It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I watch mostly The History Channel, Nat. Geo, Discovery and HGTV. My weekly shows are Fringe and American Idol. Please don't flame me for admitting I watch Idol! This is my last season I swear!!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Its been nearly four years for me
But i do get to watch rugby games all the time, because i work in a sportsclub
GO THE DRAGONS!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I admit that I watch a lot of TV. There are many shows I really enjoy as entertainment. Im in school taking very heavy courses (major: criminal forensics/criminal justice; minor; us intelligence). I do so much heavy reading, that I find TV a great source of relaxation for me. I maintain nearly a 4.0 so TV does not make me stoopid...at all.

I think it all depends on the person viewing it, not the TV and its programming. I do not believe TV can make you stupid....unless you have no other source of information entering your mind: reading, conversations with others, ATS (
and other sources of information and learning) then that would mean you are probably stoopid already

[edit on April 29th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here's a question: So many people in this topic seem to have the urge to tell they now read books instead of watching TV and i've seen that a in a whole lot other topics on ATS.
Why?
What's so great about books, when they can you dumb-down the same way TV does and while TV can at least be a social thing (Watching with friends/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife), books are nothing more than an instrument to socially isolate people. Really, i've never seen two people reading the same book at the same time and talk about it while reading. Discussions about books are sparse.
So, what's so much better about books than say a good movie or TV Show? Especially if you watch it with friends?!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
After rereading my reply earlier, I have to admit something.

First, there's nothing like having a Cat 4/5 hurricane kick the crap out of your infrastructure (and your life) for 4 months to break a person from TV addiction. That happened to us and this little island in November of 2008.

And now, the admission (what a build-up, huh?) It was a happier day in this household, when I fiberglassed and repaired the 6-foot satellite dish and got our sat-TV back on line than the day Cayman Brac Power & Light hooked up my new underground power.

The happiest day of all, though, was the day after the hurricane, when we collectively discovered, to our amazement and joy, that not one single person had been killed by the 'cane.

The second happiest day was when Cable & Wireless (now L.I.M.E.) hooked up our new underground phone line, and we could once again surf the beloved 'net! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! My first stop was Wunderground, and second was here, at good ol' ATS.

Just an aside -- my Bride was fine with not knowing what was going on in the outside world for 4 months. Peaceful, even. Me, on the other hand, I imagined worse than was actually happening, and if not for cell-phone contact with one of my foilhead friends in the U.S., I might've gone seriously nutter. er.

So yeah, since that time, we pretty much choose when to watch TV, rather than have the damn thing on all the time. Plus, having recently gone solar/wind power, we both feel stingy about those 135 watts the TV draws.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I haven't watched TV since we moved into our new house about four years ago. And I feel better for it.

Oh I lie, I did watch a couple of episodes of Heroes once..

Nowadays I'm more than happy to wait until the interesting programs turn up on DVD

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
You mean the "Boob Tube", "The Idiot Box", no way man,,,I've been "on the wagon" for years now. I still like the History, Science and Discovery Channel stuff. But all of us ATSers know even those channels are suspect. I agree with the OP,,,its like being bombarded with idiot missles.There is rarely any substance or value in the shows.Remember shows that had a "moral" to the story,,,,HA!!!!They want us dumb, they "TEL lIes through VISION" and theres a science behind this that is precise and effective.Remember EDUTAINMENT, forget ENTERTAINMENT!!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Also worth noting ....

As mentioned on the last page , I cut my cable a few years ago . About a month ago I had the cable company call me up to offer " the deal of a life time " , or so they thought anyway. When I told the lady that I didn't want cable and had no desire to watch TV she just couldn't understand what I was telling her . To her she was offering a deal that " anyone " would jump all over and for me to turn it down she was stunned and didn't know what to say . Her reaction mixed with her long pause was kinda funny

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Where we live changed my TV viewing habits. We only got 2 or 3 channels for years. I only watch a few programs.

The problem seems to be my hubby. He has complete control of our TV and doesn't even realize he's doing it. He will mindlessly turn from what I'm watching on one of my three channels, science channel, NatGeo or NASA TV and he will stop on a commercial. He says he's just going through the channels but he will end up on a commercial every damn time. I can't stand this I'll just get up and do something else. I won't play channel wars.

