what it is...

This can explain mental disorders in the fact that, what they hallucinate isn't actually real but it is to them.

It goes to show how much we beleive in our own perception and how powerful our brain's grip has over us and illustrating true reality.

What a crazy ass world we 'perceive'.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by jonnyc55]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cybernet
Any idea what's the capacity? I assume it's Terabytes?

Virtually limitless, as we literally do learn something new every day. Every experience we have is remembered in some way, whether you can recall it or not, so basically you remember almost everything from every day of your life, which is how hypnotic regression works. It opens up the mind to allow access to these usually blocked memories. If you need more space for data, your brain produces more neurons.

Although, as stated in the website, you do lose neurons too, which is probably why you forget stuff if you don't use it regularly.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Having always had trouble with spelling , I thought I may have been a little dyslexic.

Now, after seeing this post, I don't feel so bad about my problems with the written word.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
On a lighter note.

If any of you would be interested to check out a means of really increasing your abliity to rapidly learn and retain critical information you might try a technique which is used by the military. Those who have served may recognise this but may not have known what was happening at the time.

There is a direct connection between the body and brain which is "supercharged" during times of great stress. When placed under extreme physical pressures, the brain will respond by accepting and retaining information which could be useful in handling similar events in the future. In order to take advantage of this, military trainers push their charges near the point of exhaustion physically and then require them to go through some mental excercises which are, almost always, done under even more stress. ie. Standing in a dark cold room, while dripping wet with sweat, they show you a film and ask a lot of questions about it.

You would be amazed at just how much information you will find impossible to forget.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
very interesting and thanks for posting

me too checking it under photoshop to make sure the thread starter did not lie

ok, after some experiment, the green tube has nothing to do with our brain perception as you can see here

it is the specially darken square around the square 'B' that makes it "looks" lighter than square 'A'

anymore brain teaser guys..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join