It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Not since the switch to DTV,and not much before that either.

Here's why!...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I don't even own a TV anymore. I sold the one that was hanging on our living room wall because we didn't want our children to become addicted. Now that we don't have a TV, life has seemed more enjoyable. My children actually use their creativity, instead of just plopping in front of the cartoons. Also, I definitely see where you are coming from on the whole "dumbing down" issue.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I haven't watched anything on TV in years. Nothing to watch. I remember that even the nature documentary programmes were rehashing old stuff and becoming melodramatic. I couldn't sit through a whole episode without doing something else like reading a book or drawing etc.

The only current use I have for the box is as a pot plant stand. Not even sure if the thing works anymore after I over-water the plant and it leaked

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Elentarri

lol..i had to laugh as i did the same with the one in the bedroom..

wife is still mad at me for that, but hey , who knew watering the plant on top of the t.v. would kill it? (the t.v. not the plant)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

S&F...

A very real topic that seems to be impactig more people than we know.

Like you, when i watch commercials i have to change the channel, i cant stand them...every one is about roping in the sheeple to buy their items or whatever. i have a child and he watched Baby TV and Disney, its no wonder children grow up lost about life because the stupidity thats on these channels. the arent like what they were in the 80's and 90's when i was growing up.

I'd be happy without TV, although i do still like the Xbox and a few Documentaries i.e. Massive Engines, Extreme Engineering

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

yea, i understand, that's why i posted this. commercials just hurt my head,

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Yeah I can't watch adds either, I always channel surf. Especially once you know alittle about how advertisements are designed to work, it turns you off big time.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
It is on right this instant, then again I have the computer hooked up to the TV to use as a monitor, so there you go. TV is useful for something.

As for programing. I had stopped watching television 10 years ago. But recently added basic cable to my internet service so I will watch a movie now and again on the weekend or maybe a documentary on the history channel.

I had seen an episode of Lost while at a friend's house a few years ago and it seemed interesting so I bought the series on DVD, but still have not watched any of the 4th season. I guess it is now the 6th season on TV currently?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I watch way less TV than I used to, I hear ya on that (love my internetz), but I still love to catch Jerry Springer and Maury Povich anytime I can since watching those clustervuts never fail to make me feel a whole lot better about my life. Feeling down in the middle of the day? Throw those shows on.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NASA is ASAN

ha, i remember watching those guys back when, man that was some crazy sh!t

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
ha, i remember watching those guys back when, man that was some crazy sh!t

Yeah, it's definitely crazy, but I can never turn down watching those. Something about it just puts a smile on my face. It's like learning by example, but in reverse. Just do the opposite of what these people do and everything will be all right.

Edited for speeeling.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by NASA is ASAN]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I cut my cable and haven't watched TV ever sense the Americana presidential election .

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Definately agree. TV has its uses as a large screen for other means i.e. computer games, screen for laptop etc. I too like the occasional movie (especially like Avatar, just bought it the other day).

Has anyone ever watched the Kids programme called Special Agent Oso? My son loves it...i actually have to leave the room when its on...it is beyond stupidity.

Adverts, now thats a whole different ball game. They can be funny, especially the Irn-Bru ads, however, the majority are an absolute joke and the majority of people cant see through them. I especially hate the Diet ads and hair/facial product adds...

Grrrrrr!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I only watch the odd football game nowadays.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
Not since the switch to DTV,and not much before that either.

Here's why!...www.abovetopsecret.com...

So, you're really, genuinely afraid that the government is trying to control your brain through a TV signal? Do you realize how stereotypically schizophrenic this sounds? Or are you pulling our legs?

...that aside... I don't watch TV, either; I sold the damn thing for twenty bucks once console video games stopped being any good. I haven't owned one for six years now. I do follow a handful of shows, in particular Lost and The Venture Brothers, but I can't stand to watch even my favorite shows on television; I'll watch them on a legal, legitimate website if available, or download them through bittorrent if they aren't. The one channel I miss, on occasion, is HBO, and that's not for a lack of available movie content on my computer; it's because I liked the combination of frequent new content, whose order I did not determine (as I must do on my computer), delivered without advertising. Even then, I have Netflix to make up for it.

The sheer preponderance of advertising on television is distracting, patronizing, and extremely annoying. The fact that people take it so for granted, and accept it so graciously (especially considering that most Americans watch upwards of 4-6 hours of television per day) is absolutely amazing to me.

If you want evidence of systematic mind control through television, don't look to the waveforms used to encode the signal. Look at the crap they spend the vast majority of their money, and fully one-third of the time, to show you using this signal.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by The Parallelogram]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Several years ago, we gave up cable t.v. and I haven't watched television since. The energy in the house seems better. Too much negativity on t.v. and your subconscious just soaks it all up until you start feeling pissed off and you don't know why. Besides, there is really nothing but absolute junk on the television anymore. Programs didn't used to be so low level, but anymore, watching one program can make you feel like a brainless zombie.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

There are a few shows I still watch most, if not all, are educational. I do, however, turn during the commercials. I haven't watched a full length commercial break in months, I just flip to the next channel in my favorites list and find one that's showing a program until the commercial ends on whatever I was watching.

However lately the only show I've been watching on TV at all is Mythbusters, everything else I want I get on Netflix.

Life without commercials is grand.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
No I just intend to use tv as it was intended. It is just a lamp with some changing colors that takes away the silence of a room if you are not playing music. Or am I wrong.

seriously i don't even know what is on en when and where. And in the case i see a commercial of some stuff i want to see i just grab it from the net.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I can actually sense the thought control and evil frequencies emitting from them so I tend not to, I gotta go though I just saw a plane leave a chem trail and turn around over my house (not kidding).

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I haven't watched TV itself since i was 14 (2 years ago). Sometimes i may watch sportscenter for 15-20 minutes, but it still feels like some other people said, that its like they are shooting missiles at you and trying to get you to move into fear.

I still watch TV shows though, but not on TV. I download my TV shows (Fringe, Supernatural, Ancient Aliens, Colbert/Jon Stewart) from the web and put them on my iPod. Its pretty hard to sit in front of a TV nowadays...

Edit: Big bang theory is an awesome and hilarious show too

[edit on 29-4-2010 by mossme89]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join