With our basic direct pkg I miss The Daily Show and the new South Park episodes. Our internet connection doesn't allow us to watch anything longer than short videos. I guess TV has its place my hubby likes the mindlessness of it all. He admits he likes watching stupid people. I don't really get it I see enough of that at work.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
I am 49 years old and grew up on T.V. but for some reason, in the last 5 years or so i have not been able to sit in front of the T.V. and watch anything longer than , say 30 mins with out feeling like i am being shot at with" stupid" missiles.
So ATS'rs, my question is..do you watch T.V. and if so, how does it make you feel?
thoughts?

edit for wife help

[edit on 29-4-2010 by baddmove]

LOL mate you are not alone, i am 24 years of age and dont watch TV anymore unless i tune into something that i feel like specifically watching IE: on discovery channel or certain program i might like. I do believe that this is not a age thing, in the 90's to late 2000's i could watch most TV, family oriented, decent movies and DECENT SITCOMS!
Now Tv is rubbish, so its not a illusion, nor are we "Getting sick" of watching TV, it is LITERALLY getting worse. I not sure if this is there agenda or what the "Government" are trying to do, however if they are trying to dumb the people down further i do believe it is backfiring because the majority of people i know have given up on TV.
But then again thats my own circle of people i know, who are more intuned with knowledge, so the general populace could be a whole diff thing, i do believe that people still watch TV and are being brainwashed and conditioned to see the world in a linear sence. Time to wake up if you havent already!

Just my 2 cents

That is all!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I physically removed the TV from my house, a few months ago.

It actually has increased my quality of life dramatically.

My wife says she is happier without it as well.

See my thread about the removal of my TV here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
We've made the decision last summer to cancel all our programs completely. We didn't watch a whole lot anyway and what was the tip of the iceberg for me back then, was when they started to show a preview for a new show called " dance your ass off". I seriously was shocked about how low have we come as a civilization, that we call something like this entertainment and give a show a title like this and announcing it loudly throughout the day, for little ears to hear.
Not to speak of the nonsense they call educational kid's shows these days.

We have never regretted our decision. My son is allowed to watch the occasional Dvd I approve of.

Due to a relocation, we have been in an extended stay hotel with 3(!!!) TVs in our little suite for 2 weeks now. We did use them, and were soo turned off. My son instantly started demanding watching TV first thing in the morning and asks numerous times throughout the day for it. He throws a fit if he doesn't get it every time (which I don't care).
We are very proud of the fact, how we raise our kids shielding them from all this and other crap (for now at least). My son is 4 and when we drive by a Mcdonalds and I ask him what is that, he has no clue. And I which for this to stay this way as long as possible. If he was to watch TV, even without ever having sat a foot into McDonalds, I am certain he'd know and scream: " I WANT A HAPPY MEAL!" from the back seat.

No thanks. We are not intending of getting TV services back in our new house. Keep your stupid-the-nation program!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Just to add, movies and sitcoms in the late 80's to 90's were so good compared to the movies now days, even 90's cartoons! everything now is just crappy only made to make money, back then people put there heart into there projects. shame isnt it.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I haven't turned on the systematic mindfck portal voluntarily in almost a year. I pick up a book, listen to harmonious music, and tune into my own reality. I can live without television Programming.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
As I read the responses I am a bit surprised by all the people who accuse those who watch TV as stupid and being dumbed down. Or TV causing this. When it must lie with the person and their environment.

Again an avid TV watcher, I maintain on average 3.8 GPA taking very hard and heavy courses. I am far from dumbed down or stupid. Everyone I personally know (IRL) watches TV and are professional people with college degrees, many having multiple degrees. They are far from dumbed down and stupid.

I even let my daughter (6) watch TV (in moderation) and she may be entering accelerated courses next year because she is just that smart.

To each their own. Everything in moderation.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
i didn't participate in the digital switch...
so we download choice television shows (like dexter, true blood, sesame street, captain planet) lol
but we don't have television programming. at first i missed soap operas *LOL* and the news, but now i will admit i only miss my soaps a tiny bit and i am THANKING HEAVENS we do not watch the lame news anymore...what a waste of time.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serafina
We've made the decision last summer to cancel all our programs completely. We didn't watch a whole lot anyway and what was the tip of the iceberg for me back then, was when they started to show a preview for a new show called " dance your ass off". I seriously was shocked about how low have we come as a civilization, that we call something like this entertainment and give a show a title like this and announcing it loudly throughout the day, for little ears to hear.
Not to speak of the nonsense they call educational kid's shows these days.

We have never regretted our decision. My son is allowed to watch the occasional Dvd I approve of.

Due to a relocation, we have been in an extended stay hotel with 3(!!!) TVs in our little suite for 2 weeks now. We did use them, and were soo turned off. My son instantly started demanding watching TV first thing in the morning and asks numerous times throughout the day for it. He throws a fit if he doesn't get it every time (which I don't care).
We are very proud of the fact, how we raise our kids shielding them from all this and other crap (for now at least). My son is 4 and when we drive by a Mcdonalds and I ask him what is that, he has no clue. And I which for this to stay this way as long as possible. If he was to watch TV, even without ever having sat a foot into McDonalds, I am certain he'd know and scream: " I WANT A HAPPY MEAL!" from the back seat.

No thanks. We are not intending of getting TV services back in our new house. Keep your stupid-the-nation program!

What is wrong with a child being aware of things around him? My daughter who is now 6 knows about McDonalds and tons of other things and she doesnt throw a fit to get a Happy Meal or anything else.

If I tell her "no you can not watch TV right now" she does not throw a fit. She understands that there is time for it and time to be without it.

It is not the fault of TV and what is seen on it. It is the fault of parents who dont communicate with their kids and set limits and rules. Communication and moderation is key. All just my opinion of course.

Shielding kids from the world, including what McDonald's is, will not always work. Especially when they turn 18 and realize there is an entire world out there they were not allow to see. I know. My brothers and I had this happen after 18 years of being shielded from the world. Sometimes extreme restriction can cause a person to react in the opposite manner in which we want.

My daughter watched all the presidential stuff with me and got a feel for the process and learned what a President is and so on. Many times TV can be great learning experiences for kids - if you as a parent sit with them and talk about . I will never shield my kid from the world - even bad stuff - because I will sit and talk with them about it. She watched the whole Haiti thing unfold and it sparked her to want to donate and help the peopel of Haiti. All at the age of 5!

Anyways, with that said....to each their own. Everyone has to do what is right for them and their family

[edit on April 29th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
There is never anything on *sigh*

Seriously, I remember when I was growing up I used to have all these shows I just couldn't miss, but now I think pretty much all the new shows are crap.

I can honestly say I watch two hours of t.v. a week, because there are only two shows that I like to watch. And when it isn't a new eppisode, I dont watch anything at all.

The internet is much more entertaining.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
After about 2002, we had tapered down to the point that we only watched the Law & Orders, baseball & Nash Bridges, then we got into rescue and it became common for us to just forget about it until after the shows were already over. We finally cancelled our cable about the time the reality shows started (what year was that?) Now we watch a video/ dvd about 3 to 5 times a year.

I wouldn't mind watching tv once in a while if there was something on that was fit to watch. I have always done something else (sewing, mainly) while I was watching tv. lol DH likes to sleep- so I'm not sure where that leaves him.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The only TV i ever watch now is South Park, Tosh.0, John Stewart and Colbert Report. After discovering how the "real" news and reality shows manipulate our decisions and believes on a certain situation with its soundtracks, its best to just shut everything off, because its all fake folks, its not real. One thing i did notice... when you don't watch TV as often as others do, you seem to start being treated differently for not knowing on whats going on with Tiger Woods love life or weather or not Joe is gonna win this season of American Idol. TV seems to take control over the population, and those who don't flow with the current have to bite the bullet. same thing goes for Radio and the popular mainstream music. Some folks can't handle the Ipod, some folks can't handle that the individual has a certain original taste in music.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join